Questions about Ford Performance tune

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I’m approaching 18,000 miles on my 2020 Lariat 4x4. I really like the truck, but don’t appreciate the shift programming. The vibration at low RPM is annoying. I already run 93 octane all the time, and it is definitely a better drive than with 87. If I were to get the Ford Performance tune, with no other mods (I will never install the K&N filter) how will it affect normal driving?

The FP website says that it provides “Improved drive-ability and throttle response throughout RPM range, and an optimized shift schedule.” For those who are running this tune, please share your experience in everyday driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I tuned my last 3 vehicles, always makes the shifts better.

Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have had 2 2.3 Ecoboost Mustangs and now a 2.3 Ranger. The 2.3 engine does not like to run smoothly under 1500 rpm.

I put the FP tune on my Ranger when it had about 1500 miles (over 4000 now). It did change the shifting characteristics of the tranny for the good. It keeps the rpm at or above 1500 rpm almost all the time. Only when you are cruising at 45 mph or so and have to slow down to 30 to 35 mph it will not down shift out of 8th without prodding the gas pedal or locking out down to 7th. Also, the engine will now run smooth down to 1300 to 1400 rpm before it becomes ruff.

I went with FP for the warranty since your mileage has consumed over 50% of the warranty FP gives you may want to consider Livernois or one of the other tuners that can tweak the tune to your liking.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’m approaching 18,000 miles on my 2020 Lariat 4x4. I really like the truck, but don’t appreciate the shift programming.
Have you experimented with driving in tow/haul mode?

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive frequently in Tow/Haul and Sport modes. I also lock out some higher gears in hilly terrain in Drive. Tow haul is somewhat useful for keeping the RPMs in a more comfortable range, but the aggressive downhill braking is unnecessary and bothersome without an actual load that requires it. Sport mode is peppy, but spends too much unnecessary time coasting above 3000 RPM for general use.

I would like to see something like a Drive mode that rarely drops below 1500 RPM while under power, and acceleration in the 2000-4000 range. I still want Tow/Haul and Sport modes to work much as they do now. I would like to get rid of the programming that continues to hold a high gear when lightly accelerating under 1500-ish, and never again have the engine almost lugging under 1300 RPM under light acceleration.

If this is what Ford means by “improved driveability,” the Ford tune might be for me. I’m really not interested in a third-party tune.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I drive frequently in Tow/Haul and Sport modes. I also lock out some higher gears in hilly terrain in Drive. Tow haul is somewhat useful for keeping the RPMs in a more comfortable range, but the aggressive downhill braking is unnecessary and bothersome without an actual load that requires it. Sport mode is peppy, but spends too much unnecessary time coasting above 3000 RPM for general use.

I would like to see something like a Drive mode that rarely drops below 1500 RPM while under power, and acceleration in the 2000-4000 range. I still want Tow/Haul and Sport modes to work much as they do now. I would like to get rid of the programming that continues to hold a high gear when lightly accelerating under 1500-ish, and never again have the engine almost lugging under 1300 RPM under light acceleration.

