Unwanted Burn Out

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I wear 11 1/2, it’s very easy to two foot! Have done it a couple of times myself..
Yep. I wear a 13. While I haven't hit both pedals in the truck yet, it has happened to me in other vehicles on more than one occasion.

One thing I have noticed, if if I place my foot straight up on the accelerator, my toe hits something under the dash. Not quite annoying, but almost. Once I slightly tilt my foot all is good.

Based on this thread I'd say we agree that the pedal area is a bit tight.

Glad the episode ended ok for the OP.
Sponsored

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Been there - Done that
With the brake pedal placement being so close to the gas pedal
Further enhanced issue is the mushy brake pedal. Drops down further travel than needed.

Performed brake bleed with Forscan
Then
Old school manual bleed on all wheels
A crap load of air found in R/R Caliper - moderate amount from the rest.
Brake Pedal is now normal and still holding firm for 8 months
Note- it came from factory this way
You still have to be cautious about brake pedal and gas pedal - but it is no where near as bad - as the brake pedal does not fade down as far to match gas pedal
So why are these trucks coming out of the factory with the whole mushy brake thing? My truck has it too. Doesn't drive me nuts, but doesn't make me love it either. If it's such a common problem why isn't Ford doing something about it on the line? Don't expect you to know/answer. Just bitching.

How hard is the brake bleed via Forscan?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
So why are these trucks coming out of the factory with the whole mushy brake thing? My truck has it too. Doesn't drive me nuts, but doesn't make me love it either. If it's such a common problem why isn't Ford doing something about it on the line? Don't expect you to know/answer. Just bitching.

I actually had 2 dealers look at it, they have to confirm issue before they will pull it past the service writer. Now I only did this because it should have been taken care of at dealer level and it only had a few hundred miles at this point.
Now being a mechanic myself I knew what it needed, Service Writer got in truck pressed brake pedal, drove forward a few feet and pressed brake pedal - Said they are all like that, there is nothing wrong. (So, 2 separate dealers' same response)
I only addressed it early due to this forum pointing out the issue, so I was aware of it prior to delivery.
I have a Autel Scanner and Forscan, both are capable of performing the ABS Module Bleed.
All you do is select Bleed Function, and it activates the ABS Module, like you are in a skid. Its loud and will make you jump if not expecting it.
There is a Youtube Video for it, but the guy only performs the Module Bleed, Search Mushy Brakes Ranger.
I used Forscan to do the Module Bleed, like in the video.
The Full ABS Bleed will activate the ABS Module and allow you to do all wheels, but it is easier to do with 2 people.
I decided to do the old school way, daughter helping - Press and Release brake pedal while I open/close the bleeder screws.
So, basically what Forscan does, is activate the ABS Module (Pump) and generates brake pressure to the wheels, but you have to interact with Forscan while you have bleeder screws open and closed. I thought it was much easier just to go old school.
I was amazed how much air come out of the R/Rear Caliper, from the factory, It only had about 300 miles on it.

As far as how Ford is letting this happen on all Rangers coming off of the line, IDK but for me its a huge safety issue and I addressed it myself.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
One thing I have noticed, if if I place my foot straight up on the accelerator, my toe hits something under the dash. Not quite annoying, but almost. Once I slightly tilt my foot all is good.
You are hitting the heat ductwork. There are some threads around about removing it (single screw) and trimming it to resolve the issue. Pretty simple fix.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Yup, my 2019 was that way from the factory as well! 2010 I bought a Limited Flex w/3.5 ecopoop, awesome couch to drive! Less than 1000 on odo I drove to a fishing place At nearly 9000ft elevation, when I got out after parking the car belched out a massive amount of coolant due to elev. change! Long story short the relevance to this thread is the cap on the recovery tank was cross threaded from the factory! It sealed enough for sea level. Final inspection on cars isn’t good

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
You are hitting the heat ductwork. There are some threads around about removing it (single screw) and trimming it to resolve the issue. Pretty simple fix.
Going to have to look that one up. Thanks!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation