TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Returning To The Upright Position – Built On Or Before 04-Feb-2019

Issue:
Some 2019 Ranger Crew Cab vehicles built on or before 04-Feb-2019 may exhibit excessive effort to latch the rear seat back. This may be due to excessive deadening material inside the latch. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the latch with the revised part.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the
following criteria:
  • 2019 Ranger
  • Crew Cab
  • Built on or before 04-Feb-2019
ranger_tsb_19-2146-1.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-2.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-3.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-4.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-5.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-6.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-7.png
ranger_tsb_19-2146-8.png
Sponsored

Attachments

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
When I bought mine both me and sales guy thought it was 'broke' already! as he scurried around to find 'someone' I looked at my son and said F-it as i slammed it with some authority. Thats all it took, was a firm treat-it-like-a-truck slam, fully latched.

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
So, my seat back doesn't latch. I told the dealership (prior to delivery) and they said the TSB only refers to vehicles with VINs made before a certain date. I told them that it must not have been fixed on the assembly line, because mine won't re-latch at all.

When I brake, it comes forward with the momentum and then you can hear the bump as it slams back...without latching. I have to set up an appointment still to take it in and have them verify what I told them was an issue in advance. Not happy that the sales guy didn't follow through, but will take it in this week if possible to have them validate and report the problem.

I guess I could just order the repair part and put it on myself, but this way, it'll get reported to Ford.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So, my seat back doesn't latch. I told the dealership (prior to delivery) and they said the TSB only refers to vehicles with VINs made before a certain date. I told them that it must not have been fixed on the assembly line, because mine won't re-latch at all.

When I brake, it comes forward with the momentum and then you can hear the bump as it slams back...without latching. I have to set up an appointment still to take it in and have them verify what I told them was an issue in advance. Not happy that the sales guy didn't follow through, but will take it in this week if possible to have them validate and report the problem.

I guess I could just order the repair part and put it on myself, but this way, it'll get reported to Ford.
I didn't mess with the TSB. I just installed a couple of washers behind the latch catch and now it latches fine .

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I didn't mess with the TSB. I just installed a couple of washers behind the latch catch and now it latches fine .
The catch on the back wall?

WVmanowar

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a truck
The catch on the back wall?
Yes. It's something that was identified early on and was "supposed" to be corrected and not be an issue now. ...i.e. that doesn't apply to your truck that was built after that period.

me: you try to latch the back seat (and I'll watch you try...and try....and try).
salesman: oh, it doesn't latch?
me: uggghhhh. I told you that this might be an issue before you delivered it. I thought you checked it?

AdamRadam

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I found if you close it firmly with your palm right below the release strap, just to the left of the top of the arm rest, it seems to latch as expected. You kind of have to have momentum when you do it. I had some issues initially, but this seems to work. If I just try to slam it up from the side of the seat it doesn't seem to latch properly unless I slam it. Pretty easy work around. I wish I saw this before as I just got my truck back from the leaky passenger side mirror directional holding water. They could have taken care of this TSB as well. Next time I have it in for something, I will have them take care of it. Not worth a separate trip as this seems to work just fine for me.

20200707_181708.jpg

Rick D

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I found if you close it firmly with your palm right below the release strap, just to the left of the top of the arm rest, it seems to latch as expected. You kind of have to have momentum when you do it. I had some issues initially, but this seems to work. If I just try to slam it up from the side of the seat it doesn't seem to latch properly unless I slam it. Pretty easy work around. I wish I saw this before as I just got my truck back from the leaky passenger side mirror directional holding water. They could have taken care of this TSB as well. Next time I have it in for something, I will have them take care of it. Not worth a separate trip as this seems to work just fine for me.

20200707_181708.jpg

Rick D

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I tried washers, after 3 on each bolt, it was just starting to touch the latch. I went to Ace and got some plastic 1/8" spacers and it now shuts normal, mild slam. I did not have to mess with the bumpers.

upload_2019-3-23_16-26-39-png.png

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
Just an update. Dealer has ordered parts and going to perform TSB: 19-2146

TSB is for 2019 model and mines a '21 btw.

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
Had some scheduling issues but finally dropped the truck in the morning today and just picked it up. TSB was completed. Seat now latches with a just a little push ....no longer have to slam it.

Highly recommend getting this done instead of using brute force ...lol. Have a good day, lads.
Sponsored