Truck lights stay on when switched to off position.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
From the Service Manual:

2 Types of DRL's
Conventional and Configurable

Conventional DRL (non-configurable) - Come on in ANY switch position EXCEPT Headlamps
(Cannot enable through IPC)
although possible through ForScan (????)

Conventional DRLs are activated when the following conditions are met:

1. Ignition ON
2. Headlamp Switch is in Off, Park Lamps or Auto Lamps and headlamps have not been turned on by Auto Lamps
3. Transmission not in Park

Configurable DRL:

Enabled through the IPC

Are activated when the following conditions are met:

1. Ignition On
2. Headlamp Switch in Auto Lamps and the Headlamps have not been turned on by the Auto Lamp system

So, it appears normal operation (if) you have the Conventional DRL's, one way to tell would be to see if you have a setting on the drivers display (left side) for DRL's, I can check and uncheck this box on my USA Lariat this allows me to tun off the DRL's as well as select to include park lamps
Sponsored

OP
OP
TdotReckless

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT - 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Using the word "dumb dumbs" is inadequate, these idiots should be referred to as morons instead.

I cannot fathom how and why these jackasses think that the reduced light output from their headlights when in DRL mode and driving along nightime is normal.

Not to mention the entire ass end of the vehicle awash in total darkness...
Working in the emergency field in Toronto, at night i'd say 20% of people don't have their lights on. It's actually unbelievable- for this now my truck stays lit up like a Xmas tree 24/7 ?

OP
OP
TdotReckless

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the Service Manual:

2 Types of DRL's
Conventional and Configurable

Conventional DRL (non-configurable) - Come on in ANY switch position EXCEPT Headlamps
(Cannot enable through IPC)
although possible through ForScan (????)

Conventional DRLs are activated when the following conditions are met:

1. Ignition ON
2. Headlamp Switch is in Off, Park Lamps or Auto Lamps and headlamps have not been turned on by Auto Lamps

Configurable DRL:

Enabled through the IPC

Are activated when the following conditions are met:

1. Ignition On
2. Headlamp Switch in Auto Lamps and the Headlamps have not been turned on by the Auto Lamp system

So, it appears normal operation (if) you have the Conventional DRL's, one way to tell would be to see if you have a setting on the drivers display (left side) for DRL's, I can check and uncheck this box on my USA Lariat this allows me to tun off the DRL's as well as select to include park lamps
This is true, thread is a tad old but my issue is not a issue. If you live in Canada and your ranger was built after December of 2021, you will be paying more in bulbs lol. So far only my license plate lights have gone out, upgraded them hopefully will last a year as they're on all the time now. I do have after market marker lights that I may remove as I liked them blacked out but obviously stays on.

Deleted member 1634

I would honestly prefer all vehicles have all of their lights on all of the time. As others have stated, the number of times I've come up on a vehicle with only their DRLs on (or even no lights at all) at dusk, in the fog/rain/snow, or even in the night, and almost rear ended them is in the dozens. It's why I changed my truck via Forscan to have all the parking lights on as my DRLs. Plus, it automatically turns on the trailer lights when I'm towing too. And I did it 3 years and 60,000 miles ago and am still on the stock bulbs with no burnouts. But even if they did burn out every year, which again they don't, a ~$100 in bulbs a year is not a dealbreaker for the extra safety I get. At least for me.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
FYI, I've been driving in Canada since 1986.
I've been running DRL's as long as they have been a legal requirement.
I've changed 2 bulbs in my lifetime.

