First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 2020
Occupation
driver
I bought this adapter from Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter - Make Your Wired CarPlay WIRELESS. I had my doubts at first since its only $90 shipped with discount code.
Its super tiny and works very well. I was surprised. It doesn't lag at all and for some odd reason, it made my Carplay more stable. The cable method takes awhile to load sometimes and other times it fails.
Just thought someone might want to try a cheaper option that works. You’ll have to delete your bluetooth profiles on the Ford ranger and also on your phone before you plug this in. Once you do that, plug in the adapter, click yes on the infotainment screen and then connect your phone to the wireless adapter.
The vast majority of the time, I don’t want to charge my phone. I just want CarPlay. I don’t want to take my phone out of my pocket either. When I take my phone out of my pocket in the Ford ranger 2020, I leave it there by accident a fair amount. Wireless CarPlay with a plug in fallback is a great option for me. At the end of the day it depends on the person I suppose but wireless CarPlay is a huge feature for me.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I got one of those for my wife's Jeep last summer. My wife doesn't want to deal with any hiccups of any kind and she does not complain about the CarPlay adapter so that means it works.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Bought this last week:

Wireless CarPlay Adapter 2022 for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4K1FNTC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Chose this one because it seemed to be plug and play, and it essentially was. Deleted truck from Bluetooth, plugged it in, paired it and it works flawlessly. Takes about 15 seconds to connect but so far much faster and more reliable than plugging in. I always had to fiddle with the plug and disconnect/reconnect. This is much easier.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Interesting. First post on the site for the thread creator and first post for the the positive follow up. Gee...ya think they're getting paid to do this? At least offer a coupon code or something, ugh!

Russd

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw bus 4runner
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One and done x 2
???
Might as well just say I’m here to sell this thing.

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
I bought one of these last week. It seems to work fine in that it connects my carplay wirelessly, but when I make phone calls the people on the other end of the connection say that I'm really quiet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one of these last week. It seems to work fine in that it connects my carplay wirelessly, but when I make phone calls the people on the other end of the connection say that I'm really quiet. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Do you have Waze on your phone?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
People say I'm WAY too quiet no matter how my phone is connected - wired, or wireless though this dongle. This has been an ongoing issue since this generation of trucks was new:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/carplay-microphone-volume-level.2248/

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Strange, it never happened with my previous android phone, and it doesn't happen when I'm wire-connected. Just when using the dongle.

DangerRanger8721

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
This was like the 1st thing I bought for my ranger (march 2021) I’ve never had an issue with being too quiet so I’m just gonna throw a couple things out there…..

1) are you driving with the windows down allowing alot of noise (wind and or traffic) phones try to cancel out excessive background noise and could cause your volume to drop as well

2) is there anything blocking the overhead mic?

These are just what popped into my mind while reading this. It’s possible there’s a setting on the phone affecting it as well but again that’s just a guess.

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
No to 1 and 2. It works fine when I'm plugged into carplay, I just want it to work the same when I'm using wireless.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
This was like the 1st thing I bought for my ranger (march 2021) I’ve never had an issue with being too quiet so I’m just gonna throw a couple things out there…..

1) are you driving with the windows down allowing alot of noise (wind and or traffic) phones try to cancel out excessive background noise and could cause your volume to drop as well

2) is there anything blocking the overhead mic?

These are just what popped into my mind while reading this. It’s possible there’s a setting on the phone affecting it as well but again that’s just a guess.
No to 1 and 2. It works fine when I'm connected to the truck via Bluetooth only - i.e., NOT through carplay of any kind. Mic picks up my voice with no problem. However, when I try to make a call when the phone is either wired carplay, or through the wireless carplay dongle discussed in this thread, nobody can hear me. The gain on the mic is WAY too quiet.

(Ninja Edit: I'll add that when I'm on a call via carplay and people complain I'm too quiet, if I tap on the mic grill above my head, they say that they can hear the tapping - when I tap my phone, they cannot hear that. I initially thought the phone was just choosing the wrong mic, but it is clearly using the mic built into the truck. It's just too damn quiet when I'm on carplay of any kind.)

As I mentioned above, this is a long-standing problem with these trucks. I do see some folks mentioning that merely having Waze installed may be causing this... which I'm skeptical of (as an iOS developer, with a decent understanding of how apps are sandboxed/etc) ... but I *do* have Waze installed on this phone (though I rarely use it). I may try completely removing Waze to see if somehow that fixes the mic through carplay.
Sponsored