Mookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt
Occupation
Peace officer
Hey all,

I recently purchased a ford ranger and I love it. However coming from a Ford Fusion hybrid energi I do miss the mpg. Now I needed the ranger for utility, and durability. Has any attempted or considered attaching a hybrid drivetrain to the transmission like the Ford Explorer hybrid. It maintains the awd system while providing better mileage. Im pretty sure it would fit without causing any technical problems for my truck. Yes the tow capacity may suffer, but I use mine for the payload capacity anyway. The model I refer to has the same transmission as the Ranger. Just for thought.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'd wait for the next Gen Ranger and get the PHEV one. Then you'll at least have a full warranty if/when something goes wrong which I'd guess would be very expensive and outweighs any savings doing it yourself.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
seems like a lotta hassle. ya know they make them brand new so we don't have to go through all the runaround of making your own hybrid??? but the car tech nerd in me says go for it, that would be cool.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not the same trans. Explorer utilizes a 10R60 whine our Rangers have the 10R80.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I'd wait for the next Gen anger and get the PHEV one. Then you'll at least have a full warranty if/when something goes wrong which I'd guess would be very expensive and outweighs any savings doing it yourself.

So....the next gen will make people mad. Ok.....must show my anger face. ?

?

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Hybrid maverick is your best option.. if you don't need towing capacity

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Not gonna be worth the effort or cost, and in todays computer controlled vehicles it's not really possible for an average owner.

Gone are the days of simply bolting things together.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Might be easier to go a non electric energy storage system that helps mpg. Just need two tanks, a pump, a few valves, a cutch, and a simple logic system.

Strap a pump to the driveshaft somehow. Have the clutch activate on the pump with the valves open to pressurize a tank during deceleration towards say a red light. Once on the gas have the valve change out so the pressurized tank pushes the pump and sends some of that energy back into the driveshaft. Gaining back what would otherwise have been lost as heat to the brakes. Clutch disengages during normal driving.

I'm sure it would only take a tank or a hundred to make up the cost and weight penalty for said contraption. Might make the brake pads last a bit longer if it didn't explode the first three times it was used.

I swear I am not drinking at 10am

I think it might have been Ford looking into something along those lines for bigger trucks, but a lot less hillbilly that what I could make.... I know I stole that "idea" from somewhere

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You want to save money on fuel by spending multiple tens of thousands of dollars to do a one off swap?

Math isn't your strong suit now is it?

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
...and suddenly hydrogen power enters..