OP
OP
TdotReckless

TdotReckless

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, I've been driving in Canada since 1986.
I've been running DRL's as long as they have been a legal requirement.
I've changed 2 bulbs in my lifetime.
FYI, the NEW law states ford to make all lights stay on while your DLR's are on.... aka( license plates, marker lights, tail lights and your fronts) I've already burnt out a bulb in the license plate as it runs on the brightest days. My new tremor was delivered in June while my 2019 ranger has not popped any bulbs as the truck is not lit up other than the basic DLR's. When first making the thread I thought there was a issue until looking into the new laws that passed in Canada in late 2021. Notice all the brand new trucks just lit up now during the day haha.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I would honestly prefer all vehicles have all of their lights on all of the time. As others have stated, the number of times I've come up on a vehicle with only their DRLs on (or even no lights at all) at dusk, in the fog/rain/snow, or even in the night, and almost rear ended them is in the dozens. It's why I changed my truck via Forscan to have all the parking lights on as my DRLs. Plus, it automatically turns on the trailer lights when I'm towing too. And I did it 3 years and 60,000 miles ago and am still on the stock bulbs with no burnouts. But even if they did burn out every year, which again they don't, a ~$100 in bulbs a year is not a dealbreaker for the extra safety I get. At least for me.
I agree, I have done the same with my DRLs for the same reasons. My headlight switch is set to Auto and never moves, might as well glue it there. Never need to mess with it. It also turns the headlights on when I turn the wipers on. Which is a requirement in my and many states. The Auto high beams are just an added benefit.

People need to realize that having the lights on is not just to see by, but also to be seen.

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
FYI, the NEW law states ford to make all lights stay on while your DLR's are on.... aka( license plates, marker lights, tail lights and your fronts) I've already burnt out a bulb in the license plate as it runs on the brightest days. My new tremor was delivered in June while my 2019 ranger has not popped any bulbs as the truck is not lit up other than the basic DLR's. When first making the thread I thought there was a issue until looking into the new laws that passed in Canada in late 2021. Notice all the brand new trucks just lit up now during the day haha.
My point was, and it applies to you as well, that I'm not a big enough sample to make any determination on the longevity of a bulb.
Opinions aside, the claim that everyone's gonna be changing bulbs now is hogwash until proven with data over a larger sample size than you or I.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
probably just a bad bulb

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Working in the emergency field in Toronto, at night i'd say 20% of people don't have their lights on. It's actually unbelievable- for this now my truck stays lit up like a Xmas tree 24/7 ?
A good buddy's daughter was killed in a horrific car crash in CA a couple of years ago.

She was a passenger in the back seat of a rented Camry on I5 headed from San Francisco to San Jose.
The driver of the rented Toyota was unaware that he was driving at night with just DRL's on, oblivious to the fact that all rear running lights were off.

Along came two imbeciles racing on the freeway behind them, it was estimated that the Porsche which rear ended the Camry was doing at least 100 mph.

The Porsche driver was killed instantly, my buddy's daughter succumbed to her injuries an hour or so later in the hospital.

If there isn't already, there should be a mandate which links the exterior lighting system to a photocell which overrides DRL's and automatically illuminates all exterior running lights when dark, irregardless of the headlight switch position...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there isn't already, there should be a mandate which links the exterior lighting system to a photocell which overrides DRL's and automatically illuminates all exterior running lights when dark, irregardless of the headlight switch position...
that's the new reg in canada, but here in the US we'll have to endure 10 years of handwringing over "nanny rules" and "overregulation" before we can do the same

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
that's the new reg in canada, but here in the US we'll have to endure 10 years of handwringing over "nanny rules" and "overregulation" before we can do the same
So true, however I'm wondering how many people will be killed or severely injured in the meantime...

Illuminated instrument clusters whenever the ignition is on add to the false sense of security as well.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Illuminated instrument clusters whenever the ignition is on add to the false sense of security as well.
I think the illuminated clusters are the biggest contributing factor--you tend to notice if you're driving around and can't see the speedometer, etc.--and I tend to think it kinda sucks that the manufacturers won't fix this without being forced to.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
It may not be mandated here in the US, but most new cars have automatic headlights, assuming you keep it in the Auto mode. I can't remember when I actually turn on the headlights myself. The one's I see with no lights in the rain or at dawn/dusk are older cars, which wouldn't be affected by a new mandate.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may not be mandated here in the US, but most new cars have automatic headlights, assuming you keep it in the Auto mode. I can't remember when I actually turn on the headlights myself. The one's I see with no lights in the rain or at dawn/dusk are older cars, which wouldn't be affected by a new mandate.
That's a fine solution, if not for the fact that auto mode is something you have to turn on. I also leave mine set that way all the time...except every time I go to the dealer and they helpfully turn off the lights. I'm observant enough to fix it, but clearly a lot of people are not. Ford's implementation does fix the DRL problem (they only work in auto mode), but not the "dashboard is lit up so lights must be ok" problem.
Sponsored