Unscheduled Lariat 2022 orders LED headlight delete - is $500 credit enough?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
So this was an interesting question to me. DID the LED trucks have a different wiring or just another control unit.
Thinking about an upgrade because the world models wildtrak halogen lights are a bad joke and aftermarket stuff isn‘t allowed due to this stupid german laws…
The wiring is the same between both halogen and LED equipped trucks, at least on the USDM Ranger. You can swap one for the other and they plug right in. Changing a couple of settings in Forscan is all that is needed for the truck to properly control the LEDs if it came with halogens stock. I did this on mine.
Sponsored

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
No notice from dealer that this is happening (I blame my salesperson / order taker and not the dealership as this dealership is very well regarded here), but I'm wondering if the $500 credit is sufficient.

Are there any other Ford cars / trucks where LED headlights can be added as an option, and if so what is the option priced at? When I custom ordered my Mini Cooper years ago, LED headlights were a $1000 option.

Or, should we press Ford to offer us a "go to the dealer after delivery and have the headlight assembly be swapped out for $500 installed" option when more LED assemblies are available?

I'd be more unhappy about the no choice delete by Ford (other than walking) if this vehicle will see very little use - my current truck is 21 years old and only sees about 3000 miles a year if that. The Ranger is replacing it so I can tow a horse trailer in a CA fire emergency - the horse that I do not have yet and will be gotten as part of the "happy wife, happy life" program ;)
Just a quick add on to this. I noticed on my window sticker and confirmed with my dealer that it is not just the LED headlights that were deleted, but the LED foglights as well. Both light sets are being replace with halogen lights. So there is no way $500 will cover all 4. Even my dealer said they can‘t purchase LED replacements wholesale at anywhere near that price.

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
Just a quick add on to this. I noticed on my window sticker and confirmed with my dealer that it is not just the LED headlights that were deleted, but the LED foglights as well. Both light sets are being replace with halogen lights. So there is no way $500 will cover all 4. Even my dealer said they can‘t purchase LED replacements wholesale at anywhere near that price.
Yeah $500 is a joke.
I have an XLT so I didn't have a choice with LED's
I'm going to get some Alpha Rexx Pro's because I want the LED DRL bar, it also doesn't do that cheesy animation and I can always switch the halogen bulb out for LED's and I don't think you can switch out the LED's in the Luxx or Morimotos if for some reason one goes out.

Last edited:

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it depends on your idea of "good" aftermarket LED headlight housings. You can get some AlphaRex LEDs for $850, and I'd consider them to be good. The labor of having them installed by someone would be a lot I'd imagine, if you didn't want to do it yourself. I installed a set myself this past weekend in my 2019 XLT and it took a few hours from start to finish, including some hiccups along the way. But I understand that not everyone has ability (time, skill, tools, etc.) to it themselves.

Either way, I would agree that $500 is not enough to compensate for removing LED headlights.
That is the route I am going on my XL.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
No notice from dealer that this is happening (I blame my salesperson / order taker and not the dealership as this dealership is very well regarded here), but I'm wondering if the $500 credit is sufficient.

Are there any other Ford cars / trucks where LED headlights can be added as an option, and if so what is the option priced at? When I custom ordered my Mini Cooper years ago, LED headlights were a $1000 option.

Or, should we press Ford to offer us a "go to the dealer after delivery and have the headlight assembly be swapped out for $500 installed" option when more LED assemblies are available?

I'd be more unhappy about the no choice delete by Ford (other than walking) if this vehicle will see very little use - my current truck is 21 years old and only sees about 3000 miles a year if that. The Ranger is replacing it so I can tow a horse trailer in a CA fire emergency - the horse that I do not have yet and will be gotten as part of the "happy wife, happy life" program ;)

So much content has been removed since my 2019 purchase I would probably skip Ranger for the time being. :(

ter240

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat, Tremor
Occupation
Self Employed
My truck is supposed to be built this week with a blend date of 8/19 according to the sticker I retrieved. To nonoes surprise my Lariat is being built with XLT headlights and fog lights. ARGHHHH!

I've contacted my dealer to see what, if anything Ford is prepared to do besides the paltry $500 credit.

Looking at alternatives, and trying to keep a balance between performance and price, the AlphaRex LUXX seems like the best aftermarket option. The others are over $12-1300 and in my opinion have too much video game flash to them. Thoughts?

That said, since there are likely to be 10+ of us in this position, how about a group buy?

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
My truck is supposed to be built this week with a blend date of 8/19 according to the sticker I retrieved. To nonoes surprise my Lariat is being built with XLT headlights and fog lights. ARGHHHH!

I've contacted my dealer to see what, if anything Ford is prepared to do besides the paltry $500 credit.

Looking at alternatives, and trying to keep a balance between performance and price, the AlphaRex LUXX seems like the best aftermarket option. The others are over $12-1300 and in my opinion have too much video game flash to them. Thoughts?

