Weird Low-Speed 4x4

M@nd0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger- Lariat (SuperCrew, 501A, FX4, Black Appear., Trailer)
Hey all, just got my ranger a few weeks ago and I was testing out all the features when I noticed something strange. I was in my work parking lot with the 4H on just making sure it works properly (in "normal" mode for those with the TM system like myself), and was making a low-speed turn in order to back into a parking space. The truck seem to have come to a jerking-like halt, almost as if the tire was rubbing on the inside, or outside, of the fender. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this is some advanced system with the 4x4, especially since I do not run into this issue when I'm in 2H, that causes this. Just curious if anybody else has run into the same issue, or knows whether it's truck doing some computer-magic.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP
M@nd0

M@nd0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You shouldn’t be turning the truck in 4x4 on any surface that isn’t slippery. Your binding up the drivetrain. Simple 4x4 basics
Ahhh, okay, like a said I'm a n00b, first truck. Thanks for the heads up!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldn’t be turning the truck in 4x4 on any surface that isn’t slippery. Your binding up the drivetrain. Simple 4x4 basics
That is correct, putting it 4X4 on non-slippery / non-loose surfaces can break things.

A bit more technical info on that: http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

It causes mechanical components to bind instead of moving freely - this situation is called "axle binding" ,"driveline binding" or "driveline wind up". First indicators while driving is a hard steering feel and the vehicle displaying jerky movement. Shifting back to 2WD will become impossible (gears and levers are extremely forced together). Continued 4WD use on dry surfaces will cause the weakest links to break (U-Joints, axles, differential gears, transfer case gears and chains, bearings, drive shafts).

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
And don’t get anxiety over breaking anything from what you’ve done. I’ve accidentally bumped the 4WD knob into 4H in mine a few times and it’s no worse for the wear. Enjoy your truck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, just got my ranger a few weeks ago and I was testing out all the features when I noticed something strange. I was in my work parking lot with the 4H on just making sure it works properly (in "normal" mode for those with the TM system like myself), and was making a low-speed turn in order to back into a parking space. The truck seem to have come to a jerking-like halt, almost as if the tire was rubbing on the inside, or outside, of the fender. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this is some advanced system with the 4x4, especially since I do not run into this issue when I'm in 2H, that causes this. Just curious if anybody else has run into the same issue, or knows whether it's truck doing some computer-magic.

Thanks in advance!
Hi M@nd0

You just experienced drivetrain bounding up on on a concrete or asphalt surface. The vehicle comes to a halt. You are not hurting anythng, but It is not a good idea on a high contact surface to use 4H. If this was an AWD vehicle, you would not feel this at all. Ranger Pride is a bit over the top but his lesson learned is do not do this on a regular basis as something in the drivetrain will cry uncle... The way to use a 4x4 is to gain experiece, but for leaning, use 4x2 until it does not work Then switch to 4x4H. For the tough conditions, select 4x4low. Thing we taught at Ford in the Advanced Off Road course was to take it slow... 4x4ing is not racing, Slow is the operative word. Slow will not likely hurt anything, like slowing backing into the parking space.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
M@nd0

M@nd0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi M@nd0

You just experienced drivetrain bounding up on on a concrete or asphalt surface. The vehicle comes to a halt. You are not hurting anythng, but It is not a good idea on a high contact surface to use 4H. If this was an AWD vehicle, you would not feel this at all. Ranger Pride is a bit over the top but his lesson learned is do not do this on a regular basis as something in the drivetrain will cry uncle... The way to use a 4x4 is to gain experiece, but for leaning, use 4x2 until it does not work Then switch to 4x4H. For the tough conditions, select 4x4low. Thing we taught at Ford in the Advanced Off Road course was to take it slow... 4x4ing is not racing, Slow is the operative word. Slow will not likely hurt anything, like slowing backing into the parking space.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Good to know! Thanks for the knowledge and experience!
Sponsored