What muffler should I put on?

CBeach

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT sport
All I want to do is swap the stock muffler for a different muffler because I don't have the money for any cat back or axel back system. I want the truck to be pretty loud and have a deep throaty sound. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
You might check out Polarbear’s posting: I went with Magnaflow....
It is on page 2 of this section.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
All I want to do is swap the stock muffler for a different muffler because I don't have the money for any cat back or axel back system. I want the truck to be pretty loud and have a deep throaty sound. Any suggestions?
I am thinking about just deleting the muffler but leaving the resonator in place.

Reactions: Doc

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking about just deleting the muffler but leaving the resonator in place.
Just have a muffler shop remove the muffler and run a straight pipe and see how it sounds. you may just like it with just the resonator in place. If not then you can easily remove the straight piece an add a muffler. :like:

Mantis

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 Ford Edge SEL
I think it sounds great with just the muffler delete. In addition my calculated mpg is up about .8 to 1.0 and the turbo seems a little quicker to respond, spool a little faster I guess, in certain situations.

I am very happy with my muffler delete.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My preference is perhaps a little different than most members. I do not want more volume or deeper sound from my exhaust/muffler setup (don't want anything to compete with my Lariat's B&O music on the inside) but rather a freer flow for improved performance and/or the enhanced looks (in my opinion) of a black one or two pipe-system sticking out in the side or back. Any suggestions? Of course, it would have to be fifty-states legal....

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
My preference is perhaps a little different than most members. I do not want more volume or deeper sound from my exhaust/muffler setup (don't want anything to compete with my Lariat's B&O music on the inside) but rather a freer flow for improved performance and/or the enhanced looks (in my opinion) of a black one or two pipe-system sticking out in the side or back. Any suggestions? Of course, it would have to be fifty-states legal....
Muffler Delete!
Regards

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Tall order for a 4-banger. I'd stay with the stock exhaust and call it a day.
Yeah, I may just leave well enough alone. Still, I hate the look of the stock exhaust, and all of the black tips on the market seem to have issues with fading after a month or so--at least that is what many of the reviewers say.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah, I may just leave well enough alone. Still, I hate the look of the stock exhaust, and all of the black tips on the market seem to have issues with fading after a month or so--at least that is what many of the reviewers say.
That is what I've done. When I got the truck I cleaned up the tailpipe and sprayed it with flat black high-heat paint. It looks better and it is holding up fine a year later.

Mantis

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't like the stock exhaist tip either so I had the shop that did the muffler delete put a new black tip on at the same time. I am very happy with it as well. It is a bit dirty and I didn't quote get the best angle on the pictures but it looks great and I have had nothing but compliments on it. They realigned for the 4" tip diameter and cut off the stock pipe to a depth that I requested to make this tip sit out just a bit past flush.

0317201841a.jpg

0317201841.jpg

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like the stock exhaist tip either so I had the shop that did the muffler delete put a new black tip on at the same time. I am very happy with it as well. It is a bit dirty and I didn't quote get the best angle on the pictures but it looks great and I have had nothing but compliments on it. They realigned for the 4" tip diameter and cut off the stock pipe to a depth that I requested to make this tip sit out just a bit past flush.

0317201841a.jpg

0317201841.jpg
Hey, Timothy, thanks, that is pretty much what I am looking for. Do you have a brand name or parts number for that tip?

Mantis

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, Timothy, thanks, that is pretty much what I am looking for. Do you have a brand name or parts number for that tip?
No sorry I have neither. I went to Henry's Muffler Shop here in Raleigh, NC and this was one of the selections that they carried in stock. It is black stainless steel with double wall and rolled edge. 4" diameter and I think it was 6" long before they cut small length of 3" diameter off of end. Maybe it is a common tip for muffler shops to carry though?

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
No sorry I have neither. I went to Henry's Muffler Shop here in Raleigh, NC and this was one of the selections that they carried in stock.
No problem, thanks for your advice and images. I have been looking at the
Gibson 500427-B Elite Series Exhaust Tip
which seems to look like the one you have on, or close enough anyway. I may just go ahead and pull the trigger--unless some members have some negative experiences with this part to share....
Sponsored