First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I just had a rock crack my windshield this morning, and find myself wondering what to do. In the past, Safelite has been my go-to replacement company as they have never failed to give excellent service on my personal vehicles and on the Freightliner I used to own. Good people, for sure.

That said, with all the bells and whistles my XLT seems to have, I wonder if it's still ok to have Safelite replace the windshield, or is this something that should be done by the Ford dealer (do they even do replacements) because of the recalibrations needed?

Or do I get Safelite to do the install and THEN go to Ford for recalibration? What's the proper procedure for doing this (I do have glass coverage on my insurance...)

Thanks for any insights y'all may have!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gguillory

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford rangerGerald
I just had a rock crack my windshield this morning, and find myself wondering what to do. In the past, Safelite has been my go-to replacement company as they have never failed to give excellent service on my personal vehicles and on the Freightliner I used to own. Good people, for sure.

That said, with all the bells and whistles my XLT seems to have, I wonder if it's still ok to have Safelite replace the windshield, or is this something that should be done by the Ford dealer (do they even do replacements) because of the recalibrations needed?

Or do I get Safelite to do the install and THEN go to Ford for recalibration? What's the proper procedure for doing this (I do have glass coverage on my insurance...)

Thanks for any insights y'all may have!
I would have Safelite do your glass. The guy that did mine said no aftermarket has been put in to production yet. Then you can go to your dealer and have the camera calibration done.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Get glass coverage asap, this thing is a rock-magnet...not sure if its the angle or material quality but I've already got some serious dings/scars and only recall one hard audible 'hit'. Seems like there are new ones every week when I wash it. My glass deductible is $50 so I have no problem dropping it off at the stealership for an eventual replacement if no one else has...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
All this dealer exclusive stuff is going to really put the bite on consumers.
They tried this with OBDI... Remember?
I am really concerned about the declining skills at dealerships and the increasing lack of cooperation with the aftermarket, consumers and private shops.
Do we really want a vehicle which is at the complete mercy of the manufacturer from cradle to grave? That will mean ever increasing prices with ever declining service.
Dealers are only good when they are kept honest by the aftermarket and private shops.
It is astonishing that something as simple as camera calibration could be proprietary.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had my windshield replaced about a month ago at Speedy Glass up here in Canada. They used an OEM windshield and were able to calibrate the camera themselves. Thankfully I have glass coverage because the bill was over 1400.00 CDN
It appears that Speedy Glass is owned by the same company that owns Safelite so you’d like to think they’d be able to offer equivalent service and be able to competently calibrate the camera without having to involve the dealership.

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Mine cracked a few weeks after I got it. Dealer said it looked like an installation problem and they replaced it for free at dealer. Gave me a sweet new explorer to drive for the day. I had already leveled it so they even recalibrated my camera at the same time. They did it all for free. Awesome guys there.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine cracked a few weeks after I got it. Dealer said it looked like an installation problem and they replaced it for free at dealer. Gave me a sweet new explorer to drive for the day. I had already leveled it so they even recalibrated my camera at the same time. They did it all for free. Awesome guys there.
Hi Robert,

When you find a Dealer like this...KEEP them. Here in Green Valley, we have a dealer that is all about minimal. Most dealers wash the customer's vehicle...not here... I wish to use the term I call them but their Lawyers would be all over me...So search Green Valley Ford Dealer.... Minimal customer focus. Infact Microscope focus on the customer. Want a new Hyundai, Screw Ford.... I LOVE this dealership...NOT....

