First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Like was said if four door only, way to small bed for anything useful. Not big enough or heavy enough to tow anything useful safely. Especially without a frame. I see a very limited market for it.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Like was said if four door only, way to small bed for anything useful. Not big enough or heavy enough to tow anything useful safely. Especially without a frame. I see a very limited market for it.
So it may be like a modern day Ford Ranchero, or Chevy El Camino. I remember as a very young kid, my dream car/truck was an El Camino ?

Deleted member 1634

I don't know. It'd be perfect for those weekend trips to the home improvement store, forest road camping trips, hauling bikes, and with 3500-5000lb towing (where I'd imagine it would be) that's good enough for most small campers, boats, and utility trailers.

It also depends how big, bulky, and unnecessarily overpowered they make the Ranger in the coming generations. If it goes the way of the full-size wars of size and power explosion, then there's plenty of us, myself included, who will want another smaller truck option.

Honestly the only reason I have a Ranger is because it's the smallest thing out there that still does what I want it to do. If there was something smaller that still met my light duty needs, then I'd probably go for it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So it may be like a modern day Ford Ranchero, or Chevy El Camino. I remember as a very young kid, my dream car/truck was an El Camino ?

Agreed Rancheros and El Caminos were cool in their time. They were both two doors and at least had a useful length bed. And they at least in the beginning, not sure about later, had frames. My comment was more aimed at it being a 4 door only unibody.

I don't know. It'd be perfect for those weekend trips to the home improvement store, forest road camping trips, hauling bikes, and with 3500-5000lb towing (where I'd imagine it would be) that's good enough for most small campers, boats, and utility trailers.
I feel there may be a market for them in the beginning. just not very long lasting. People will grow out of them rather fast and up-size. As far as towing goes, yes the drive train may have the power to pull those weights. I personally wouldn't put even a class 2 hitch on a unibody. That would limit you to maybe 2000lb, definitely nothing with weight distribution or requiring brakes. Small pop-up camper or utility trailer. towing requires not only enough power but also enough weight to control the trailer when it get out of shape.

These are my opinions and I am sure others will vary. I just don't see a very long term market out there, especially in the US with our bigger is better mentality. For right now my Ranger is the perfect size. Always, subject to change.

Deleted member 1634

I feel there may be a market for them in the beginning. just not very long lasting. People will grow out of them rather fast and up-size. As far as towing goes, yes the drive train may have the power to pull those weights. I personally wouldn't put even a class 2 hitch on a unibody. That would limit you to maybe 2000lb, definitely nothing with weight distribution or requiring brakes. Small pop-up camper or utility trailer. towing requires not only enough power but also enough weight to control the trailer when it get out of shape.

These are my opinions and I am sure others will vary. I just don't see a very long term market out there, especially in the US with our bigger is better mentality. For right now my Ranger is the perfect size. Always, subject to change.
I agree that's the ultimate issue. The bigger is better mentality. It's the reason everyone wants SUVs and bigger trucks, when in reality a large majority of people only need compacts or sedans. So realistically, a small Maverick pick-up would be all a majority of truck people would need, but I'll agree that socially not many will end up going for it because it's "too small and wimpy". So Ford is taking a gamble on realism for once.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I agree that's the ultimate issue. The bigger is better mentality. It's the reason everyone wants SUVs and bigger trucks, when in reality a large majority of people only need compacts or sedans. So realistically, a small Maverick pick-up would be all a majority of truck people would need, but I'll agree that socially not many will end up going for it because it's "too small and wimpy". So Ford is taking a gamble on realism for once.
don't forget "it doesn't have the same frame design as a model T, so the manufacturer's towing and payload specs MUST be wrong"

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase

It also depends how big, bulky, and unnecessarily overpowered they make the Ranger in the coming generations. If it goes the way of the full-size wars of size and power explosion, then there's plenty of us, myself included, who will want another smaller truck option.

Honestly the only reason I have a Ranger is because it's the smallest thing out there that still does what I want it to do. If there was something smaller that still met my light duty needs, then I'd probably go for it.
Only if you are going to the hardware store for a new screwdriver. My Ranger with the 5 foot bed is bare minimum size to haul some drywall home along with 8 foot long 2x's. No chance you are getting drywall or plywood sheets in a Maverick if the bed is less than 5 feet, and you aren't getting any lumber home either. I'm with some of the other posters on this thread that the Maverick would be too small to be useful and will have a very small and limited market.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Expect it to be in line with the Fiato Toro in size and capability.

1920px-Fiat_Toro_2018_in_Punta_del_Este_(front)_01.jpg

Per some info posted on a Maverick forum (and reported by Auto123). The thread is summarized below from the Auto123 article (I bolded the interesting stuff)

First off, the model will be presented initially solely in a four-door format, and feature a bed that’s about two feet shorter than that of the Ford Ranger, depending on the configuration chosen. Motor1 did some math and came up with a likely bed length of between 94 and 124 cm.

Next, though there had been rumours to the effect the Maverick would be placed under the Bronco product banner, that is apparently not so. That may or may not mean the truck won’t be conceived as a rough-and-ready all-terrain vehicle.

The source stated further that, Ford being unsure just what the potential is for such a model in North America, several components will be borrowed from the mechanics of the Transit Connect van to keep development costs down. These components would include the 162-hp 2.0L 4-cylinder engine, and probably the van’s 8-speed automatic transmission as well (though a manual gearbox will be an option, the source says).

Ford is also said to be planning to bring in the option of boosting output with a 180-hp 1.5L turbo engine once the model is launched.

Lastly, Ford has pencilled in a production run of 100,000 units for the Maverick’s first year on the market. As a comparison, the company sold just under 90,000 units of the Ranger during its first full year on the North American market, in 2019.

Current speculation has the Ford Maverick being presented sometime in 2021, and debuting commercially as a 2022 model.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Motor1 did some math and came up with a likely bed length of between 94 and 124 cm.

Hmm!, A 3 to 4 foot bed. And some people complain the rangers 5 foot is too short. Still not seeing it.
Sponsored