What's wrong with this truck? Price can NOT be correct!

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
not sure when they took the dealer pics, but it's got way low miles, so if its current, its not a demo.
1614283591802.png

I'd offer them $500 less as punishment for putting chrome lugs on a blacked out truck.
So, I had to go back and look today. I figured out why I missed them. They didn't catch my eyes as these are the stock lug nuts that Ford puts on them. It's even in the Build and Price! :D The only difference was, they had added the locking lug to each wheel, so they could charge $200 for that!!!

1614368401619.png
1614368688123.png

I also grabbed a pic of the odometer. Only 16.8 miles, so definitely not a demo or courtesy vehicle. Still trying to reach the salesperson. He's been out then busy. I will check back later.

1614368610308.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
*** UPDATE ***

So, we decided to see what that price really meant. Just for background info, I actually sold cars for awhile a LONG time ago, but I still understand intimately how the game works. I have also leased my new vehicles since 1986, so I'm pretty comfortable with that end as well.

When the build-and-price finally came out last month, I specced out exactly how I wanted my Ranger to be, including accessories. The sticker came out to around $49300. My dealer back in Michigan ran his numbers and the price for a 36 month lease with zero down (AZ Plan, first month payment and misc fees totaling about $1k due at signing) was around $550. That is the WORST CASE SCENARIO, meaning there was absolutely no incentive offered at that point. This was just taking the vehicle as specced and dropping the price down to whatever Ford says the AZ price is, and putting into the lease.

Today, the dealer in Florida was given a chance to do that for this Ranger FX4 he had in stock. I told him to delete all the add-on options, just work with the truck. This truck (MSRP $45,200) with the current incentives available came in above the Tremor!!! I'm like, "Say what???" Sorry, man, if you have a vehicle that you are saying you are discounting by $6000, there is no flipping way. If the price were the full $45K with no discount, the AZ plan would already be less than the Tremor. Now, take into account any incentives (or $6000 discounts!) which are available, it would come down even further from that.

Oh, well, this tells me what I need to know about this "new ownership" local dealer.

Thanks to all who participated and offered words of wisdom in this thread. Hopefully, our fellow members who weren't getting the deals they hoped for will find better offers!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Well, if you read my original post...

This isn't the truck I'm getting.

If I moved now, it would be because all the stars aligned perfectly. They (1) took in my leased vehicle for the amount of payoff, (2) saved me huge money in my monthly payment on my new lease, and (3) I decided the FX4 ride was good enough compared to the Tremor. Every review I've read talks about how much smoother the Tremor is (off- or on-road) simply because of its different rear suspension. That is a big factor to me; my body is too old to have a vehicle that jars you around too much.
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 and I never get jarred around. I Love this truck! It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever had. Rides great, very comfortable. :like:

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 Lariat FX4 and I never get jarred around. I Love this truck! It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever had. Rides great, very comfortable. :like:
Well, if the price had been more along the lines of what we expected, we were definitely going to take this one out on a long drive over various surfaces. Still excited about the Tremor!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought this one $41,500 out the door

CC919AD6-DEFF-47E8-9415-4446D2BCDDB5.jpeg
Well, if the price had been more along the lines of what we expected, we were definitely going to take this one out on a long drive over various surfaces. Still excited about the Tremor!
Yes! I think the tremor looks great and look forward to seeing your pictures! :turkey:

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
*** UPDATE #2 ***

So, a funny thing just happened. The ENTIRE reason for my initial post was "Why are they discounting this truck by almost $6000 while the others in stock are all at $1750???" Well, tonight on their website, the discount on the OTHER trucks have all been bumped up to between $2900 and $4200, while the discount on this specific one went DOWN to about $5300! Had that been the case two days ago, I would have never asked! :lipssealed: :D

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’ve been following your thread and was wondering if they just hadn’t updated the other prices yet as you said this truck was a new arrival so it may have been first to get the new discounts.
I despise buying vehicles as my mom used to work at a couple of dealerships and told me a lot of stories. Over the years I have gotten really screwed a few times and done really well a few times. I just got mine because I was happy with the price on the leftover 2020 and the trade in on my Ram 1500.

In the end you just have to decide what you are comfortable with.
Good luck with the Tremor!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my Ranger March 2019. We added everything including engine block heater(Husband’s idea :)). Lariat FX4, Sport package, tow package...everything you could add at the time (husband’s idea). Also, tonneau cover, spray-in bed liner, side rails (my idea). It was overkill. Don’t need all that ”fancy” stuff, but husband wanted it for me.:inlove: Total was $49,000. Since my son worked there we got a discount. Wound up paying $44,000. I’ve never paid so much for a vehicle, but we had waited quite awhile for the Ranger to come back out. I was in a HURRY to get it, SO excited! Did I overpay? Possibly. I know others on here that got theirs cheaper. Do I regret it? Absolutely not! Just be sure to get what YOU want and don’t look back.:turkey::turkey::turkey:

