What is normal oil temperature?

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
I haven't seen an output for oil temp but safe to assume it's the same or close to engine temp since they're reading off the same heat source...the engine...I do have PID reading from transmission and that is closely tied to coolant temp as well...
on the 3.5 they at least give us a readable oil temp, usually its within 20* or lower to the Cyl head temp and closer to the coolant temp.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Well, it appears I have a lemon on my hands...
Tailpipe has black residue and I see water dripping. Damn, Ford screws us again...
Well, if you’re a city driver I guess that is normal. Just be sure to take it on long trips once in a while to help reduce the effects of the exhaust rotting out.

I’m probably the only one that has had exhausts rot out in both < 3.5 years repeatedly and also last a lifetime (closing in on 20 years).

The short trip car was the 3.5, the highway car was the one that made it close to 2 decades.

The short trip car also ate starters, shocks, brakes, and everything else like crazy. All it saw was short trip city commuting miles at any given time.

And in inspection states, there is no “drive around with a hole in the exhaust” because that is an instant Fail.

OP
OP

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I haven't seen an output for oil temp but safe to assume it's the same or close to engine temp since they're reading off the same heat source...the engine...I do have PID reading from transmission and that is closely tied to coolant temp as well...
I don’t think transmissions wear out sooner from operating in cold temp but might be wrong.

In all my city cars I never ate a clutch, but have lost turbos at 50k and changed brakes at 23k due to the insane stop-and-go (think LA or Toronto) traffic.

My highway cars never even saw a starter replacement, ever. Brakes and shocks last 4-5x longer too. Imagine the look when I pull rotors with 100k+ and they are still above minimum thickness.

They would’ve been done a long time ago in Boston or Chicago traffic.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Rusted out exhaust? I thought our exhaust system was stainless steel. It was on my '95 F150 and that thing went to 360K.
Soot on the exhaust pipe is one of 3 things IMO:
1. Short trips.
2. Slow trips
3. Driving like a granny because you feel you might break something.

MarioCart

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Employed
Amazon shows aftermarket oil temp bulbs that appear to attach via the drain plug. they have a little display you can mount in the cab.

Might be the solution for those who just need to know.
Sponsored