Wandering Steering

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Our trucks don't have much caster on the factory suspension. I too have to correct my steering wheel a lot. My previous jeeps all had around 5 to 6 degrees and thisnwas never an issue.
Sponsored

Woodn88s

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Hi Rick,

What you indicate is directionaly correct, but it should not exhibit this condition out of the box....This indicates something wrong which should be diagnosed before any changes are made....There may be more to this story that the owner is not aware, so the starting point has to be to record as delivered specs. I am think something is out of whack which should be identified first before any further adjustments are made.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Merry Christmas, I checked my tire pressure and they are inflated to 40 psi. From the dealer. I will deflate to 35psi and see if this helps the steering problem.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Merry Christmas, I checked my tire pressure and they are inflated to 40 psi. From the dealer. I will deflate to 35psi and see if this helps the steering problem.
Obviously the dealer did not align it. The first step for an alignment is to set the tire pressures or at least it was for me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously the dealer did not align it. The first step for an alignment is to set the tire pressures or at least it was for me.
Dealers to not normally align new vehicles as then should be in alignment at the assembly plant. But something needs be to be investigated...a loose part...poor alignment...this needs a drive by the Tech to veryify and then diagnostics...better than guessing

A bit of a back story....the old twin I beam toe was adjustable only by the tie rod that attached to the left wheel and the draglink. If the adjustment collar was not properly clampped, it could change the toe during rail shipping. Only happened to me once on a test vehicle shipped to the Arizona proving grounds...X garage mechanic forgot to tighten up the adjusting sleeve clamps. Certainly drove funny when we picked the Econoline up....Easily corrected at APG...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored