What are some reliable, practical 2nd vehicle options?

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Supercrew
I think I've decided to buy a 2nd vehicle. It's nice to spread the miles out and I keep cars until they aren't worth fixing.

I've always had 2 vehicles. I owned a Honda Accord and an F150 together for about 15 years, and when the Honda hit 300K miles in 2016 it needed over $1k in miscellaneous work, so I got rid of it and bought a used 2005 Honda Pilot that had 50K miles on it. I've had the Pilot for 7 years and 125K miles now and just gave it to my daughter for her 1st car. It currently has about 180K miles and runs perfectly. It has been perfectly maintained its entire life and I'm fully expecting 300K+ miles out of that car.

Also, now that my oldest is driving herself (and all her softball gear) everywhere, I'm quickly realizing I don't need a truck most of the time now. I also have 35k miles on my Ranger after 17 months, so it would be nice to have something else to put miles on. My daughter is also busy with school, clubs, sports and work - she's on the go more than I am now (which is a nice change), so I can't really count on using the Pilot anymore. She genuinely needs it almost all 7 days of the week.

So with that in mind....what are your favorite PRACTICAL 2nd vehicles?

I want a vehicle that can realistically reach 300K miles, reliable, cheap to maintain, fuel efficient, and here's the kicker....under $10K. With still having my Ranger, I don't need or want 4wd or AWD...I don't really need 4 doors either....so there are lots of options.

Obviously, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I've owned 5 over the years, so I know they're basically invincible. But beyond that, I'm curious what everyone suggests for a nice daily driver.

I've been looking online for the last 2 days....mostly looking at Civics and Toyotas. I've found some surprisingly nice 2nd and 3rd gen Toyota Avalons in the $5-$9K price range....but when searching older cars with low mileage, there's a lot of neat stuff out there. I've also had the thought of just buying another 1st gen Pilot since I loved it so much.....

So what's your favorite, practical pick for a daily driver?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I'd be sad driving something else every day šŸ˜Ŗ , unless it was better than the Ranger , which defeats the purpose of a second vehicle, another Ford Ranger perhaps ?

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My second vehicle is a 2013 Subaru impreza, formerly my wifes' , as she just purchased a 2024 Subaru Crosstrek.
I like an all wheel drive vehicle as I live in Mass. Great second vehicles, 30 mpg.

Tremorky

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Designer
A Ford Focus with the 5 speed manual. Donā€™t ever ever ever ever ever buy one with the DCT 6 speed ā€œautoā€
Edit: Nothing against the Honda idea but you will be lucky to find one you like in the price range.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are Hondas out there under $10k. They might be 10-20+ years old...and likely Civics and CRVs....but there are some clean used ones to be had if you're patient and willing to take time searching. Those little old lady garage kept cars do indeed exist. I found an older Accord LX with 55K miles for $8K and a mint older loaded civic with 60K miles for $6k. Also, lots of people trade them when they're due for timing belts which often coincides with needing tires, brakes, etc.

Decent ones do go quick. Gotta search regularly and be ready to pounce when you find one. Like pick up the phone, call the dealer and grab your wallet and keys. That's how I found my Pilot. I found the listing as soon as it was posted and called a salesman to send me pics before they even finished adding them to the listing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe a Fit?
Yeah, I've never actually driven one, but I've eyeballed them quite a bit. They definitely fit the budget with lots available under $10K. I briefly considered one back when I got my Pilot. I've never seen a "nice" one locally to drive or check out. I'd be curious what they feel like compared to a Civic.

From what I've seen so far, for about the same money, I think I'd rather get something that rides nicer....or if I'm going that small, it might as well be fun....I'd probably rather go a few years older and get a Civic Si.

Last edited:

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'd avoid anything with a cvt transmission. Even Toyota has had issues on those. If you could find a late model Corolla with the manual transmission, that should go to 300k miles.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Before the Ranger, I had an '01 F-150 and a '12 Focus. I sold both when I bought the Ranger, as downsizing my fleet was part of the plan. The extra room in the driveway is much appreciated. I also like paying insurance and licensing of just one vehicle.
Having said all that, if I had a roomier driveway, it would be kind of nice to have a smaller, more economical car to drive now and then. And something besides the wife's car to drive if I have to leave the Ranger for service. Otherwise I really don't miss having two vehicles.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yeah, I've never actually driven one, but I've eyeballed them quite a bit. They definitely fit the budget with lots available under $10K. I briefly considered one back when I got my Pilot. I've never seen a "nice" one locally to drive or check out. I'd be curious what they feel like compared to a Civic.

