Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

IdahoRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Sep 26, 2019
Threads
14
Messages
4,523
Reaction score
22,572
Location
Idaho
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Finally changed out Soupie's nuts. Now we're beefier! =D

New nuts are 6.2% heavier!

Old one nut average: 46.9 grams (1.7 ounces)
New one nut average: 49.9 gm (1.76 oz)

single piece Dorman nuts (only 20 for weighing purposes)
20240518_172128.webp


2-piece OEM nuts
20240518_174001.jpg


Great, now Greta's gonna hate on Soupie and the lower mpg from all of this.

1716230844622-n2.webp
Should have gotten heavier ones to really piss her off. Greta is a lug nut.:devil:
Sponsored

 
Last edited:

Grumpaw

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jul 1, 2021
Threads
84
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
30,165
Location
Fishersville, Va.
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2021 Ranger, Now 2019 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
Just ordered a bottle for when I change my pan and filter, soon. My transmission shifts fine, no hard or missed shifts, doesn't lug intown. Only thing is it doesn't like cold weather, but I usually remote start on cold mornings to give it a chance to loosen up and get the fluid moving.

Doing this as preventative measure since my 2019 has 34K on it an I do occasionally tow a 4K camper. After reading all the threads about the 10R80 issues, I'm a little worried and always waiting for mine to start acting up. I do have Mike's dipstick and it appears mine was properly filled when I picked it up.
Okie Dokie.....I bought a bottle of this and threw it into my Ranger....
A few things....
I have no problems with the trans and have never had any. I drive in tow mode 100% of the time, towing and solo.
Have approaching 23,000 miles on Truck, and have a Fitzstick.
Fitzstick showed my fluid, before putting 10 oz in was pretty much right where it was supposed to be, and after, the addition of 10 oz did not appear to raise the level to a point where I could read a difference. After all talking about only 10 oz which would be nothing more than a very thin film over the size of the trans pan.
Drove a total of 75 miles on I-64 to Charlottesville and back, running around 70 mph. Noting before and after, the trans, via my Butt-O-Meter in Trans Shifting Mode Notification, did seem to shift a bit smoother....hard to put into words as, to me, the trans shifted just fine before, but I had nothing to compare it against, other than other members posts. Just seemed to shift "smoother" than before.
I figure that as when I tow, it's a heavy trailer, and Truck is working hard, so anything that helps is a benefit.
 


TJC

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Threads
47
Messages
4,147
Reaction score
10,594
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Finally changed out Soupie's nuts. Now we're beefier! =D

New nuts are 6.2% heavier!

Old one nut average: 46.9 grams (1.7 ounces)
New one nut average: 49.9 gm (1.76 oz)

single piece Dorman nuts (only 20 for weighing purposes)
20240518_172128.webp


2-piece OEM nuts
20240518_174001.jpg


Great, now Greta's gonna hate on Soupie and the lower mpg from all of this.

1716230844622-n2.webp
That girl never had a childhood to steal!
 

Northwet Neil

Well-Known Member
First Name
Neil
Joined
Apr 28, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
67
Reaction score
229
Location
Aberdeen WA
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired, Home chores when not goofing off
Finally changed out Soupie's nuts. Now we're beefier! =D

New nuts are 6.2% heavier!

Old one nut average: 46.9 grams (1.7 ounces)
New one nut average: 49.9 gm (1.76 oz)

single piece Dorman nuts (only 20 for weighing purposes)
20240518_172128.jpg


2-piece OEM nuts
20240518_174001.jpg


Great, now Greta's gonna hate on Soupie and the lower mpg from all of this.

1716230844622-n2.png
The old racer in me still abhors adding any unsprung weight! Even though it's a truck! Some habits die hard.
 

Grumpaw

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jul 1, 2021
Threads
84
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
30,165
Location
Fishersville, Va.
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2021 Ranger, Now 2019 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
The old racer in me still abhors adding any unsprung weight! Even though it's a truck! Some habits die hard.
But, having Big Beefy Nuts is much better than having Weak Swollen Nuts !!!
Name one Ranger owner who wouldn't like to have their Ranger thought of as "Manly" cause it has B.B.N., as opposed to being thought of as a "Wussy Truck for having W.S.N. ???

And, before anyone asks, my Ranger, Truck, has a set of B.B.N. !!!!!
 
