Warning I’m a Newbie: Aftermarket BOV question.

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Do our stock systems have a BOV? I haven't bothered to look TBH but I don't hear one. I was under the impression that it is a diverter valve since it doesn't dump (VTA) but instead recycles the metered air back into the intake track. I've ran both in previous turbo vehicles but found that I would get stumbling/idle issues when just switching from a stock BPV to a true BOV w/o doing anything else, just a straight swap. So what I did is went with a hybrid model, like a Forge Motorsports one to still get some of that pssshht sound some folks like and not worry about it.

Things change so I may be off as this is my first T/C vehicle in a long time. My current F/I setups over the last decade have been supercharged.
Yeah, it's technically a diverter valve stock but BOV seems to be used as a blanket term. It's gets confusing when you add in the hybrid ones or do what some of the F-150 guys do and just remove the reticulation tube and run it as VTA. Then the stock diverter valve becomes a BOV?
Sponsored

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This may help why it doesn't matter on our engines:

https://www.boostedperformancetuning.com/speed-density

"What it boils down to is using the manifold pressure sensor (MAP) and intake air temperature (IAT) sensor instead of the MAF sensor to calculate the amount of air entering the engine. These sensors take their readings right as the air is actually entering the engine so they are not affected by the things that cause issues with the MAF sensor. "
1. Thanks man. Always willing to learn something new. You don't know what you don't know.
2. Now that I cant convince myself that this will hurt my engine. I now have to buy one. No thank you.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Which brand do y'all recommend?

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Yeah, it's technically a diverter valve stock but BOV seems to be used as a blanket term. It's gets confusing when you add in the hybrid ones or do what some of the F-150 guys do and just remove the reticulation tube and run it as VTA. Then the stock diverter valve becomes a BOV?
Pretty much since it is now VTA. I have been guilty of this in the past, removing the recirculating tube on a stock diverter/BPV to see what it would do. It sounded cool but feathering the gas to keep up the idle when stopping was not fun so quickly switched back.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which brand do y'all recommend?
You could go with Turbosmarts one. It is built for the Ranger and is indeed a hybrid model. This is what I was referring to earlier. Gets you the sound you want without the issues of a true BOV on diverter/BPV system.

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...ssories/products/kompact-em-bov-dual-port-vr2

looks like these guys have one as well that uses your stock valve and adds the vent port as a spacer.
http://www.boombaracing.com/ranger-2019/

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I had an 08 WRX with Turbosmart recirc BOV and it leaked like no tomorrow compared to the stock recirc BOV, but it did seat better at higher boost levels, i wonder how the ones for the Ranger holdup.

Then again i haven't found a single BOV that doesn't leak-by at least a bit.

If i had any of them here i would do a boost test to see since i have nothing better to do on quarantine.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@outdoorphotog That's what I liked about the Forge Motorsports valve. It was spendy but you could adjust the spring coil inside to match what was needed for the vehicle vs a one size fits all spring. That way you could kind of "tune it"

DerangedPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Vehicle Showcase
Your only option you have now is Turbosmart because stock doesn't use vacuum, it is electronic. I've heard of RS or Mustang guys switching over to vacuum but I don't know more then that. The have the Turbosmart hybrid and it seems like it holds fine but I don't have my boost gauge installed yet. Also, it's not super loud so it depends what you are looking for.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
But there a sensor that measures the air that is going to the engine. And what that sensor does is adds or takes away fuel going into the engine based off the air going in. So the sensor will think the engine is getting air it's really not. This making it run rich.
Not quite that simple. Under and overpressure condition (rapidly closing the throttle body) the excess pressure has to go somewhere. In a factory system, it gets returned to the intake of the turbo. Throttle posit
Feel free to read the whole thing. But scroll down to Walters explaination.

https://themotorhood.com/themotorho...-need-a-blow-off-valve-we-talk-to-the-experts
You just don't seem to get it. You ask a question and then try to correct my answer? I'm done. Your the expert.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not quite that simple. Under and overpressure condition (rapidly closing the throttle body) the excess pressure has to go somewhere. In a factory system, it gets returned to the intake of the turbo. Throttle posit

You just don't seem to get it. You ask a question and then try to correct my answer? I'm done. Your the expert.
You obviously did not continue to read the comments that continued after that. But since you're the expert, I'll let it be.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I installed the GFB DV+ about a year ago and have been quite pleased. The GFB DV+ is a direct replacement to the 2.3's stock diverter valve but it's advantage over the stock valve are tremendous. This You Tube video explains it better than I can

I forgot to mention that this gives way better throttle response when you lift your foot and have to get back on the throttle (as a practical example: when merging in traffic try to get to freeway speeds. Stock vale can give you noticeable "turbo lag," the valve bleeds off most if not all boost pressure and it takes a couple of seconds (which can seem like a lifetime) just when you need it. GFB DV+ recovers that boost much quicker by not slamming full open.
As for the "vent to atmosphere" (VGA) valves, they make noise and may or may not be as good as the GFB DV+ in recovery operation... oh, and the VTA's cost more too...
Sponsored

Last edited: