Ranger vs Gladiator

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
To me I guess it goes back to the same old thing - "You get what you pay for".
To me, that's the most useless advice--are you paying for a high quality product or paying a grifter to take you for a ride? The price is no indicator.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I did see many comments about the actual APPLICATION of the wrap which would jive with your comments (which make perfect sense). If you get some cheap, fly by night operation that uses crappy materials I think the chances that you get the issues you are talking about are much higher. If you use good quality materials applied by a skilled professional, I think your chances of having those kinds of problems are much smaller, and typically the wrap would help protect the paint.

To me I guess it goes back to the same old thing - "You get what you pay for".
Yes I will amend what I said and admit I was wrong. A “properly” done rap will not ruin a factory finish. Still for me though cost vs. lifespan is just not good enough.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To me, that's the most useless advice--are you paying for a high quality product or paying a grifter to take you for a ride? The price is no indicator.
I’m not really understanding your comment.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Look at these 2 and tell me one isn’t far better looking and as a bonus out preforms the other in every class. Not a hard decision really.

953C05DB-3D00-48BC-955A-5B1D04448850.jpeg
Aesthetics is usually subjective……. For me i like the rangers look better, but never been a fan of the way jeeps look. In addition, the jeep rubicons are superior in offroad but at what 10-15k more…., but i believe in most other comparisons, the ranger does better.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What's unclear? The old line "you get what you pay for" is bs.
Oh you mean just in general that line is BS? That could be. But as long as you’re talking about a “legitimate” product or service, in general, more expensive stuff is usually better.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
Shoot, give me a Lariat FX4 and the extra $10k that the Rubicon would cost for mods to the Ranger. You could do a lot of badass mods to a Ranger with $10k. Better on road manners and a very capable off-roader.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Any vehicle not maintained will have issues. I drove my JKU wrangler for 87,000 miles for eight years as a DD. Never had an issue with death wobble or wandering. To write off all solid front axle vehicles because of what you read on the internet or seeing one porly maintained truck is extreme.

Totally agree. I've owned 3 TJs and a Cherokee all solid live front axles and lifted with no issues.
I've also owned 2 Ram 2500s with no issue and most recently a F-350 Dually which I pulled a 48' race hauler with living quarters weighing over 22k lbs at its lightest and never had an issue at any highway speed or road condition.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
US Army Rangers might have something to say about that..
I was thinking the exact same thing. That' like telling a SEAL he's an animal trained to do tricks to entertain you.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Any vehicle not maintained will have issues. I drove my JKU wrangler for 87,000 miles for eight years as a DD. Never had an issue with death wobble or wandering. To write off all solid front axle vehicles because of what you read on the internet or seeing one porly maintained truck is extreme.

OP, if your going to primarily stay on the asphalt the ranger will suit you. If off-roading is your thing like Moab trips and challenging trails then get the rubicon gladiator. If your talking non rubicon gladiator then a FX4 will out perform a gladiator in all on and off road comparisons.
I'm inclined to agree with your "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" assessment of solid front axle vehicles but at the same time, both the F350 and Gladiators in question had to have been less than a year old. Not sure that fits your poorly maintained M.O.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Look at these 2 and tell me one isn’t far better looking and as a bonus out preforms the other in every class. Not a hard decision really.

953C05DB-3D00-48BC-955A-5B1D04448850.jpeg
There is something to be said about the ability to remove all doors and roof and roll down the road with the wind in your face, But I have the ranger in the end. Couldn't justify the 50K for equivalent truck.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
There is something to be said about the ability to remove all doors and roof and roll down the road with the wind in your face, But I have the ranger in the end. Couldn't justify the 50K for equivalent truck.
That's what Harley's are for

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4