Welcome to the Offroad Forum!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'll have to convince the family to let me drag them all the way to Colorado then, Michigan has little in the way of legal offroading that isn't way too extreme for a brand new truck.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Same truck here. Live in Ft Collins. Just bought cabin on Christal Mt 8600 ft. Off road haven. We could launch a meet from there.
Oh that would be a lot of fun. Definitely keep me in the loop if you decide to go wheeling I could come out. We could arrange a nice photo shoot too. I’ll bring the gear!

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
Oh that would be a lot of fun. Definitely keep me in the loop if you decide to go wheeling I could come out. We could arrange a nice photo shoot too. I’ll bring the gear!
How do we get in touch?

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If you're going wheeling together, I suggest setting up some kind of in-cab communications gear while on the trail (most likely zero cell signal). Cheap two-way radios may work, but not ideal due to short distances and low sound quality. I started with a low-end CB handheld radio (Midland 75-822, $99), coupled with a magnetic rooftop antenna; I still use it now (though I've upgraded to a 4-ft. antenna attached to the winch bumper):

Here's a link to the handheld CB radio:
https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-75...eld+cb+radio&qid=1551974819&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Ham radio is even better, but that's for further down the road.

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
If you're going wheeling together, I suggest setting up some kind of in-cab communications gear while on the trail (most likely zero cell signal). Cheap two-way radios may work, but not ideal due to short distances and low sound quality. I started with a low-end CB handheld radio (Midland 75-822, $99), coupled with a magnetic rooftop antenna; I still use it now (though I've upgraded to a 4-ft. antenna attached to the winch bumper):

Here's a link to the handheld CB radio:
https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-75...eld+cb+radio&qid=1551974819&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Ham radio is even better, but that's for further down the road.
You are correct about no communication except CB. However, the weekenders and full time residnece have an established network of radios. I purchased two and keep one in my truck.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm an Extra class ham operator, the "elitists" always complain about the people who still use CB's. I always laugh because the chance of me getting heard on CB is infinitely better than the chance of me being heard on HF/UHF/VHF if I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm an Extra class ham operator, the "elitists" always complain about the people who still use CB's. I always laugh because the chance of me getting heard on CB is infinitely better than the chance of me being heard on HF/UHF/VHF if I'm out in the middle of nowhere.
That's why I have BOTH! In all seriousness, though, if one's out in the middle of nowhere (no one around within a 10-mile radius), CB would obviously not work, but if one identifies a ham repeater station that's within a 20-mile radius and perhaps even farther (I've reached repeaters over 50 miles away), prior to the trip - help is there, as someone's usually listening in, from up to 50 miles away, and can call in help on one's behalf.

A group of us went wheeling in a remote area in California a few years ago; one rig broke an axle and had to turn around and limp back to camp. As we drove in opposite directions, CB soon went out of range, so we switched to ham radio, using a repeater that was perhaps 10 miles away. The broken rig periodically reported its progress to the main group all the way back to camp, and a local hamster who was listening in to our broadcasts then directed him to the nearest repair shop. He was back wheeling with us by the next morning. Moral of the story? Bring added flexibility on the trail - we use CBs when we're in close proximity, but usually have two or more ham operators in the group in case of emergencies (we pre-identify nearby ham repeater stations prior to heading out on the trip/trail).

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@t4thfavor If you're able to reach a HAM WIN System repeater, I'd be able to chat with you in Michigan from California ;-)

73, KM6DPW
Or D-Star, Echolink, etc :)

I agree that Ham has a much better range, but there are usually more ears listening to CB at any given time in my experience (Or Hams just don't reply).
(73, AD8CJ)

jsiedle1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew
I'll have to convince the family to let me drag them all the way to Colorado then, Michigan has little in the way of legal offroading that isn't way too extreme for a brand new truck.
What about those dunes i keep hearing about?! I'd make the drive up from Ohio for that.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver lake has the dunes, since the sleeping bear dunes closed it's pretty crowded up there though. Worth at least one trip, but it's really easy to break what you drove there with.

Try going during the week when the regular riff raff is stuck at work (my advice).

I like to hit the pipelines and forestry trails in the UP though, it's much more relaxed, and you can do a bit of fishing in between drives.

smlford

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 SRW, CC diesel, Ranger, 2.3l gas, Porsche 986S
77A8A933-0A2C-4EA1-8212-DCF3465A20E0.jpeg
I’ve done some remote travel as well.
This is in Botswana...

@Robby887

Diamond Sponsor