What is this metal hose for?

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I got this truck used back in Nov, and for the life of me I cant figure out what this metal hose coming out the base of the bed is for. It looks like its connected to the filler neck and then comes out of the base of the bed, and it has a screw in the end, i guess to keep anything from getting in.

Some type of vent line? Transfer line for an aux fuel tank?

PXL_20210512_194935237.jpg

PXL_20210512_195003162.jpg

PXL_20210512_194909642.jpg
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
You bought somebody's craptastic engineering its definitely not stock looks like the hose was plugged with a screw and a hose clamp. probably for a aux fuel tank/ line got any better pictures of hos its mated to the filler tube it looks kind of sketchy.

OP
OP

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
You bought somebody's craptastic engineering its definitely not stock looks like the hose was plugged with a screw and a hose clamp. probably for a aux fuel tank/ line got any better pictures of hos its mated to the filler tube it looks kind of sketchy.
yeah, its def pretty sketchy. These are the best pics I could get of it. Pretty sure its gotta be for an aux tank. Having said that, does anyone even make an aux tank for the ranger? Actually wouldnt mind having one, especially if that hose is just sitting there with a screw in the end of it.

PXL_20210512_203259518.jpg

PXL_20210512_203249388.jpg

PXL_20210512_203210828.jpg

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
looks like they hacked away the wheel well molding as well to install it. it looks cut up

maybe hit up Benny at Levittown to see if you can get a parts diagram and some p/n numbers and repair it properly.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’d be mighty curious to know where that line goes and how it’s connected. If it’s a hack job seriously consider correcting it. Most states it’s illegal to “tap” like that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’d be mighty curious to know where that line goes and how it’s connected. If it’s a hack job seriously consider correcting it. Most states it’s illegal to “tap” like that.
HI Rick,

I am with you....find the other end and replace or repair and get that line out of there....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it might be the "redneck" equivalent of trying to burn methane gas by having a hose stuck someplace in the driver where the sun don't shine...if you catch my drift :LOL:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just my thoughts, but if you bought it used from a Ford dealer I'd probably ask them to look at that. Not sure if it was a certified preowned or not though. But that looks like a mess and something I would not want. Certainly I would want it looked into if I bought it from a dealer Ford or otherwise. If you bought it from a private party you are most likely SOL as to the cost to make it right.

Last edited:
OP
OP

noidentity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Just my thoughts, but if you bought it used from a Ford dealer I'd probably ask them to look at that. Not sure if it was a certified preowned or not though. But that looks like a mess and something I would not want. Certainly I would want it looked into if I bought it from a dealer Ford or otherwise. If you bought it from a private party you are most likely SOL as to the cost to make it right.

I bought it under warranty from a ford dealer. They know this truck well, lol. It just came out of the shop for a new turbo charger and engine block. They're about 15 grand into repairs for this truck already.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I bought it under warranty from a ford dealer. They know this truck well, lol. It just came out of the shop for a new turbo charger and engine block. They're about 15 grand into repairs for this truck already.
Well then it seems they still have some work to do given what you just showed. I actually find it odd they put that much work into it and didn't notice that janky hose. I hope it works out for you.
Sponsored

Last edited: