What part did I lose?

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have a cabover on my truck most of the time which I pull off only occasionally when I need to haul stuff.

Recently, when I put the tailgate back up, I couldn't find where to plug the harness. Close to the slot under the middle of the bed, there was an open harness where I expected to have something to plug into -- but both the end under the truck and at the tailgate looked like they were meant to receive pins, with neither side having them. What the heck am I missing (or am I looking at the wrong thing)? Wondering if I lost an adapter?

20200619_092257.jpg

20200619_092416.jpg
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I think the socket protector is plugged into the socket.

Remove the protector and you should be able to plug in the tailgate harness

OP
OP
banerjek

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
What camper did you put on?
Capri Retreat -- I absolutely love it. Plenty of space with the super cab, fully loaded with GF, dog, junk, etc, I'm good for weight (checked it on a certified scale). I get 18mpg consistently at 55mph, but that goes in the toilet at high speed. Good mileage in steep terrain and decent on trails.

After I took this pic, I installed some Timbrens -- that improves handling when you're hauling near capacity.
Idaho.2019.CamperAtCratersOfTheMoon (1).jpg

Montana.2019.CamperInside.jpg

Last edited:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
that thing is sweet. i just went through the build wizard and it would cost more than the truck itself

Chili Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Consultant
Capri Retreat -- I absolutely love it. Plenty of space with the super cab, fully loaded with GF, dog, junk, etc, I'm good for weight (checked it on a certified scale). I get 18mpg consistently at 55mph, but that goes in the toilet at high speed. Good mileage in steep terrain and decent on trails.

After I took this pic, I installed some Timbrens -- that improves handling when you're hauling near capacity.

Thx for sharing. Very nice but 6" too big for the crew cab...

OP
OP
banerjek

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thx for sharing. Very nice but 6" too big for the crew cab...
You can set the length to anything you want -- those are just the "stock" specs. Actual build is fit to your truck and you can make other adjustments as you like.

The customization is built right into the price. For example, I added a ski closet and small jacket closet at the end, bumped out the cabover 10", and extended the total length beyond the bed so it would be just behind the bumper to buy a few extra inches of length, and added a solar port. Those changes had no effect on the price.

The trick with the crew cab is you lose a foot of length and gain around 150lbs. You'll still be good for weight if you don't add too much, but that foot comes at the expense of the length of the bottom bunk (the table comes down to make a bunk) making it a bit short for a full sized adult but still fine for kids or a dog.

I did everything a la carte. That way you pay for everything you want and nothing you don't. These guys were fantastic to work with. I got sent pics almost daily of progress along with questions so adjustments could be made as it was being built (a few were). I'm convinced that if you're getting a cabover, this is a really good way to go.

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Ohhh shiny!

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Nice setup! I like the chrome Capri on the Saber Ranger! We have a 4WC Fleet which we love (the one in the avatar), but we've looked around at hard-sided units too, and I think the Capri is the only hard-sided cab-over I would consider on a smaller truck like the Ranger. They are lighter than most others by enough to make a difference, but the quality seems good and people like them. You'll get a little better MPG with a pop-up, though -- we get around 20 MPG at between 60-65 MPH.

OP
OP
banerjek

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
You'll get a little better MPG with a pop-up, though -- we get around 20 MPG at between 60-65 MPH.
I looked long and hard at popups, including the 4WC Fleet. Aside from improved aerodynamics and lower COG (probably), the lower height would make loading a kayak on the roof more fun and I would have been able to skip registering the camper (which is like licensing another vehicle in our state -- I even had to pay a "vehicle privilege tax" for it even though I bought it out of state).

However, this camper was built mostly for a specific type of use in bad weather and subfreezing temps. I kept on seeing leakage reports from popup owners, and the mileage/weight differentials weren't as big as I hoped.

Having ridden with this thing for a bit over a year, I'm convinced I made the right choice for me. Having a waterproof ski closet that lets me store skis straight up and out of the way, overhead cabinets that don't need to be unloaded, not needing to do anything to enjoy it other than walk in, and large sliding windows on the cabover (great for hotter nights, especially when the fan is on) were all big wins.

The mileage is no fun, but there are enough advantages to make it worth it.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it's all about the tradeoffs between the things you mention. Like you mention, the two biggest advantages of hard-sided are the extra storage space inside and winter usage. We haven't had any leakage yet, but it's fairly new (2012 model) and due to it's low profile, we can keep it in the garage when we're not using it. I don't doubt, though, that the popup section is a common problem spot as they age. I'm working on a side holder for skis, so yeah, that's a definitely a disadvantage.

We bought the 4WC when we had our old '93 Ranger, and even the Capri wouldn't have worked on that truck, so it's possible we would make a different choice if we were starting now. The mobility, light weight, and low profile/CG of the 4WC are nice in many cases especially outside of winter and on bad roads, though. They're just different styles of traveling. Might be nice to have both some day ;)

I looked long and hard at popups, including the 4WC Fleet. Aside from improved aerodynamics and lower COG (probably), the lower height would make loading a kayak on the roof more fun and I would have been able to skip registering the camper (which is like licensing another vehicle in our state -- I even had to pay a "vehicle privilege tax" for it even though I bought it out of state).

However, this camper was built mostly for a specific type of use in bad weather and subfreezing temps. I kept on seeing leakage reports from popup owners, and the mileage/weight differentials weren't as big as I hoped.

Having ridden with this thing for a bit over a year, I'm convinced I made the right choice for me. Having a waterproof ski closet that lets me store skis straight up and out of the way, overhead cabinets that don't need to be unloaded, not needing to do anything to enjoy it other than walk in, and large sliding windows on the cabover (great for hotter nights, especially when the fan is on) were all big wins.

The mileage is no fun, but there are enough advantages to make it worth it.

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Wow, amazingly roomy! Love it!:like:

OP
OP
banerjek

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
We bought the 4WC when we had our old '93 Ranger, and even the Capri wouldn't have worked on that truck, so it's possible we would make a different choice if we were starting now.
Despite the fact that midsize trucks are big nowadays, camper options are limited -- I wish a payload package were available. One of the specific reasons I went with the Ranger is it has better payload than the Taco or Colorado, and while I am OK for weight, I prefer more margin.

Lighter weight shells are becoming a thing and a few new companies have popped up. I'm intrigued by the construction of some such as Kimbo, but the designs don't seem as refined by time tested experience as you'll see from the established companies. For example, by knocking the top corners in, Kimbo sacrifices a lot valuable cupboard storage space while making it seem less spacious, hanging wire baskets off the ceiling changes what you can store and how, and I'm skeptical about some other choices such as having the gas tank exposed so far out on the rear corner.

Wondering if you had any fit issues moving the 4WC to your new rig, especially with the high bed rails on the new Ranger? One thing the build process helped me appreciate was the ability to size it just right. The Capri fits perfectly to the extent that I remove the hooks that the tailgate latches connect to -- I have an inch to spare on each side and it rests in the bed with zero clearance over the rails. Amazingly, I seem to have no trouble putting the camper on by myself in a few minutes.

One thing the process totally sold me on is going custom because every inch is exactly what you need it to be for what you do. For example, the waterproof ski closet in this pic holds two sets of skis and boots as well as jackets out of the way. In warm weather, it holds camp chairs and fishing gear.
IMG_5989.jpg
Sponsored