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I ordered my Ranger March 2019. We added everything including engine block heater(Husband’s idea :)). Lariat FX4, Sport package, tow package...everything you could add at the time (husband’s idea). Also, tonneau cover, spray-in bed liner, side rails (my idea). It was overkill. Don’t need all that ”fancy” stuff, but husband wanted it for me.:inlove: Total was $49,000. Since my son worked there we got a discount. Wound up paying $44,000. I’ve never paid so much for a vehicle, but we had waited quite awhile for the Ranger to come back out. I was in a HURRY to get it, SO excited! Did I overpay? Possibly. I know others on here that got theirs cheaper. Do I regret it? Absolutely not! Just be sure to get what YOU want and don’t look back.:turkey::turkey::turkey:
I've never worried about "paying too much". I'm looking to get the best deal for myself, but I have no problem with the dealership and the salesman making enough money to value my business, either. That's one nice thing about being an AZ plan customer. It takes the negotiation out of it, for the most part. I can guarantee you our truck will be equipped exactly like we want it. Just hope we can get the order timing right so it will be ready when our lease expires in June.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never worried about "paying too much". I'm looking to get the best deal for myself, but I have no problem with the dealership and the salesman making enough money to value my business, either. That's one nice thing about being an AZ plan customer. It takes the negotiation out of it, for the most part. I can guarantee you our truck will be equipped exactly like we want it. Just hope we can get the order timing right so it will be ready when our lease expires in June.
Unfortunately, I do worry about paying too much on large purchases. I’m not exactly rich and usually buy base models. I’ve always looked at vehicles as a means of getting from point “A” to point “B”. Heck, as I said in another post, I’ve never taken a picture of a vehicle before. Before the Ranger, that is. :turkey: But, we planned and saved for the Ranger, and I knew it would be expensive (for me). I hate the negotiating part and wish we could skip it. I agree with you, though, that they have to make money on the product.:)

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately, I do worry about paying too much on large purchases. I’m not exactly rich and usually buy base models. I’ve always looked at vehicles as a means of getting from point “A” to point “B”. Heck, as I said in another post, I’ve never taken a picture of a vehicle before. Before the Ranger, that is. :turkey: But, we planned and saved for the Ranger, and I knew it would be expensive (for me). I hate the negotiating part and wish we could skip it. I agree with you, though, that they have to make money on the product.:)
Then, I am VERY happy for you that you are in a vehicle that you are extremely proud of! I am guessing you have a very unique vehicle in your area with that awesome orange Ranger. :) ??? I'm 63 and have had a couple dozen vehicles. This will be my first truck ever! (Clearly, a northerner!!!) I am looking forward to it, especially for when we want to go riding and can just throw our bikes in the back instead of hooking up the hitch rack.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then, I am VERY happy for you that you are in a vehicle that you are extremely proud of! I am guessing you have a very unique vehicle in your area with that awesome orange Ranger. :) ??? I'm 63 and have had a couple dozen vehicles. This will be my first truck ever! (Clearly, a northerner!!!) I am looking forward to it, especially for when we want to go riding and can just throw our bikes in the back instead of hooking up the hitch rack.
You would think it would be unique. The salesman tried hard to talk me out of Saber color. He didn’t think it would be a good seller. Wanted me to get Hot Pepper Red (Love that color too). There are actually 4 or 5 Sabers in this area now! (dadgummit!):crackup::turkey:

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I cant stand the purchase process on a car. I just don't like how they manipulate the numbers to just get you to focus on the monthly payment. I guess when most of there customers buy a car every 3 to 4 years, all that maters to them is the monthly payment.

I got X plan and we did some back and forth mainly with not wanting to paying for dealer addons, and a trade until I agreed to the numbers then it was like they were in a race to see how fast they could get me out of there. I finally had to tell them to slow down and that I was going home and would deal with it when they actually got the truck from there sister dealer

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
You would think it would be unique. The salesman tried hard to talk me out of Saber color. He didn’t think it would be a good seller. Wanted me to get Hot Pepper Red (Love that color too). There are actually 4 or 5 Sabers in this area now! (dadgummit!):crackup::turkey:
I remember when I first started looking, there was a 19 Pepper Red that I was checking out on the local lot...sold just before I pulled trigger...another about 45 miles away, same deal, price...sold same day as the local one. Oh well!!:crazy: (I am glad I got the Iconic Silver now).

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember when I first started looking, there was a 19 Pepper Red that I was checking out on the local lot...sold just before I pulled trigger...another about 45 miles away, same deal, price...sold same day as the local one. Oh well!!:crazy: (I am glad I got the Iconic Silver now).
There are a lot of HPR and Lightning Blue’s around here. I have seen 1 Iconic Silver coming out of Fort Rucker...What a BEAUTIFUL Ranger! :turkey:
Sponsored