Vinyl is fun and frustrating at same time.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Neat skill to learn how to do. It started with me just wanting to modify the factory Ford decals and I've been screwing around since then. I've carefully made, cut, applied, ripped off, and trashed so many times now. Thankfully Vvivid isn't to expensive on Amazon. Once I settle Im going to have a professional shop replicate my work with the high uv resistant 3M and apply it like pros. Thankfully you can't see the minor issues with mine unless you put your face 6 inches from it.

I think I want to try doing the rear tail gate in matte black to mimic the Ford Applique (yea that piece of plastic I don't want to pay $300 for).

IMG-2656.jpg
Sponsored

Tringram19

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 1989 Ford Ranger STX
Neat skill to learn how to do. It started with me just wanting to modify the factory Ford decals and I've been screwing around since then. I've carefully made, cut, applied, ripped off, and trashed so many times now. Thankfully Vvivid isn't to expensive on Amazon. Once I settle Im going to have a professional shop replicate my work with the high uv resistant 3M and apply it like pros. Thankfully you can't see the minor issues with mine unless you put your face 6 inches from it.

I think I want to try doing the rear tail gate in matte black to mimic the Ford Applique (yea that piece of plastic I don't want to pay $300 for).

IMG-2656.jpg
What flares are these?

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Vinyl is fun. What kind of a plotter do you use? I just have a cricut, it's fine for what it is but I wish I could do longer cuts than 24". I just made these door sill decals last week

PXL_20200923_171426628.jpg

PXL_20200923_171910284.jpg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Vinyl is fun. What kind of a plotter do you use? I just have a cricut, it's fine for what it is but I wish I could do longer cuts than 24". I just made these door sill decals last week
You a funny guy. Here are my supplies:

12" Paper Slicer - $12.99 at Walmart

d5-b389bf4111cf-1-ab33c98194e74cde4ed358dd81b00897.jpg

Exacto Knife - $2.99 at Walmart

Automotive Tape - $4.99 at Walmart

And I use either 1' x 5' or 6" x 25' of matte black Vvivid ProXP from Amazon $9.99 / $14.99 and cut to my needs as carefully and as patiently as I can stomach.

I use a straight edge if I need something longer than 12" cut in a straight line and I've gotten decent at it, but not perfect.

The "RANGER" part on my sides is actually the front half of the Ford graphics. I just modified the rear half...

Original:
IMG-2501.jpg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
You a funny guy. Here are my supplies:

12" Paper Slicer - $12.99 at Walmart

d5-b389bf4111cf-1-ab33c98194e74cde4ed358dd81b00897.jpg

Exacto Knife - $2.99 at Walmart

Automotive Tape - $4.99 at Walmart

And I use either 1' x 5' or 6" x 25' of matte black Vvivid ProXP from Amazon $9.99 / $14.99 and cut to my needs as carefully and as patiently as I can stomach.

I use a straight edge if I need something longer than 12" cut in a straight line and I've gotten decent at it, but not perfect.

The "RANGER" part on my sides is actually the front half of the Ford graphics. I just modified the rear half...

Original:
IMG-2501.jpg
You did that by hand? ? Nice work!

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well its somewhat easy as long as everything at its core is a straight line. I tried tinkering with doing curves and while its not completely out of wack, it can't match a machine cutting it.

The spacing is easy because I just use a line of 3M 1" wide automotive tape as the spacer. lol

I more or less mock up the template, then cut them all out as individual pieces. I then apply the largest piece first, then put down the tape and spacer the smaller bits as needed.

IMG-2619.jpg

Like I said, straight lines or angles, cause all an angle is is a crooked straight line. I did about a 10-15 degree rake for the hood. The sides are 45 degree rakes. You can spot one of the small imperfections below where the bottom line of the big piece is not straight. Somehow when cutting it I angled to much and the corner now rakes inwards.

Like I said all of this will just end up being a template for a professional company to go back and do it for real.

IMG-2632.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Any photoshop gurus here? Id like to see how my truck would look with a matching white front bumper and the silver lip in a matte black ??
I can't photo shop but here's a stock photo of one with the Black Package.

2019-Ford-Ranger-Lariat-Crew-Cab-5-Foot-Box-with-Black-Appearance-Package-in-Oxford-White.jpg

801Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4-Race Red

IMG-2656.jpg
Looks super good. Curious, what level or lift size did you do?