2019 Ranger prone to fuel making its.way into oil?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Occupation
Window cleaner
There is a thread on this forum where a user states or indicates a widespread problem with gas leaking into crankcase diluting the oil is this true do any of you have this issue it's the one issue that has caused me to do pass on this truck
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is a thread on this forum where a user states or indicates a widespread problem with gas leaking into crankcase diluting the oil is this true do any of you have this issue it's the one issue that has caused me to do pass on this truck
Hi John,

The percentage of Rangers with problems such as indicated is very small, but I cannot say what that percentage is. There were a batch of faulty injectors and a few high pressure pump replacements under warranty. Please research the threads on this topic.

I am of the "biased" opinion that the Ranger is a competitive offering in today's market and hope you can test drive some Rangers to help you make your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not me - there are a few people who have had the issue, but I believe at least one person got it resolved by either having the HPFP replaced or the injectors (or both). I've had no issues with my engine "making oil". Oil level has stayed consistent.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have yet to run into this issue. The only gripes I have with the truck is oil filter location and lack of storage under the rear seats. Other than that the truck is great. Yes plenty of bugs still need to be worked out since we are getting ready for the third year but conpared to other trucks on the market I personally feel the Ranger is at the top. I have also talked to others who have come out of the Canyon/Colorado, Tacoma and myself with Frontier and all have said nothing hold a candle to the Ranger. So perhaps you sgould re consider.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to run into this issue. The only gripes I have with the truck is oil filter location and lack of storage under the rear seats. Other than that the truck is great. Yes plenty of bugs still need to be worked out since we are getting ready for the third year but conpared to other trucks on the market I personally feel the Ranger is at the top. I have also talked to others who have come out of the Canyon/Colorado, Tacoma and myself with Frontier and all have said nothing hold a candle to the Ranger. So perhaps you sgould re consider.
I don't get the hate for the oil filter - I actually really like it - it is easy to get to and get on and off and they did that cool little "tray" so that oil doesn't drip all over your suspension. I was worried about it until I did my first oil change - it was one of the easiest filters to change.

I can't disagree about the back seat - between the lackluister storage and the fact it doesn't fold flat, that was one area where Ford missed the mark.

I do think the Ranger is the best mid size truck out there right now for sure.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't get the hate for the oil filter - I actually really like it - it is easy to get to and get on and off and they did that cool little "tray" so that oil doesn't drip all over your suspension. I was worried about it until I did my first oil change - it was one of the easiest filters to change.

I can't disagree about the back seat - between the lackluister storage and the fact it doesn't fold flat, that was one area where Ford missed the mark.

I do think the Ranger is the best mid size truck out there right now for sure.
I wont argue that they made up with the dip trays for the filter. I have seen way worse. I just hate the location. It would have been nice for it to be in a lower spot near the drain plug but then again we are talking about the same manufacturer that went to circle the answer to the problem and messed up the circle(lol and yes i have made quite a few ford guys hate me for that one).

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I wont argue that they made up with the dip trays for the filter. I have seen way worse. I just hate the location. It would have been nice for it to be in a lower spot near the drain plug but then again we are talking about the same manufacturer that went to circle the answer to the problem and messed up the circle(lol and yes i have made quite a few ford guys hate me for that one).
Ranger oil catch valley is a nice idea.

My '94 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee dumped oil directly on the starter motor when the side-mounted filter was loosened.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Occupation
Window cleaner
So you signed up for a Ranger forum just to post a thread that you passed on buying one?

Thanks, I guess....
I have not bought a truck yet do agree ranger feels very nice when driven. The tacoma is so slow but there was anither thread similar.to.this one and there were.over 50 psges

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have not bought a truck yet do agree ranger feels very nice when driven. The tacoma is so slow but there was anither thread similar.to.this one and there were.over 50 psges
Dont let one little thing scare you away from a vehicle. If anything you should be scared of Toyota.... The one company to deny there is a problem with thier vehicles when they are speeding out of control and people are dieing. Also the fact that the Toyota Tacoma is way too slow to even consider for the street. I have also had my truck offroad both stock and modified and it does well!! Can you still run into some kind of problem? Yes but chances are it will be such a small deal that it can be fixed easily.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hi John,

The percentage of Rangers with problems such as indicated is very small, but I cannot say what that percentage is. There were a batch of faulty injectors and a few high pressure pump replacements under warranty. Please research the threads on this topic.

I am of the "biased" opinion that the Ranger is a competitive offering in today's market and hope you can test drive some Rangers to help you make your decision.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I get it Phil....pension check, and all that. And, you are correct. :)

John, I suggest you not worry about that. Forums are places where many people go to talk about a problem with their vehicles. Very seldom do they come in to say, "Hey, my rides great, I love it"

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

John, I suggest you not worry about that. Forums are places where many people go to talk about a problem with their vehicles. Very seldom does do they come to say, "Hey, my rides great, I love it"
Hi Jim,

No pension check....took a buyout many years ago on advice of my financial advisor. Got the money working for me in investments and do not have to worry if Ford tanks in the future.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Hi, mine rides great too...
In reality forums are places, generally, to vent and discuss problems. So, expect To find high porportion of issues. It’s the nature of their existence.
My wife insisted I test drive the Tacoma’s before Deciding on the Ranger. I test drove a Limited...sweet looking truck. Worst driving truck I have ever been in. The drivers seat felt like a cushion from my grandads fishing boat in the 1970’s. Horrible ride. I could not get out fast enough. Wanted to walk back to the dealership.
My 2019 Ranger has no issues with gas in the oil. Gas goes in the tank and turns into awesome hp’s. Oil stays where it’s supposed to as well.

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
There is definitely some Rangers that have this issue. After they reported this issue on the forum, a lot of other owners got extra catious and starting looking for any sign that gas was getting into their oil. Lots of people found some indication of fuel in their oil (including me) because It's normal for turbo'd GDI engines to have low levels of fuel dilution*. The biggest problem is that there's no clear definition of when that dilution becomes excessive and indicative of a problem.

Early on, my oil level rose slightly and my first oil change tested at 6% fuel. Once broken in, the oil no longer rises. Second oil change is upcoming and I'll get it tested just in case. Bottom line: from my experience I wouldn't let this scare you away from the Ranger.

*You can Google "fuel dilution" and the name of any car model with a turbo GDI, and you'll find a forum where people have fretted about this issue with their car.

OP
OP
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota corolla
Occupation
Window cleaner

John, I suggest you not worry about that. Forums are places where many people go to talk about a problem with their vehicles. Very seldom does do they come to say, "Hey, my rides great, I love it"
I agree.but.another concern is
hey my rides great I love it.

but on a serious note, I passed on a toyata because i read on a forum a guy had starting issues.
so glad I didnt make that mistake like him. what an idiot, he got sucked in
Well after doing a lot of research I do know the EcoBoost engines have also issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves that require Careful Cleaning also heard in some cases the valve train has to be removed to do that I'm probably going to pass on the Ranger not a big fan of Heist trust turbocharged engine and I'm going to probably get the Tacoma normally ask for a 2.7 L 4-cylinder even though it's underpowered I know those engines last forever
Sponsored