From what I've seen so far, for about the same money, I think I'd rather get something that rides nicer....or if I'm going that small, it might as well be fun....I'd probably rather go a few years older and get a Civic Si.
A few times I thought about getting a 1st gen one with the manual, taking the back seat out and take it autocrossing. It ran some road course faster than an NSX but mainly cause it didn't have to pit for tires and the NSX did. So pretty economical, heh.

OP
OP

CP0861

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before the Ranger, I had an '01 F-150 and a '12 Focus. I sold both when I bought the Ranger, as downsizing my fleet was part of the plan. The extra room in the driveway is much appreciated. I also like paying insurance and licensing of just one vehicle.
Having said all that, if I had a roomier driveway, it would be kind of nice to have a smaller, more economical car to drive now and then. And something besides the wife's car to drive if I have to leave the Ranger for service. Otherwise I really don't miss having two vehicles.
Yeah, insurance is also a factor. The cheaper the better. That's something else I always price out before buying and some cars oddly and randomly cost more.....

Andrew27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Ranger, 95 Ford Explorer, 98 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Auto Technician
Iā€™d suggest a ā€œpanther platformā€ car, 2003-2011. Town Car, Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria. They can be found under or near 100k miles for under $10k. They are very reliable and easy to work on and find parts for. I drove an 05 Town Car for five years before my Ranger and miss is every day! Just didnā€™t have the room for itā€¦
I think I've decided to buy a 2nd vehicle. It's nice to spread the miles out and I keep cars until they aren't worth fixing.

I've always had 2 vehicles. I owned a Honda Accord and an F150 together for about 15 years, and when the Honda hit 300K miles in 2016 it needed over $1k in miscellaneous work, so I got rid of it and bought a used 2005 Honda Pilot that had 50K miles on it. I've had the Pilot for 7 years and 125K miles now and just gave it to my daughter for her 1st car. It currently has about 180K miles and runs perfectly. It has been perfectly maintained its entire life and I'm fully expecting 300K+ miles out of that car.

Also, now that my oldest is driving herself (and all her softball gear) everywhere, I'm quickly realizing I don't need a truck most of the time now. I also have 35k miles on my Ranger after 17 months, so it would be nice to have something else to put miles on. My daughter is also busy with school, clubs, sports and work - she's on the go more than I am now (which is a nice change), so I can't really count on using the Pilot anymore. She genuinely needs it almost all 7 days of the week.

So with that in mind....what are your favorite PRACTICAL 2nd vehicles?

I want a vehicle that can realistically reach 300K miles, reliable, cheap to maintain, fuel efficient, and here's the kicker....under $10K. With still having my Ranger, I don't need or want 4wd or AWD...I don't really need 4 doors either....so there are lots of options.

Obviously, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I've owned 5 over the years, so I know they're basically invincible. But beyond that, I'm curious what everyone suggests for a nice daily driver.

I've been looking online for the last 2 days....mostly looking at Civics and Toyotas. I've found some surprisingly nice 2nd and 3rd gen Toyota Avalons in the $5-$9K price range....but when searching older cars with low mileage, there's a lot of neat stuff out there. I've also had the thought of just buying another 1st gen Pilot since I loved it so much.....

So what's your favorite, practical pick for a daily driver?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Great idea on checking the insurance costs. I got a wild hair a few years ago and decided I wanted a Honda Civic EX 4door for a commuter car. Luckily I checked on the insurance as it was ridiculous. The yearly premium on the new Civic was almost double what a new ZR1 Corvette would have been. I only checked as there was another wild hair at play too. šŸ™‚

They suggested the number of claims on the Civic were higher and generally resulted in large payouts. Higher premiums is equivalent to spreading the love I guess.
Sponsored