port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
so heres some data pilfered from a website (uses NHTSA data as well) to digest. take it for what it is....its a bitch site where people complain and much of it isnt backed up with facts ? + ?.
I have linked F150, mustang and explorer data for 2019 and 2020, as well as the Ranger.
Interesting read to see some other unique problems encountered.
not alot for windsheilds though.....

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2019/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2020/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Mustang/2019/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Mustang/2020/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2019/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2020/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Ranger/2019/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Ranger/2020/

About CarComplaints.com ®
CarComplaints.com ® is an online automotive complaint resource that uses graphs to show automotive defect patterns, based on complaint data submitted by visitors to the site. The complaints are organized into groups with data published by vehicle, vehicle component, and specific problem.
Mental note to self: Do NOT antagonize @RANGER PRIDE . :)
Sponsored

Hubcap91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Similar thing happened to me on a 2017 Escape. We live in Kentucky so we aren't exactly experts on cold weather but we do sometimes get days below 0. I was warming the car up for my wife when it was about -3° and the windshield cracked horizontally from edge to edge while I was sitting in the driver seat. Windshield guy told me not to use max defrost when it is single digits or lower. Idk how true that is but so far so good. Happy to have free windshields in Kentucky.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I understand your bias but have you seen other post on other forums regarding shields cracking in Explorers, Mustangs and F150s while using the defroster? A quick google search eludes to this being a wide spread problem. I am not looking to be pleased, but I expect things to work as designed without damaging things. Is that so much to ask? Like I mentioned previously, this is just another thing added to the growing list of issues with this truck, and I am not alone on that.

I will get the shield replaced and then I will make sure to never use the defroster ever again.
All of my cracked windshields while using the defrost have been in cold climates due to small rock chips in the windshield. I have had a few chips repaired and they don't crack, but if I didn't have it repaired then a crack would always bound to happen sooner or later. I just got one this past week on my Ranger and I'm having it replaced for my $50 glass deductible. I had an Explorer and even 2 Subaru Foresters and over the years had to have all windshields replaced due to chips in the windshield and crack during winter. I'm just used to it happening with cold weather and heated defrost. That's why I have glass coverage with a $50 deductible. No worries about the cost of replacement.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I leave my truck on Auto for climate, never have an issue.

I think it's funny that there is literally an entire industry built around auto glass replacement and people will still claim that they aren't something we should expect to break.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I live in New Brunswick Canada, and I haven't heard tell of this happening since the early 80's. But....you had a tiny stone chip your windshield at some point. The sudden temperature change didn't give the glass time to contract. Normally the black tar stuff around the glass expands and contracts to save stress on the glass. In your situation, it contracted at the weakest point.....the stone chip. :(

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Update -
Had an appointment at the dealer today for previous issues and added in the shield issue. My peeling paint roof rail is being replaced at $530 (warranty). Of course the part is backordered. I have another thread on that. Sync issue regarding slow modem speeds after a failed update. They updated sync to the newest update. The interface is a lot different so not sure what update, 3.4 maybe? It seems to work better now.

For the shield -
Stated my case and my dealer agreed with me. Dealer could not find any chips or previous cracks at all. I told him that if they could find a chip causing the damage, just to show me and I will have insurance deal with it. They did their pen test and took pictures to escalate to Ford. The funny thing is, when I stated my case they didnt seem surprised and one service rep stated they had an ecoboost in last week with the same thing. Service Manager was very helpful and said they actually want to replace it because they get paid more than the glass shops do.

After a few hours, Ford came back and denied it saying the photos show a crack... I laughed and said no shit, someone is a genius at corporate. Manager agreed. Bottom line is that they are claiming since there is no visible damage from an outside force that it must be stress cracks which fall under the 12 month/12000 mile limitation. My argument is that if it were stress cracks, those should have been apparent within those 12000 miles. At 32000 miles with no issues, using the heater caused it to fail. Manager agrees but since Ford denied, he can't do anything. He suggested I open a case directly with Ford regarding this. I tried and the rep I spoke with said I couldnt do that and the dealer had to. Manager was not happy with that and is opening the case himself in the morning.

He did suggest I could just use insurance which I may have to, however I truly believe this is a faulty shield and will push it as far as I can. The dealer is on my side which surprised me as well. Will post back once I hear back from them.

The Donald

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I had my Ranger delivered to my local dealer from another dealer last year in December and had the giant crack along the bottom from one side to the other. I always wondered what happened, know I think I know.
I don't know, honestly I've been a Detroit car guy since I could pick up a wrench and have never heard of anything like this. I almost didn't buy the truck because I thought there may be some other underlying problems. Shows you there is still time to learn no matter how experienced.

Cheers!

