First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Last week at dealer when I asked tech to check for latest Waze update, I watched him run through settings on my Sync3 screen. As I recall he set Waze to "Allow Automatic Updates" and he said he thought my system already had the latest version. He also said any Waze updates are done on the phone app, not the truck display. True?
Sponsored

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Went through this earlier last month, long story it's a bug that's being worked on.

Good news is the temp fix is to disable location permissions for Android auto. This fixed it for me.

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Last week at dealer when I asked tech to check for latest Waze update, I watched him run through settings on my Sync3 screen. As I recall he set Waze to "Allow Automatic Updates" and he said he thought my system already had the latest version. He also said any Waze updates are done on the phone app, not the truck display. True?
Yes the app is updated via the phone and pipes through to your display. If your just using the app in sync 3 then I dunno but my guess is downgrading that app would be a solution. It's def an incompatibility with AA/sync/waze.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
As other OP said depends on how your using it. If it's on your phone and that is synced with the head unit then upgrades is on the handset. If your using the head unit AT&T cellular connection then WAZE is living on the head unit and needs upgrading from there.

krane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
As other OP said depends on how your using it. If it's on your phone and that is synced with the head unit then upgrades is on the handset. If your using the head unit AT&T cellular connection then WAZE is living on the head unit and needs upgrading from there.
Ah good point, not an option on my RS so didn't think of head unit installed app.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Nice to know it is not acting up on just my system.

OP
OP
GitRDone

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Thanks for replies. Waze is on my phone (only) and switches to truck display through Android Auto when phone is connected to the truck USB. Usually takes 5-10 seconds to initialize. At that point, I can't access Waze on my phones screen unless I unplug it-- normal? Also when I use the steering wheel mic button to call up a stored contact, recognition seems much better using AA than with the phone unplugged-- also normal?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for replies. Waze is on my phone (only) and switches to truck display through Android Auto when phone is connected to the truck USB. Usually takes 5-10 seconds to initialize. At that point, I can't access Waze on my phones screen unless I unplug it-- normal? Also when I use the steering wheel mic button to call up a stored contact, recognition seems much better using AA than with the phone unplugged-- also normal?
I’m on iOS but mine acts exactly the same way. When paired head unit is main interface for everything. If I pull it up on phone while paired limited functionality. Same with voice

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Waze seems to be working again.

Ok. Had a chance to test some things. I recalibrated the compass and refused android auto app locations within the app permisions.

Waze worked fine right away, drove it for 15 miles and every feature worked.

After my first stop I gave the AA app location permission once again. Rebooted the phone to make sure the settings took, they did. Restarted Waze and it still worked with the location permission on.
Maybe just resetting the permissions in the AA app was all it needed, not turning location off for good.?

OP
OP
GitRDone

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I recalibrated the compass and refused android auto app locations within the app permisions.
/QUOTE]
Were those accomplished through the phone app or the Sync3 display under AA settings?

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Everything was done on the phone.
To calibrate the compass, open google Maps on your phone. Tap the blue dot representing your spot on the map. In the bottom left of the next screen is the link to calibrate the compass.
To adjust the permissions is a little more typing, here is the link.
Change app permissions on your Android phone

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
mine started behaving one day (last weekend, I think), and I didn't do anything more than just rebooting the phone. saw the speedo indicator on the sync screen, turn notifications started reading off correctly, and the map seemed less jumpy.

not sure if there was a waze update along the way or not since my phone does all that stuff while I'm sleeping, but it just "fixed" itself for me.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
mine started behaving one day (last weekend, I think), and I didn't do anything more than just rebooting the phone. saw the speedo indicator on the sync screen, turn notifications started reading off correctly, and the map seemed less jumpy.

not sure if there was a waze update along the way or not since my phone does all that stuff while I'm sleeping, but it just "fixed" itself for me.
On iOS Waze updated today.