Trickle Charger

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Got my CTCK 40-206 MXS charger yesterday, and installed the cables to the battery. I just need see if the company offers an extension cord less than 8'. Then I can try to figure how to mount the Port to plug it into the front of the truck with out having to open the hood up to plug in the cable to charge.

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6734.jpg
Sponsored

hthomas49

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Fx4
Did anyone have a problem with a trickle charger effecting their radio? I installed one and it caused my radio to reset each time I started the truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did anyone have a problem with a trickle charger effecting their radio? I installed one and it caused my radio to reset each time I started the truck.

I've been using mine for almost 2 years now and have never had any issues with my radio.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Over the winter, I used it once a week.. Warmer weather once a month.. No issues here.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Got my CTCK 40-206 MXS charger yesterday, and installed the cables to the battery. I just need see if the company offers an extension cord less than 8'. Then I can try to figure how to mount the Port to plug it into the front of the truck with out having to open the hood up to plug in the cable to charge.

Did you ever find out if CTEK makes a longer lead for these? I know I could make one up but it would be nice f they sold one reasonably.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
At home my truck get used every day or so, no problem keeping the battery up. On the road being towed is another matter, what with the truck being in tow mode and the supplemental braking system using power. So I installed a 12vdc>13.8vdc charger powered by pin4 (12+v) on the RV tow cable, and it keeps the tow car's battery charged, will trickle or smart charge up to 10 amps.
https://rvibrake.com/products/towed-battery-charger-plus
Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 13.34.11.jpg

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I would occasionally trickle charge the battery for about 3 years and then see where the voltage is at. Motorcycles use the AGM or sealed battery. They usually deteriorated under 1 volt after 3 years.
A good car battery can last 7 years. The Ranger seems very demanding of the battery.

I would then replace the OEM battery with maybe an Optima or something of high quality.

Of all matters I have read on the 5G Forum, where catastrophic failure may happen due to a problematic battery is Flat Towing.
Sponsored