RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running an attic netting in their truck cap / topper. I'm looking to store my sleeping bag, pillows, and other lightweight items there.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

You mean like this?

I added mine myself. Pretty easy. Just JB Welded some studs to the ceiling, let them cure out, I already had the net, and boom done.

IMG_20200510_145459643.jpg

I only did mine half wide since I have a windoor on the driver's side, so I can easily open that, reach up and in, and easily grab anything I have stored up there.

The JB Weld is rated at like 3000 psi tension, so you could hang a lot up there. But, as you can see, I usually just store tote bags, hats, maps, and other miscellaneous loose items. It really is one of the most useful additions I've made.

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like this?

I added mine myself. Pretty easy. Just JB Welded some studs to the ceiling, let them cure out, I already had the net, and boom done.

IMG_20200510_145459643.jpg

I only did mine half wide since I have a windoor on the driver's side, so I can easily open that, reach up and in, and easily grab anything I have stored up there.

The JB Weld is rated at like 3000 psi tension, so you could hang a lot up there. But, as you can see, I usually just store tote bags, hats, maps, and other miscellaneous loose items. It really is one of the most useful additions I've made.
Yup! This is exactly what I was after. I didn't want to drill into my cap so the JB Weld is a nice alternative. I hadn't thought about that. Very helpful. Thank you!

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Yup! This is exactly what I was after. I didn't want to drill into my cap so the JB Weld is a nice alternative. I hadn't thought about that. Very helpful. Thank you!
One other question. Do you remember which JB Weld application you used?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone running an attic netting in their truck cap / topper. I'm looking to store my sleeping bag, pillows, and other lightweight items there.
Hey Vince, You might be able to make the interior anchor points of your topper’s roof tracks double as anchors for a net like Matt is using. I’m thinking of doing that with my Rhino Rack. I don’t have tracks but direct mounts for the legs. completely possible on mine, thinking it might be the same for yours.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

One other question. Do you remember which JB Weld application you used?
I used this plastic weld type. Since you're bonding plastic to fiberglass, that's essentially what this one is exactly for. And they're darn solid. And it looks like it actually has 3900psi tensile strength, so better than I had remembered. Just got to make sure and prep each bonding surface really well so it can bite correctly.

Also, I used these as the bonded on anchors. Kind of made for that purpose and kind of not. I just removed the adhesive that came on the back of them (since it'd in no way be strong enough), and didn't use the screws. Though I had thought about using the screws if they were shorter and would just puncture into the core of the ceiling. But they were long enough that they'd go all the way through, so I just left them off and it's still more than strong enough.

Hey Vince, You might be able make the interior anchor points of your topper’s roof tracks double as anchors for a net like Matt is using. I’m thinking of doing that with my Rhino Rack. I don’t have tracks but direct mounts for the legs. completely possible on mine, thinking it might be the same for yours.
I had thought about doing the anchor method, since that's essentially the go to way. But with mine being a half width net, that's not really possible since there are not feet or anchor points down the centerline of the topper. If you're doing a full net system, then that'd be a good way though.

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Vince, You might be able make the interior anchor points of your topper’s roof tracks double as anchors for a net like Matt is using. I’m thinking of doing that with my Rhino Rack. I don’t have tracks but direct mounts for the legs. completely possible on mine, thinking it might be the same for yours.
I’ll have to look into that. That’s another good option. Keep us posted!

OP
OP
RangerVA

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I used this plastic weld type. Since you're bonding plastic to fiberglass, that's essentially what this one is exactly for. And they're darn solid. And it looks like it actually has 3900psi tensile strength, so better than I had remembered. Just got to make sure and prep each bonding surface really well so it can bite correctly.

Also, I used these as the bonded on anchors. Kind of made for that purpose and kind of not. I just removed the adhesive that came on the back of them (since it'd in no way be strong enough), and didn't use the screws. Though I had thought about using the screws if they were shorter and would just puncture into the core of the ceiling. But they were long enough that they'd go all the way through, so I just left them off and it's still more than strong enough.

I had thought about doing the anchor method, since that's essentially the go to way. But with mine being a half width net, that's not really possible since there are not feet or anchor points down the centerline of the topper. If you're doing a full net system, then that'd be a good way though.
Awesome. I’m looking to do a full attic net, so I get your point about wanting to go the route you went. It’s a great setup for what you are using it for. Thanks for all the info and links. Much appreciated.
Sponsored