Sponsored

What did you do to your Ranger today?

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Aren't those illegal?
Nope, legal in all 50 states. The name "suicide knob" leads many to think that they are - even though I used one for 30 years on my old FJ, I looked it up anyway because I thought for sure they were. I figured that maybe New Hampshire didn't care since we don't have seat belt or helmet laws. But I was happy to see that they were never outlawed anywhere.

And, for me, it means saving my crappy shoulders.

I'm sure that suicide knobs have added to some horrible accidents and I was a Texas Paramedic (and Firefighter) for a few years, so I'm aware at how some things can lead to truly freak accidents.

Unlike my old one on that FJ which was right inline with the wheel itself (and no power steering on a box steering set up, not rack and pinion)m I've mounted this on to be offset toward the center of the wheel, maybe I'll catch my gut less!

I'll try this one for a while and may go lo a lower profile one if this bugs me.

Oh, and when I looked up to see the legality, I also learned that the proper name is a Brodie Knob (some states have laws that those with physical limitations must use one).

LOL, there we have it—far more than anyone ever wanted to know about suicide knobs! =D

1695001219480.webp


1695001324258.webp


1695001491968.webp


1695001515549.webp
Sponsored

 

Venom_z89

Well-Known Member
First Name
Edson
Joined
Apr 16, 2021
Threads
3
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,830
Location
So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
Picked up a body armor rack for stupid cheap. Dude who sold it to me loved my set up and wanted a quick test spin.

20230917_184044.webp


20230917_184044.webp


20230917_184054.webp
 

SD4160

Well-Known Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
May 16, 2022
Threads
7
Messages
204
Reaction score
784
Location
NJ
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
Trying to get stuff ready for upcoming off-roading/camping trip. Left this alone over the summer, but scrambling to get it working now.
Got lights wired up on driver side. Bundled up wire is to pass under bed to passenger side for two more lights. This was just my test out phase to ensure the circuit in my head worked with all the (unnecessary??) wire harnesses i used. Lol
20230917_150738.jpg

My thought is to use the WolfHaus receptacle to power my DC/DC charger for the battery. It'll charge anytime I'm driving and then auto shutoff the receptacle preventing me from draining my starting battery.

Working on getting battery ready. Made a wire harness to go from my battery box to the inverter
20230917_193311.jpg


Brought out the battery to see how the standalone setup will work.
20230917_190445.jpg

Not sold on a battery location yet. If I keep it near the tailgate, I have access to the extra USB outlets, and 12v socket the AllTop box has to offer, but it is very much in the way here. Ill strap it down for now and see how it goes. Trial and error I guess.

Will install and finish wiring to other side of bed once my extra connectors and loom come in.
 

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
So true Bob - with an air bag in the steering wheel, the name has sooooo much more meaning than it ever did.

However, just think of how well he can back Soupie up to the edge of the “pit” at the landfill when having to approach at impossible angles. :wink:
Especially with the safe driving practice of Cheech insisting on being on my lap! He's my air bag padding!

Of course, he only insists when I'm backing up and/or have a drink in my hand!

LOL, I'm a bastion of safe driving practices! =D

*chuckles that anyone thinks the decontented Soupie has any air bags* =p

The way me and Cheech feel

1695040580227.jpeg


the reality
1695040638205.webp
 

pbethel

Well-Known Member
First Name
Patrick
Joined
Aug 9, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
836
Reaction score
2,097
Location
kingman az
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I thought the ultimate goal of decontenting was to strip away all but the federally mandated safety content.
 


MXGOLF

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Dec 5, 2020
Threads
41
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
5,867
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4-2007 Yamaha FZ6 and Sammy my 2026 Maverick
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Got JCR molle panel installed in the bed. Just waiting till they was in before I ordered my Rotopax mount.
IMG_20230916_161806098.jpg
IMG_20230916_162527972_HDR.jpg
Tim how does your gas cans mount to the panel? I have a long skinny plastic 5 gallon gas can and want to get the JCR front panel to mount and attach my gas can.
Thanks,
 

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Tim how does your gas cans mount to the panel? I have a long skinny plastic 5 gallon gas can and want to get the JCR front panel to mount and attach my gas can.
Thanks,
That looks great! I looked into these a tiny bit and I think they mount with these?

1695067334334.webp


For generic Jerry cans, I think you use this with a universal rotopax mount:

1695067480577.webp
 

MXGOLF

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Dec 5, 2020
Threads
41
Messages
1,371
Reaction score
5,867
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4-2007 Yamaha FZ6 and Sammy my 2026 Maverick
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Thanks David!
 

thorn726

Well-Known Member
First Name
thorn
Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
111
Reaction score
293
Location
Berkeley CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
changing my oil for the 4th time. i have been putting them on by hand and then using a cold wet rag to get the filter to shrink a little and it would come off but this time the engine never got warm first so that didnt work. an hour later im still trying to get a screwdriver to pierce it at the right angle to give me some grip. i really hate this. It is always a nightmare.
 

RedDakooter05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
9,552
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
changing my oil for the 4th time. i have been putting them on by hand and then using a cold wet rag to get the filter to shrink a little and it would come off but this time the engine never got warm first so that didnt work. an hour later im still trying to get a screwdriver to pierce it at the right angle to give me some grip. i really hate this. It is always a nightmare.
I use this along with extensions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKA6NUQ

Extensions place my ratchet just past the control arm so I more or less have full rotation.


Note: I use the OEM oil filters so I cannot attest to fitment of other filters.
 

Big Blue

Well-Known Member
First Name
Lee
Joined
May 5, 2020
Threads
16
Messages
3,943
Reaction score
9,420
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
changing my oil for the 4th time. i have been putting them on by hand and then using a cold wet rag to get the filter to shrink a little and it would come off but this time the engine never got warm first so that didnt work. an hour later im still trying to get a screwdriver to pierce it at the right angle to give me some grip. i really hate this. It is always a nightmare.
Not sure what to say about this post.

I use an expandable three jaw filter wrench with a long socket extention. Works great! I Got mine at Harbor Freight.
 

thorn726

Well-Known Member
First Name
thorn
Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
111
Reaction score
293
Location
Berkeley CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
Not sure what to say about this post.

I use an expandable three jaw filter wrench with a long socket extention. Works great! I Got mine at Harbor Freight.
i think you said about the best thing one could, that sounds like it might help ill look into it. After way too many hours of trying to get a screwdriver in there i had such a hole in it i was able to grab it and turn it with some large vice grips. your way sounds better thanks. i like the look of that thing, thanks
 

thorn726

Well-Known Member
First Name
thorn
Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
111
Reaction score
293
Location
Berkeley CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
I use this along with extensions:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKA6NUQ

Extensions place my ratchet just past the control arm so I more or less have full rotation.


Note: I use the OEM oil filters so I cannot attest to fitment of other filters.
problem for me is using WIX filters which are very good but no one makes one of those that fits it well. Maybe i should swtich to oem... Where do you get the oem filters? this is another good alternative for me thanks//
 

RedDakooter05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
2,770
Reaction score
9,552
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Nissan Frontier S 4x4
problem for me is using WIX filters which are very good but no one makes one of those that fits it well. Maybe i should swtich to oem... Where do you get the oem filters? this is another good alternative for me thanks//
The amazon link i posted has various options for flute count and sizes, but I get my filters from either rockauto or amazon- more so from Rockauto.com

Oil filter part number is FL910S
Sponsored

 
 








Top