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Hi Robert,

When you find a Dealer like this...KEEP them. Here in Green Valley, we have a dealer that is all about minimal. Most dealers wash the customer's vehicle...not here... I wish to use the term I call them but their Lawyers would be all over me...So search Green Valley Ford Dealer.... Minimal customer focus. Infact Microscope focus on the customer. Want a new Hyundai, Screw Ford.... I LOVE this dealership...NOT....
Bates Ford in Lebanon TN. I've bought 4 new cars and 1 used. They have been awesome. They warranted a mass air flow on my wife's old SVT focus and it had a K&N cold air kit on it which I'm sure had something to do with it. They have been awesome. Small town folks who grew up here. Cares about people more than bottom line I guess. When went and looked at Rangers. I almost bough a STX but I was unhappy the model didn't have the rear locker. He said dont settle today i will get you the one you want. I was read y to buy. But 2 weeks later he called said he had the XLT sport sport that I should see. I smile everytime I see it in the driveway.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Hi Robert,

The Hyundai Dealership washes my car every time I take it in for service. My old Ford Dealership, Rowe Auburn, did the same. The dealership I orderd my truck from? Nope. Never washed it. They are also the ones who quoted me $3000 to put the Fox Shocks in. I may try out Rowe Westbrook for service, buts its a 20 mile drive up the turnpike and their lot is always crowded as hell.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not sure why everybody is always concerned about OEM glass.

The OEM glass isn't made by Ford. It's made by Carlex, who owns Carlite, who makes almost every aftermarket windshield installed in the US.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Bates Ford in Lebanon TN. I've bought 4 new cars and 1 used. They have been awesome. They warranted a mass air flow on my wife's old SVT focus and it had a K&N cold air kit on it which I'm sure had something to do with it. They have been awesome. Small town folks who grew up here. Cares about people more than bottom line I guess. When went and looked at Rangers. I almost bough a STX but I was unhappy the model didn't have the rear locker. He said dont settle today i will get you the one you want. I was read y to buy. But 2 weeks later he called said he had the XLT sport sport that I should see. I smile everytime I see it in the driveway.
Wait, so you were ready to buy a vehicle and the dealer told you NOT to? Wow!

I know what you mean about small town folks, though. My wife comes from a farming family and has a bunch of siblings, and her parents have always gone to the same dealership for vehicles for themselves and their kids. They wouldn't think of going anywhere else, as they've always been treated right. Over the years, the family has bought at least 20 vehicles from this dealership, and now get their own special family discount. It's a GM dealership, but nobody's perfect.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Has anyone had to replace a windshield?
Had a rock hit mine and it split.
I'm hopeful that a new one will look as good as factory?
I've always requested OEM windshields and never had a problem getting one. Not sure about TX, but FL had $0 deductible for repair and replacement.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
A small pebble hit my window when I was doing 45MPH. It didn't hit hard, but it cracked the window. It created a small 1/2" long horizontal crack dead center in my line of site. I took it to Safelite for repair since my insurance covered it. The guy was great and said he could fill it, but it would still be somewhat visible. It would required hooking up a small machine that punches a hole so that the resin can fill-in between the layers. The problem with that is that it still leaves a small circular area that is plainly visible where the machine punches the hole.

The other option was to repair the traditional way with the resin injection. If the resin gets in, then the crack starts to disappear. I opted for that. It helped, but when the light reflects off the glass at certain angles it shines like a damn jewel.

Now I wish I would have just had it replaced. I'm going to call my insurance company (Geico) next week and see if that can be done. I have a $250 glass replacement deductible.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I would wonder if aftermarket windshields would have the sound coating my Lariat came with. If insurance wanted me to get the less expensive aftermarket one (if ever available) it would have to come with that coating for sure.

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Wait, so you were ready to buy a vehicle and the dealer told you NOT to? Wow!

I know what you mean about small town folks, though. My wife comes from a farming family and has a bunch of siblings, and her parents have always gone to the same dealership for vehicles for themselves and their kids. They wouldn't think of going anywhere else, as they've always been treated right. Over the years, the family has bought at least 20 vehicles from this dealership, and now get their own special family discount. It's a GM dealership, but nobody's perfect.
They seem more about getting you exactly what you want. I've moved about 30 miles away and drove by 3 Ford dealers to get there. I will never buy from another dealer.
Sponsored