Last edited:

LaBalbe

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2021
Threads
18
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
13,801
Location
Ontario / part-time NC
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Finally got around to replacing those rusty old mounting brackets with the stock tow hooks which @DukeCanBuildit gave me last fall. Thanks, Duke, for the phone consults on how best to proceed; unlike a lot of you guys, my "wrenching" experience is pretty limited.

20240518_165743.jpg
20240521_162428.jpg
 

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
The old racer in me still abhors adding any unsprung weight! Even though it's a truck! Some habits die hard.
I hear ya. I never raced but I restored a 1959 MGA. Pulled the body off, had the frame dipped, blah, blah, blah (ah, to be 21 again!). =)

It was built as light as they knew to back in the day - aluminium door skins w/o handles (you reached inside and pulled a cable to open) and no side windows at all, aluminium hood and bonnet skin, and they even split the battery into two smaller ones mounted right behind the seats to keep the balance even. Even the taillight mounts were cast aluminium (with glass lenses). You could also easily change the shock oil for your track layout!

I put a '67 MGB engine in it and it was so fun. A cop pulled me over at 120 mph and talked to me about a '69 Camaro SS he was working on, and he let me off with a mild warning (ah, to be 21 again back then!). =D

LOL, on my UK spelling of aluminium and that thing had wood floorboards. I was such a nut on the restoration that I had to special order the floor bolts and nuts (most had rusted off, they were tacked to the frame) - they were some kooky fine thread British size. And I got a windshield from Belgium! Way before the internet in 1984!

not mine, sold it long, long ago ... =(
1716325926517-ar.webp
 

Doc

Well-Known Member
First Name
Doc
Joined
Dec 24, 2018
Threads
94
Messages
5,824
Reaction score
23,468
Location
Live oak fla
Vehicle(s)
2026 5.0 Mustang GT, 2024 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
I hear ya. I never raced but I restored a 1959 MGA. Pulled the body off, had the frame dipped, blah, blah, blah (ah, to be 21 again!). =)

It was built as light as they knew to back in the day - aluminium door skins w/o handles (you reached inside and pulled a cable to open) and no side windows at all, aluminium hood and bonnet skin, and they even split the battery into two smaller ones mounted right behind the seats to keep the balance even. Even the taillight mounts were cast aluminium (with glass lenses). You could also easily change the shock oil for your track layout!

I put a '67 MGB engine in it and it was so fun. A cop pulled me over at 120 mph and talked to me about a '69 Camaro SS he was working on, and he let me off with a mild warning (ah, to be 21 again back then!). =D

LOL, on my UK spelling of aluminium and that thing had wood floorboards. I was such a nut on the restoration that I had to special order the floor bolts and nuts (most had rusted off, they were tacked to the frame) - they were some kooky fine thread British size. And I got a windshield from Belgium! Way before the internet in 1984!

not mine, sold it long, long ago ... =(
1716325926517-ar.png
Nice !
 

Grumpaw

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Jul 1, 2021
Threads
84
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
30,165
Location
Fishersville, Va.
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2021 Ranger, Now 2019 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt., Grumpy Old Senior Citizen
I hear ya. I never raced but I restored a 1959 MGA. Pulled the body off, had the frame dipped, blah, blah, blah (ah, to be 21 again!). =)

It was built as light as they knew to back in the day - aluminium door skins w/o handles (you reached inside and pulled a cable to open) and no side windows at all, aluminium hood and bonnet skin, and they even split the battery into two smaller ones mounted right behind the seats to keep the balance even. Even the taillight mounts were cast aluminium (with glass lenses). You could also easily change the shock oil for your track layout!

I put a '67 MGB engine in it and it was so fun. A cop pulled me over at 120 mph and talked to me about a '69 Camaro SS he was working on, and he let me off with a mild warning (ah, to be 21 again back then!). =D

LOL, on my UK spelling of aluminium and that thing had wood floorboards. I was such a nut on the restoration that I had to special order the floor bolts and nuts (most had rusted off, they were tacked to the frame) - they were some kooky fine thread British size. And I got a windshield from Belgium! Way before the internet in 1984!

not mine, sold it long, long ago ... =(
1716325926517-ar.webp
Been there with you.....58 MGA, 60 Bugeye, 69 Datsun Fairlady.
Were you able to experience the joy of rebuilding those lever action shocks ?? And the enjoyment of working on a 19th century electrical system ???
Sponsored

 
Last edited:
 








Top