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Just got back from the dealer. They took pics to send to ford warranty. Did not find any impact nicks and said they should hear back from ford in a few days but with the new year could be at the beginning of next week.
They said ford is fickle with this occurrence but being no impact was noted they said it should not be any problem with the claim. Keeping my fingers crossed
Please update when you hear back. If yours gets approved, find out who approved it. Mine was denied and in process of escalation. If yours is approved, I could use that for leverage.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
no, but we are talking about yours...you have an XLT...how do you fit into the defrost discussion.
You lost me here... Every vehicle has a defroster. Are you referencing the heated shield maybe? I am not involved in that discussion.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
While it seems that we have the same issue there are two differences:
Model year and model 19xlt vs 20 lariat 501A
yours as you stated 12000 mile or 12 months, mine under 12months 12000 miles
The defrost quandary RP mentioned I believe he was talking about the heated wipers that the
lariat comes with but not sure.
I will update when I receive answer from dealer.
Update -
Had an appointment at the dealer today for previous issues and added in the shield issue. My peeling paint roof rail is being replaced at $530 (warranty). Of course the part is backordered. I have another thread on that. Sync issue regarding slow modem speeds after a failed update. They updated sync to the newest update. The interface is a lot different so not sure what update, 3.4 maybe? It seems to work better now.

For the shield -
Stated my case and my dealer agreed with me. Dealer could not find any chips or previous cracks at all. I told him that if they could find a chip causing the damage, just to show me and I will have insurance deal with it. They did their pen test and took pictures to escalate to Ford. The funny thing is, when I stated my case they didnt seem surprised and one service rep stated they had an ecoboost in last week with the same thing. Service Manager was very helpful and said they actually want to replace it because they get paid more than the glass shops do.

After a few hours, Ford came back and denied it saying the photos show a crack... I laughed and said no shit, someone is a genius at corporate. Manager agreed. Bottom line is that they are claiming since there is no visible damage from an outside force that it must be stress cracks which fall under the 12 month/12000 mile limitation. My argument is that if it were stress cracks, those should have been apparent within those 12000 miles. At 32000 miles with no issues, using the heater caused it to fail. Manager agrees but since Ford denied, he can't do anything. He suggested I open a case directly with Ford regarding this. I tried and the rep I spoke with said I couldnt do that and the dealer had to. Manager was not happy with that and is opening the case himself in the morning.

He did suggest I could just use insurance which I may have to, however I truly believe this is a faulty shield and will push it as far as I can. The dealer is on my side which surprised me as well. Will post back once I hear back from them.
Please update when you hear back. If yours gets approved, find out who approved it. Mine was denied and in process of escalation. If yours is approved, I could use that for leverage.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
yes. the two are being confused I believe.
one system does immediate heat, like your rear glass defroster, and the other builds heat slower and is mixed with air. the latter is far less of a shock to cold glass. although both can crack glass in a hurry if there's a chip or crack.
I read a number of complaints on the explorer forums and F150 forums, and a large percentage of those have the in glass heating for the wipers. comparing a standard defroster to them is pointless.
I concur with you RP and when mine is resolved one way or another If there is a way to deactivate this part I am going to ask that they do so.
I find it hard to believe that his response came back from ford already. Not saying it didn't but it wasn't even hours let alone 24 of them.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I had the wiper heating elements on my previous Subaru and they worked great, no issues whatsoever. I actually miss them on my Ranger. Plenty of times in the last few weeks I've had to either sit and wait or scrape the wipers up with the ice scraper to get them unstuck from the glass. That feature and the heated mirrors are the biggest things I miss between my Ranger and my Subaru, especially for the 6-7 months of winter every year. I know the Lariat has both, but the cons of the Lariat outweighed the pros for me.
Do you think this may have been the reason for my crack. I guess that is my concern.
Do like it though it has worked well especially when we had the ice storm not to long ago.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I personally don't believe it was the cause of the cracking, at least not by itself. But that's just my opinion. I've been wrong before. I would keep using it myself, at least unless it happened multiple times and I was able to correlate it to usage of that option. I've just had way more chips and small cracks (too many to count) than crack expansions from defrost/heat differential (one, because it started as a rock chip) over the many years and cold winters driving, so that's just what I'd go with based on my own personal experience. Not telling you, or anyone else, what to do with your own truck. Just saying what I would do.
Thanks Matt

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I find it hard to believe that his response came back from ford already. Not saying it didn't but it wasn't even hours let alone 24 of them.
Sorry not following... I have the paperwork with the initial denial from Ford. It is not hard to believe. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. My truck was in the dealer for 6 hours. I expected the initial denial and now it is being escalated with the service manager opening the case on my behalf. That is still pending. It shouldn't take long to get a response back.
Sponsored