If this is what Ford means by “improved driveability,” the Ford tune might be for me. I’m really not interested in a third-party tune.
I do understand why you ate looking at a tune but I'm not entirely sure if you will truly get what you want with any tune including the Ford Performance Tune. Now I have not run the Ford Performance tune myself(even though I was close) but with the Livernois tune I have found that it really depends on the area I'm in to weather or not I need to assist with the engine breaking or let it do its thing. Now I'm not sure how gnarly the hills of New Hampshire are but if they are anything like what is in Colorado then I can say you wont get the full extent of what you are looking for but I wont be suprised if you get improved shifting after the transmission goes through the relearn process.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I was going to suggest this too. I throw it into tow mode around town a lot. My truck is tuned but it still cruises around town at 1,300-1,400 rpms. Sport mode kicks it all the way up to 2,500+ rpms. Tow mode seems to cruise around town at 1,800 rpms. The only thing I don't like is all the engine braking but it's easier on the truck than lagging IMO.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
what size tires do you have. i had the stock sport size of 255/65/17 on my NON-FX4 4x4 the ford performance tune worked great with it, speedometer was about 1 to 2 MPH off depending on the speed i recently upgraded to 265/65/17 basically the stock fx4 size tires and recalibrated the speedometer so its +/- 0.5 MPH off and now 10th gear is useless below 50-55 mph in the city and it lugs the motor around 1500 rpms. sucks because the FPP tune likes to shift it into the highest gear possible as quickly as possible while cruising. So, I find myself having to manage the gears more so now. Also lost about 2 MPG in my fuel calculations but that is most likely a combination of bigger tire and a tighter speedometer calibration now.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what size tires do you have. i had the stock sport size of 255/65/17 on my NON-FX4 4x4 the ford performance tune worked great with it, speedometer was about 1 to 2 MPH off depending on the speed i recently upgraded to 265/65/17 basically the stock fx4 size tires and recalibrated the speedometer so its +/- 0.5 MPH off and now 10th gear is useless below 50-55 mph in the city and it lugs the motor around 1500 rpms. sucks because the FPP tune likes to shift it into the highest gear possible as quickly as possible while cruising. So, I find myself having to manage the gears more so now. Also lost about 2 MPG in my fuel calculations but that is most likely a combination of bigger tire and a tighter speedometer calibration now.
I am running 265/65R17 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S on a Lariat 4x4 with no mods. As you say, It wants to cruise in 10th gear at 55 MPH at about 1500 RPM, but will hold in 10th all the way down to about 50 MPH. At 50, it will downshift almost immediately with a slight throttle input. I think this is OK. The most annoying behavior is while running errands in town in the 25-40 MPH range, where it wants to run at something like 1200-1300 RPM, and doesn’t readily downshift with throttle input. It feels like a diesel. I punch the Tow/Haul button or shift into Sport mode to wake it up.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Just do it! Ford dealers will tell you, that in order to maintain the vehicle's warranty, a dealer must install it. They may tell you this, but in court, they can't prove zilch. After all, the little box is doing all of the work, not the dealer's personnel.

Side light: My Ranger is very close to 9K miles, and the tune has been done since about 1,500 miles (less than 2 weeks after it became available). One thing is for certain; The shifting is way different, so don't expect Lincoln Town Car smoothness. And don't be surprised if cold starts are a bit more erratic. No, you don't need colder range plugs, unless you abuse the poor beast. Use the K&N, even if you think they're trash—they're not! While you're at it, spend the bucks and install the Borla exhaust system Ford sells. Want a bit more, do a CAI. Want a lot more yet? Then install after-market turbo pipes, and a bigger intercooler. You can also replace the down pipe, but make sure you choose the one with a CAT included (you don't want the ECU problems that would cause!). Stay away from the larger turbo, if you use the Ford tune. Do all of this, and you'll be very happy except for one small item! You'll need to replace the tires, about every 9K miles! I've already ordered replacements.

Oh! One more thing. Get on eBay.com, and order a replacement badge for the tail gate. It is the one which says "Eco-Beast"!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Why do most Ford Dealers act like they know nothing about a tune.
The person you interface at the service desk or when you call the service department is a service writer. The do not need to be technically knowledgeable to do that job so they may not have any awareness of tuning.

Or, the do know about tuning and don't want to get involved for fear of liability issues.

NurseNeil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
The person you interface at the service desk or when you call the service department is a service writer. The do not need to be technically knowledgeable to do that job so they may not have any awareness of tuning.

Or, the do know about tuning and don't want to get involved for fear of liability issues.
Well the writer should know what services they offer, let alone no one has called back. May just have to pay a visit...

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Just do it! Ford dealers will tell you, that in order to maintain the vehicle's warranty, a dealer must install it. They may tell you this, but in court, they can't prove zilch. After all, the little box is doing all of the work, not the dealer's personnel.
Quite easy for the dealer/Ford to tell if the engine has been tuned. Ford issued a document to dealers that has a diagnostic tree for telling if the ECU has been modified some time ago. If you don't go through the process to register the tune then it will be treated just as though it was any other aftermarket tune.

Of course the law states that the manufacturer has to prove that the tune caused the failure to deny the warranty claim, but it is easy for them to say it is and you are left with the expense of fighting Ford in court. Your lawyer fees will likely be more than the cost of a new engine.

If you have chosen the FP it would short sited not to go through the process to register it for the warranty. Doesn't have to be the dealer installing it, just an ASE certified tech.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Well the writer should know what services they offer, let alone no one has called back. May just have to pay a visit...
The dealer is not required to install Ford Performance parts so why would there be an expectation they know anything about them if they don't.

There used to be a list of Ford Performance authorized dealers on the FP web site. There are two Ford dealers near me. One is a FP authorized dealer and I here of folks going there to have all kinds of performance work done. They also sell Rousch and Shelby vehicles. They had a Shelby F-150 parked out front not to long ago. If you want the dealer to install the tune I would suggest seeking one of these dealers.
Sponsored