Water causing trailer assist alerts

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Crew Cab 4x4 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I searched for this on the forum but came up with nothing so if there are threads, please let me know. I have had the Ranger for about 2 years now and it's been great. BUT(!), a few weeks ago, we had a torrential downpour and the dashboard kept alerting me that a trailer was connected, then disconnected, then connected, etc. I also got alerts that my blindspot sensors weren't working, my turn signals weren't working, and maybe a few other things. The next morning (no rain) it happened once but after about 10 minutes on the road, it was fine. Fast forward to this past week, we had some rain and the same thing happened again. I stopped at the dealership and showed them. A tech said he had seen it before on F-150s and Super Duty trucks but hadn't seen it on Rangers. He said there is most likely a connection that's getting wet and causing the problem. I have an appointment set up to have them search for it next week but if it's something as simple as a loose connection, I wouldn't mind just fixing it myself.

Has anyone had this issue or heard of it?
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
interesting. haven't experienced this one, so I'd agree with the tech that it's likely a connection issue (poor seal/loose connection). I've driven in some pretty torrential rain with no trouble and forded some decent creeks (sometimes actually pulling a trailer).

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I would take a look at this thread.

Sounds like you may have a bad seal on one of the main frame rail harness's located mid body, main frame, near the drivers door.

You most likely have water Ingress into one of the harness's short circuiting signal wires.

OP
OP
Ames

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I bought the truck in April of 2020 so I would think that they would have taken care of the taillight issue.

OP
OP
Ames

Ames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I would take a look at this thread.

Sounds like you may have a bad seal on one of the main frame rail harness's located mid body, main frame, near the drivers door.

You most likely have water Ingress into one of the harness's short circuiting signal wires.
That's a great thread. I'm going to go home and check those connectors. Thank you!

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I had the same thing happen on my 2019 a few days after pulling a small trailer and then disconnecting it. The 4 pin connector must have gotten a little damp ”crud” in it making it think had a trailer connected then 30 seconds later saying it was disconnected. I just took a can of air and blew the connectors out and the problem went away.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I searched for this on the forum but came up with nothing so if there are threads, please let me know. I have had the Ranger for about 2 years now and it's been great. BUT(!), a few weeks ago, we had a torrential downpour and the dashboard kept alerting me that a trailer was connected, then disconnected, then connected, etc. I also got alerts that my blindspot sensors weren't working, my turn signals weren't working, and maybe a few other things. The next morning (no rain) it happened once but after about 10 minutes on the road, it was fine. Fast forward to this past week, we had some rain and the same thing happened again. I stopped at the dealership and showed them. A tech said he had seen it before on F-150s and Super Duty trucks but hadn't seen it on Rangers. He said there is most likely a connection that's getting wet and causing the problem. I have an appointment set up to have them search for it next week but if it's something as simple as a loose connection, I wouldn't mind just fixing it myself.

Has anyone had this issue or heard of it?
Check the connector on the passenger side from the passenger side tail light to the body harness connection. Just behind the tail pipe on the frame rail. Guarantee you have water in it. Yes as mentioned there is a recall for this connector.

20220306_104447.jpg
Sponsored