First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so i need someone to check my thoughts here please.... i want to use one switch as a trigger for two lights that demand more juice than one switch and one relay will provide and still give full brightness. my idea is use a second relay, that is triggered by the power wire of the first relay. both relays would be getting power from the trucks battery ( with fuses etc ). I dont see why it wouldnt work but am i missing something ? Why you may ask - I have already installed a six button switch panel that i want to keep. but have more than six lights. the lights i want to run off one switch are both spots, so one "spot" switch makes sense. a really rough diagram lol. Im open to ideas.
b.png
Sponsored

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
so i need someone to check my thoughts here please.... i want to use one switch as a trigger for two lights that demand more juice than one switch and one relay will provide and still give full brightness. my idea is use a second relay, that is triggered by the power wire of the first relay. both relays would be getting power from the trucks battery ( with fuses etc ). I dont see why it wouldnt work but am i missing something ? Why you may ask - I have already installed a six button switch panel that i want to keep. but have more than six lights. the lights i want to run off one switch are both spots, so one "spot" switch makes sense. a really rough diagram lol. Im open to ideas.
b.png
Should work fine, as long as both relays get power to their trigger they will be active.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Question, why a ground wire from the switch to the battery?

Last edited:

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Qestion, why a ground wire from the switch to the battery?
To smoke the switch of course. Sometimes you just need fireworks đź’Ą.

Really don’t use the switch ground wire. The relay is already grounded.

Roscoe_t

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL Supercab
You can get 75-amp 12v relays ... would you really need two? One relay might simplify your wiring.

20XLRangerFraptor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Jet Mechanic
late night scribbles in paint lol.
What lighs are you trying to wire and whats the amps draw per light? I have all my "pairs" of light hooked to 1 relay. Not sure the need for 2 relays to power 2 lights. I'll soon have a set of 5 lights still hooked to 1 relay and signaled from 1 switch. It will be on a 50 amp relay and 40 amps fuse. All 5 lights will be pulling about 25 amps.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm curious why you can't get LEDs that are bright enough now a days. I mean, the comments about getting a big relay are valid, and if you already have a bunch of small relays and the regular incandescent lights, then it will work as you show. But, there are 'better' ways to go about it, unless, like I said, you already have the parts and just want to make it work.
Sponsored