First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
After seeing all the options out there, it can become overwhelming and confusing. Is there anything for the folks that just want a good weekly car wash soap and maybe options for easy paint protection. I just don't see how I could spend hours on my car especially with all the day to day life activities that kids demand, soccer, dance etc. Can the carper reset be used as a weekly carwash? Also I live in FL and have been using chemical bros car wash lately seems to work for the average "busy" household. Thanks for your advise.
I would get a professional ceramic coating then. Wash with CarPro’s reset and dry with their detail spray.
If too expensive and you don’t want to use the spray coatings talked about above, I would just go with McGuire’s Ultimate line, wash’n’wax soap and detailer, or spray wax.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I would get a professional ceramic coating then. Wash with CarPro’s reset and dry with their detail spray.
If too expensive and you don’t want to use the spray coatings talked about above, I would just go with McGuire’s Ultimate line, wash’n’wax soap and detailer, or spray wax.
There are a LOT of options and a LOT of promises. I would alternately suggest the Turtle Wax Hybrid wax or the Griot's 3 in 1 ceramic wax:

https://www.turtlewax.com/en-us/our...tle-wax-hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-coating/

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/ceramic+3in1+wax.do

I think I will be purchasing the Griot's garage product when my turtle wax is gone. They are both quick and easy to apply, which makes it a lot easier to do more frequently.

soccer26fan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Veteran
Your expertise and advice are appreciated, if anyone knows a good detailer in the cape Canaveral Melbourne area of Florida, I may just have them apply it and see if it can be maintained. Thanks again!!

LurchOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat w/501A, Built 02-08-2019
After seeing all the options out there, it can become overwhelming and confusing. Is there anything for the folks that just want a good weekly car wash soap and maybe options for easy paint protection. I just don't see how I could spend hours on my car especially with all the day to day life activities that kids demand, soccer, dance etc. Can the carper reset be used as a weekly carwash? Also I live in FL and have been using chemical bros car wash lately seems to work for the average "busy" household. Thanks for your advise.
My 2 cents.
This subject probably ranks pretty close to "what kind of oil should I use?" in terms of invoking passionate support of the products/strategies that folks are personally using. With that in mind, I'd agree that a professionally installed ceramic or graphene coating is the best base protection. But that can easily run to 4 figures for a premium, multi year protection package. And you're still faced with the weekly washing routine, which seems to be the root of your question.

If you don't go with a pro coating:
1) I'd say strip wash the current layer of protection (plenty of You Tube advice on that)
2) Optional - Clay bar or clay mitt if you find the paint needs it.
3) Wipe down all the panels with a commercial panel prep product or make you own Isopropyl alcohol solution
4) Use one of the new Ceramic Hybrid Spray Wax products as the base protection layer. Apply 2 coats with a 12-24 cure time in between. Disclosure: I'm a Griot's 3 in 1 fan, but you really can't go wrong with the new Turtle Wax lineup either. Again, You Tube has plenty of instruction on application for either of these products.
Tips: Make sure the truck is bone dry. Blow out all the trim, panel seams, etc so that no water drips or runs down the freshly applied spray wax. And of course, work in the shade only. Don't use too much product to help avoid high spots or streaks - 1 or 2 squirts per panel section. Just like when painting, 2 thin coats are better than 1 heavy coat. Strongly urge you not to get the truck wet within the first 24 hours of application; this means no dew or lawn sprinkler overspray.
5) Washing: Use a quality car shampoo, not a wash and wax product. Follow up with a light reapplication of the spray wax product you used for a base when you notice hydrophobicity beginning to fade. This reapplication shouldn't be needed more than every couple of months or so. Durability will vary with local conditions and your washing technique.

If you do go with a pro coating (or even if you decide on a DIY coating) go to step 5 for weekly washing. Only difference would be to use the topper that the coating installer recommends. (Generaly speaking, you want to stay in the same chemical family as the base coating.)
Sponsored

Last edited: