First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Our XL doesn't have the folding mirrors or the sliding rear window. We traded our '02 Tacoma for the 2019 Ranger.

We used to use the sliding rear window in the Tacoma a lot for hauling light gauge items, (wood trim, pvc, etc) that wouldn't fit in the 6 ft. bed. But the Tacoma had the full height sliding window. Once open there was no glass at the bottom, just an aluminum track the glass slid in. I'd be leery of setting anything on the glass like the Ranger window has.

After looking in the rear view of the Tacoma and seeing that little sliding window for 17 years.... I really like the unobstructed view looking in the rear view mirror of the Ranger.

Rear Window Glass.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

NBRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat FX4
Occupation
retired
Only had the Ranger for 2wks didn't know the mirrors folded will have to look at that tomorrow but the rear slider is something I use a lot. Like the above poster I too came from a Tacoma with a manual rear slider that I could open from the drivers seat now with the Ranger I just open it when leaving home and close it when I get back but it's worth the little extra hassle just for the great air flow....

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I pretty much share the same sentiment about the rear sliding window. My Colorado shares the same problem. A manual sliding window only makes sense in a single cab truck. Thank God I have kids to open or close it as needed. I was looking at getting this for my Colorado, but I'm sure it could also be used for the Ranger.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25980205-ACDELCO-SERVICE-REGULATOR/dp/B005OVM1KC

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I just took a short highway trip with the rear window open, it does stop the harmonics.
Also @Ranger_Rocks I have a two car garage with one door, in order to fit both my Ranger and my wife’s Santa Fe and get the doors open I have to pull in and then tuck the truck all the way over, so I’m literally an inch or two from the door opening when I pull in/out. I retract my mirrors so I only have to move over a little to clear the door opening.
Plus one for the slider, I'm sure it would be the same for the SuperCab.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

Professoriate

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Adidas trail runners
I decided against the slider for several reasons.
1] it appeared small and unreachable.
2] it seemed to somewhat obstruct rear visibility.
3] my experience with sliders was just turbulence and noise.

Of course every application is somewhat different... A slider works great with a topper and a seal for instance.
This brings up an annoying problem I have found common on newer vehicles in general and my Ranger SuperCab in particular.
When the windows are down, it can not be driven above 20MPH without inducing horrible harmonics. I plan to install window vents and will see if they result in any mitigation of the problem.
My TC even warns of the harmonics and the shades did nothing to help.
You simply have to drive with the windows up to prevent it.

Does the rear slider help with the harmonics problem?
When you’re talking about harmonics, do you mean helmholtz resonances?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to test your harmonics question, the problem I'm having with the rear slider is my dog fits through it.
I always drive with all the windows up, regardless of the weather, to keep things inside the cabin as quiet as possible to listen to my music on the B&O. However, I sometimes like to open the rear slider when the truck is parked, either to keep it cooler inside during a hike, or to let the music out into the bed if I am hanging back there sipping tea after a workout. So a manually sliding rear window is not entirely useless to me, but, yeah, of course, I agree that a switch-controlled electric slider in the rear would be a huge improvement.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Specifically to your two items - button and window.

Wrap your head around this.
That button disables the windows for all passengers EXCEPT the rear window which can ONLY be operated by a passenger in the back seat.

Why the HELL would they give you a disable button that DOESN'T disable the rear window? So you decide to lock the windows and your kids in a booster seat can reach up and slide that window back and forth.

I agree that these two options are dumb, but put together they amplify the dumbitude of each other. They have a certain Synergistic Stupidity.

What was Ford Thinking!?!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Third and Fourth Totally Useless Features
For me, the SiriusXM radio & trial subscription, and the included wifi hotspot and subscription..
My last three vehicles have had the SiriusXM and my Escape also has the hotspot subscription.
When I drove semis, a few of my fellow drivers listened to some of the podcasts on S/XM and my in-laws are addicted to some 50's channels and I think a dedicated Elvis Channel. :rolleyes:. I am more of a "streamer." I dock my iPhone with the CarPlay and get audio entertainment that way.
I let the S/XM trial lapse without ever having turned it on, and once the trial wifi expired, I let that go too. I have a hotspot feature on my existing plan, but as I am the only person in the car most of the time, I don't haven need for it. My GPS (Rand McNally) has the ability to overlay weather, traffic and fuel prices using my wifi hotspot, but I rarely do, choosing instead to look out the windshield and see what the weather and traffic are doing, and that both gas stations at the exit ramp have exactly the same price.
I might be an outlier as far as these features go; the car companies continue to install them, so folks must still be using them.

