Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
Law?

Don't know your particular laws but I'm assuming that on average the load may not exceed 4 feet from beyond the rear of the vehicle.

Quick calculation says that you got (144-61-12=71) roughly 6 feet extension there..
Up to 4 feet you don't need flags in my state. Beyond 4 feet, you need the flags like I have attached. The overhang is within the law.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Law?

Don't know your particular laws but I'm assuming that on average the load may not exceed 4 feet from beyond the rear of the vehicle.

Quick calculation says that you got (144-61-12=71) roughly 6 feet extension there..
In Georgia you need a warning device of some sort, orange flag, amber blinking light, etc etc for anything over 4 feet past the bed. There is no law on total length, just you are responsible for properly securing whatever the load is.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Stump Grinder when ever possible. Rental or contractor.

No worries about needing a bigger machine, or how to dispose of a big stump. Chips to burn or landscape with.

I did 23 in a day, many over 30 inches with a hydraulic macine and no previous experience. The second time I rented a smaller manual machine and did 13 stumps in 4 hours.

Both fit on a small trailer with 1600lb capacity.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Stump Grinder when ever possible. Rental or contractor.

No worries about needing a bigger machine, or how to dispose of a big stump. Chips to burn or landscape with.

I did 23 in a day, many over 30 inches with a hydraulic macine and no previous experience. The second time I rented a smaller manual machine and did 13 stumps in 4 hours.

Both fit on a small trailer with 1600lb capacity.
OK Jay,
I've only ever hired a tree guy to remove some trees and grind the stumps. They were not as fussy as I would be and left some remote roots untouched, as well as left the chips in the hole, so no grass could be planted. Had to dig that out myself and add topsoil, which I have a big pile of.
I have a bunch of tall pines to cut down on the property line next, already did 2, and when I get the rest, I'm planning to rent a machine myself and do the stumps all in a day, as you suggested. I'm thinking of buying my own trailer as it's a pain to always have to borrow one.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
OK Jay,
I've only ever hired a tree guy to remove some trees and grind the stumps. They were not as fussy as I would be and left some remote roots untouched, as well as left the chips in the hole, so no grass could be planted. Had to dig that out myself and add topsoil, which I have a big pile of.
I have a bunch of tall pines to cut down on the property line next, already did 2, and when I get the rest, I'm planning to rent a machine myself and do the stumps all in a day, as you suggested. I'm thinking of buying my own trailer as it's a pain to always have to borrow one.
I find allot of rental places also have reasonable delivery rates.

Make no mistake, it's still allot of work, but less and easier clean-up I find. You can also do better end work on roots without the last piece always sticking up. I'm guessing if you did all that digging by hand, playing with a stumper will be a rewarding day.

This was my place when I moved in, and I'm not anti-tree by any means, but they were all dead, dying, or where my new house is going. They've all been felled and most stumped, but I have 5 stumps to do this week, if the rain holds off. I'll gets some photos/video if I can make it work.

W2JYaPO.jpg

I also rented a 120 foot boom for a day, as the roadside and property line trees all leaned the wrong way, and we worked from the top down. Cost me $3K complete, and the contractor quoted me $24K.

YtTDW2v.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did you feel the vortex (and not the lame GM Vortec)? Or is that just around Sedona?
Trevor, we were down in Sedona yesterday and went by this place. It didn't work I still never felt a thing! :devil:

IMG_4522.jpg

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I loaned a friend my Ranger because he broke his Rubicon and they had a trip planned. They left Sunday night, and were coming home today. He just msgd me saying they were stuck in the mud 7 hours, gonna be a day late. Sounds fishy, I think he's in love and doesn't want to bring it back ;)

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I find allot of rental places also have reasonable delivery rates.

Make no mistake, it's still allot of work, but less and easier clean-up I find. You can also do better end work on roots without the last piece always sticking up. I'm guessing if you did all that digging by hand, playing with a stumper will be a rewarding day.

This was my place when I moved in, and I'm not anti-tree by any means, but they were all dead, dying, or where my new house is going. They've all been felled and most stumped, but I have 5 stumps to do this week, if the rain holds off. I'll gets some photos/video if I can make it work.

W2JYaPO.jpg

I also rented a 120 foot boom for a day, as the roadside and property line trees all leaned the wrong way, and we worked from the top down. Cost me $3K complete, and the contractor quoted me $24K.

YtTDW2v.jpg
Wow, Jay, some big trees...and a nice place. I know Ontario is big, but I used to go there to steel plants a lot before I retired. Stelco in Nanticoke, stayed in Simcoe, or down to Port Dover, but not on a Friday the 13th!! And Dofasco in Hamilton. Love Canada, before celiac, my favorite color was Blue. Couldn't pass a Tim Hortons (darn, I still have money on my Timmy card, none close to here). Bring home some Cubans (not the people). Beer Store??? Wonder what they sell?? haha... In 2017, my Mustang was hit at a Beer Store at 11 am, by some big Ram truck with a Santa Claus-looking driver who was half in the bag, and I learned about Canada's no-fault insurance.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trevor, we were down in Sedona yesterday and went by this place. It didn't work I still never felt a thing! :devil:

IMG_4522.jpg
I swore I could feel it, but maybe it was the 2 nuns and Madonna with child staring at me? circa 1996.

Scan_20210729.jpg

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Wow, Jay, some big trees...and a nice place. I know Ontario is big, but I used to go there to steel plants a lot before I retired. Stelco in Nanticoke, stayed in Simcoe, or down to Port Dover, but not on a Friday the 13th!! And Dofasco in Hamilton. Love Canada, before celiac, my favorite color was Blue. Couldn't pass a Tim Hortons (darn, I still have money on my Timmy card, none close to here). Bring home some Cubans (not the people). Beer Store??? Wonder what they sell?? haha... In 2017, my Mustang was hit at a Beer Store at 11 am, by some big Ram truck with a Santa Claus-looking driver who was half in the bag, and I learned about Canada's no-fault insurance.
Thank you, the place is a wreck, but the property is decent and starting to come together. Had 32 loads of back fill dropped this week, hoping to knock it down and rebuild frech within 18 months.

My address is actually Nanticoke, but I am closer to the town of Simcoe than I am Nanticoke proper. My buddy has a place in P.Dover right on Main Street. If I go for the 13th, I get there Thursdy and stay til Sunday.... or Monday, lol.

Last edited:

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you, the place is a wreck, but the property is decent and starting to come together. Had 32 loads of back fill dropped this week, hoping to knock it down and rebuild frech within 18 months.

My address is actually Nanticoke, but I am closer to the town of Simcoe than I am Nanticoke proper. My buddy has a place in P.Dover right on Main Street. If I go for the 13th, I get there Thursdy and stay til Sunday.... or Monday, lol.
Love the lake perch at the Erie Beach Hotel...

Cowboys22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
This was last week but I loaded up the truck to take to the beach in Corpus Christi. I had air compressor, recovery boards, canopy, shovel, etc. Put on the cruise control and steering assist and the truck damn near drove itself down there. Got 21.5 mpg.

Show up at the beach my wife picked out (North Beach) and you don’t even drive on it. Just backed the truck up in a parking space and set up about 20 yards from the car. I had a good time but was disappointed at the same time. Will have to make sure to go to Port A next time.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Climbing arborist would probably do this with 400$/tree (two man job, few hours each tree, prolly less if you just allow free fall drops on the blocks) for felling. Add garbage charge & few hours more for site clearance.

Looking at the local (Finland) prices, the cost would be 249 € / tree at this moment.

P.S. I'd say that the contractor tried to pull a fast one on you.
Sponsored