That said, since there are likely to be 10+ of us in this position, how about a group buy?
If I am searching for ones to purchase separately, I want something with an amazing warranty, or with replaceable bulbs.

I am trying to get my dealer to cover or give additional $ off, so if I have to purchase myself would be interested in a group buy.

But I am not holding my breath for a September delivery. I am thinking October-November at best.

delaware

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Yaris, 95 Chevy G20, 62 VW
Occupation
Engineer

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
If I am searching for ones to purchase separately, I want something with an amazing warranty, or with replaceable bulbs.

I am trying to get my dealer to cover or give additional $ off, so if I have to purchase myself would be interested in a group buy.

But I am not holding my breath for a September delivery. I am thinking October-November at best.
The AlphaRex Pros has halogen bulbs that are replaceable with drop in LEDs is my understanding, They are projectors and not reflectors. Also the Pros LED DRL doesn't do that funky start up dance like Luxx or Nova has.
I'm leaning toward the Pros because the bulbs can be changed out.
I'd have to pay to have the headlight assemblies installed so if Luxx or Nova had a LED that went bad that would mean I'd have to pay again to have them taken out, my halogens put back in while I send off the bad LED and then pay all over again to have them put back in

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
The AlphaRex Pros has halogen bulbs that are replaceable with drop in LEDs is my understanding, They are projectors and not reflectors. Also the Pros LED DRL doesn't do that funky start up dance like Luxx or Nova has.
I'm leaning toward the Pros because the bulbs can be changed out.
I'd have to pay to have the headlight assemblies installed so if Luxx or Nova had a LED that went bad that would mean I'd have to pay again to have them taken out, my halogens put back in while I send off the bad LED and then pay all over again to have them put back in
Yup, went with the pros cause they dont have that silly animation startup and can swap in leds. Be careful though cause not all leds can fit in there. Theres a thread on here a bit back that had some leds to get that fit.
Prob the best lights ive ever had with the brightness and sharpness of it, although the cutoffs from left to right were annoying to adjust the lights.

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
Yup, went with the pros cause they dont have that silly animation startup and can swap in leds. Be careful though cause not all leds can fit in there. Theres a thread on here a bit back that had some leds to get that fit.
Prob the best lights ive ever had with the brightness and sharpness of it, although the cutoffs from left to right were annoying to adjust the lights.
I was thinking about putting some GTR Minis in them. They should fit but I'll see if I can the thread you mentioned.
I think for me the Pros are the better option. Like mentioned.. no startup animation and the ability to swap bulbs...
I just know if I went with the Luxx/Nova or the Morimotos with my luck one of the LED's would go out and I'd have to have the assembly uninstalled and sent off

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
I was thinking about putting some GTR Minis in them. They should fit but I'll see if I can the thread you mentioned.
I think for me the Pros are the better option. Like mentioned.. no startup animation and the ability to swap bulbs...
I just know if I went with the Luxx/Nova or the Morimotos with my luck one of the LED's would go out and I'd have to have the assembly uninstalled and sent off
Yeah it took me like 4 hours to swap headlights, i didnt want to do that ever again for an issue, covered by warranty or not.
I think i had the gtrs in mine, but they didnt fit so i left the dust cap off. No issues when washing the truck or dust, but not sure long term.

Also you dont need to take them out when replacing the bulbs, but it is very tight.

ter240

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat, Tremor
Occupation
Self Employed
I here you on the PITA factor of swapping the lights and potentially having to deal with LED module failure. I think if I'm going to settle for swapping bulbs I'll leave the XLT housings in and swap LED builds into them. Either way you end up with bad reflectivity....

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
Yeah it took me like 4 hours to swap headlights, i didnt want to do that ever again for an issue, covered by warranty or not.
I think i had the gtrs in mine, but they didnt fit so i left the dust cap off. No issues when washing the truck or dust, but not sure long term.

Also you dont need to take them out when replacing the bulbs, but it is very tight.
I got a buddy that was a mechanic at one time and told him I was wanting to swap the housing out. He was like man let's just do it after work one day and get it done. I said let me send you a youtube video of the swap and let me know...
He later told me yeah...you're gonna want to get someone else to fool with all that madness ???

RangerVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT
I here you on the PITA factor of swapping the lights and potentially having to deal with LED module failure. I think if I'm going to settle for swapping bulbs I'll leave the XLT housings in and swap LED builds into them. Either way you end up with bad reflectivity....
Well the Alpha Pros are projectors and vs the stock reflector housings so the Pros should do better but plenty here drop in Auxitos and seem happy with them. With as many drops ins, bro trucks with lights all over the place, even semis with HID/LEDs learning to not look directly at lights is a must now a days..
@Frenchy will be along shortly to tell you not to do that LED drop in to your stocks though ?
Sponsored