Sliding Rear window: My '79 Dodge W250 Power Wagon was the first truck I had with one. It was a Club Cab (supercab) so, like a screen door on a submarine, it never got used. My '92 Ranger XL was a regular cab with no slider and crank windows. Today I would probably opt for a Sport Trac-type retractable full rear window or a power sunroof.

OP
OP
GaryMc

GaryMc

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat RWD, 2019 Lincoln Nautilus
Occupation
Retired
Third and Fourth Totally Useless Features
For me, the SiriusXM radio & trial subscription, and the included wifi hotspot and subscription..
My last three vehicles have had the SiriusXM and my Escape also has the hotspot subscription.
When I drove semis, a few of my fellow drivers listened to some of the podcasts on S/XM and my in-laws are addicted to some 50's channels and I think a dedicated Elvis Channel. :rolleyes:. I am more of a "streamer." I dock my iPhone with the CarPlay and get audio entertainment that way.
I let the S/XM trial lapse without ever having turned it on, and once the trial wifi expired, I let that go too. I have a hotspot feature on my existing plan, but as I am the only person in the car most of the time, I don't haven need for it. My GPS (Rand McNally) has the ability to overlay weather, traffic and fuel prices using my wifi hotspot, but I rarely do, choosing instead to look out the windshield and see what the weather and traffic are doing, and that both gas stations at the exit ramp have exactly the same price.
I might be an outlier as far as these features go; the car companies continue to install them, so folks must still be using them.

Sliding Rear window: My '79 Dodge W250 Power Wagon was the first truck I had with one. It was a Club Cab (supercab) so, like a screen door on a submarine, it never got used. My '92 Ranger XL was a regular cab with no slider and crank windows. Today I would probably opt for a Sport Trac-type retractable full rear window or a power sunroof.
I definitely agree with you on both of these points, but I do have my trial SiriusXM activated, however I know that I will let it expire in August. If I want to listen to that, I can get it on my phone and stream it through Sync3/Android Auto in my Ranger since my wife's car has a paid subscription.
As for the HotSpot, I see no reason to use it and then purchase the plan since my phone already has a paid plan on it. My Ranger is our 3rd vehicle with the hotspot, and we have never used it on any of them.
The Sport Trac window was very nice. I could stop it about 3 inches from the top, or take it all the way down with a button on the overhead console. I used it almost daily.

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
the folding mirrors would be helpful in the back country, we climb 14ers here in Colorado and some of the roads get pretty narrow. I put a cap on my crew cab so the rear slider would serve no purpose at all. I had a slider on my 94 super cab with a cap and road noise was all it did when it was open

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
When you’re talking about harmonics, do you mean helmholtz resonances?
Probably.... If not, it is likely related to some degree.
The effect does not produce any pure sound and so is not tonal in nature.
It is more like a constant harsh "buffeting" without much disturbance inside the cab.
Roll your front window(s) down and drive +40MPH, then report back here with a better explanation.

On my TC, Ford claims that rolling the back side windows down will mitigate the effect, if it does it is not by much.
Unfortunately my SuperCab Ranger has fixed rear and side rear windows.

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
I miss the power sliding rear window the Ridgeline I traded in had .....it was great after leaving the mexican place with the family. Open that and the drivers window would clear the fouled air in the cab instantly .

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I miss the power sliding rear window the Ridgeline I traded in had .....it was great after leaving the mexican place with the family. Open that and the drivers window would clear the fouled air in the cab instantly .
I do the opposite...I roll up the windows and hit the lock button. ?
Sponsored