Trey's Magnetic Lariat FX4 "Rainier"

DeadSkiHead

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Thank you! Overall, I don’t know but I’d estimate it’s about 2.5-3 inches taller than stock at the roof without the 2m antenna. The tires probably bring it up 1.25” and the front lift another 1.5” in the middle. The antenna is 23” tall, but it’s spring loaded and will bend to the height of the AM/FM antenna.

It fits into a 6’6” parking garage
Sweet! I'm in a small parking garage too and I found the lowest hanging pipe to be right at 80 inches. When we put the Yakima ski rack on top, it scrapes, so I have to take it off every time I pull in the garage. But the stock height of the Ranger FX4 is 71.5 inches, if I recall correctly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trey1940

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
I've been towing a lot of trailers lately, and, while most of them are light, they're getting heavier. Time to install the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite that's been in my back seat for two months.

Installing the Redarc was simple enough, but dang, the factory harness wires are SHORT! They had me bent at all kinds of weird angles under the dash crimping them together. I zip-tied the Tow Pro box to the metal support under the fuse panel under the steering wheel, and mounted the control knob under the drive mode selector. There's a honeycomb structural pattern under that panel, I took a pair of pliers and sort of sheared it off until the back of the rotary knob cleared. There's a TON of room under there to work. To get under that panel, I started at the cupholder seam with a plastic trim tool and gently pried up the clips all the way to the front. I left the front clips in place and just hinged the rear of the panel upward enough to work.

While I was under the dash playing with electricity, I finished running power to my Wouxun KG-UV920P-A 2-meter/70-centimeter radio. I had already mounted the faceplate in the dash tray, the speaker mic on the console through the Lightforce fascia, and the antenna through the roof, so it was time to mount the radio chassis. I don't have a photo, but I mounted it on the C-pillar right where the rear seat hinges, so I can reach it for programming without moving the seat.

Here's an updated view of my console, also featuring Sync 3.4
IMG_2101.JPG

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Nice work, looks clean! I was thinking of mounting my ScanGuage there but I wasn’t sure if the heat in the summer would hurt it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nice work, looks clean! I was thinking of mounting my ScanGuage there but I wasn’t sure if the heat in the summer would hurt it.
That would be a puddle of plastic by the end of April here.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've had good luck with the radio on my Fiesta being up there, but I don't regularly see temps over 100 like you do!
I grew up and lived in WMA for over 50 years and it's rare to see 100 out there. At least on the Vineyard you get the ocean breeze and while it still gets hot and muggy the breeze keeps the temps down some. Heck by mid August it'll still be well over 100 at 10;00 pm here but it's the price we pay to have 79* days in February and not have to deal with snow. :)

OP
OP
Trey1940

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Less mods, more road trips! I've been busy putting some miles under Rainier.

First off, a trip to Atlanta and Charlotte for my girlfriend's birthday weekend. I took her to her two favorite places, the Georgia Aquarium and ST Octane Academy! 2,467.9 miles. The trip fuel economy worked out pretty close to the hand-calculated 20.4 MPG.
6375CD40-280C-4712-B2E3-F44C01CDFA90.JPG

IMG_2616 2.JPG

Next up was a trip to Maine to help my parents finish a shack we built last fall on their property
7B4B172D-E7D1-4F0B-A39E-56E1746C97AB.JPG
EEEC048B-9274-4613-B892-21FCE7A4E114.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG

The Truxedo tonneau cover was a huge factor in the success of this trip, as it was pouring rain the entire drive from southeast Massachusetts to eastern Maine. I took ALL of the equipment, since it all had to stay dry and my mom's F-150 doesn't have anything to cover the bed. Bonus, you couldn't tell at all that there was anything underneath it.

8,565 miles later, I still LOVE this truck.

OP
OP
Trey1940

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11,111.1 mile update.

The only new "mod" is I got drunk one night and tinted my tail lights, and it came out great if you don't get closer than 20 feet from them. I'll re-do them eventually, but I've been so busy with work that I've only done routine maintenance.

A few observations now that I'm in the 5-figure odometer club:
-Fuel economy is 2-3mpg better in tow/haul mode
-10th gear is only useful over 70mph, otherwise the engine lugs and fuel economy suffers
-Tire pressure has a HUGE effect on the ride and handling, I can feel the difference between 30 and 32psi
-Jumping the stock FX4 suspension is pretty sketchy

We're still going back and forth to Maine every so often
IMG_5483.JPG

We're towing bigger, heavier trailers. This one is about 4,500lbs as pictured, but it's weighed over 6,000 with heavier units on it. This is also a good shot of the tinted tail lights; the light shines through very well and I couldn't tell a difference in output side by side with a stock Ranger.
IMG_5400.JPG

I even towed a trailer 15 miles round trip down the beach! Aired all 8 tires down to 15psi and it didn't complain a bit, besides the three gallons of fuel I burned in 15 miles.
IMG_5362.JPG

Every so often, I even get a sunny day off, which means more driving on the beach.
IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_5633.jpg

I ordered a Whelen CenCom Core computerized emergency light system, so that will likely be the topic of my next build thread post.

Javier0419

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
11,111.1 mile update.

The only new "mod" is I got drunk one night and tinted my tail lights, and it came out great if you don't get closer than 20 feet from them. I'll re-do them eventually, but I've been so busy with work that I've only done routine maintenance.

-10th gear is only useful over 70mph, otherwise the engine lugs and fuel economy suffers
-Tire pressure has a HUGE effect on the ride and handling, I can feel the difference between 30 and 32psi

IMG_5483.JPG

We're towing bigger, heavier trailers. This one is about 4,500lbs as pictured, but it's weighed over 6,000 with heavier units on it. This is also a good shot of the tinted tail lights; the light shines through very well and I couldn't tell a difference in output side by side with a stock Ranger.
IMG_5400.JPG

I even towed a trailer 15 miles round trip down the beach! Aired all 8 tires down to 15psi and it didn't complain a bit, besides the three gallons of fuel I burned in 15 miles.
IMG_5362.JPG

Every so often, I even get a sunny day off, which means more driving on the beach.
IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_5633.jpg

I ordered a Whelen CenCom Core computerized emergency light system, so that will likely be the topic of my next build thread post.
Truck looks awesome! On the tire pressure. Are you running 32psi on street/highway or offroad ?

Keep sharing the mods!

Reactions: Doc

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
11,111.1 mile update.

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_5633.jpg

Beautiful Ranger! Also, always nice to have a bathroom around when you need one!(Sorry, couldn't help it)! :like: These things are very important when you get my age. Always seem to be searching for one.:LOL:

OP
OP
Trey1940

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck looks awesome! On the tire pressure. Are you running 32psi on street/highway or offroad ?

Keep sharing the mods!
Thanks! I'm running 30psi on the street/highway and 15psi on the beach. 32psi seems to be the point where it gets extra jittery on corrugated roads, and it's downright awful at 38psi (thanks Valvoline for the "tire pressure check") lol

OP
OP
Trey1940

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beautiful Ranger! Also, always nice to have a bathroom around when you need one!(Sorry, couldn't help it)! :like: These things are very important when you get my age. Always seem to be searching for one.:LOL:
Definitely a perk of the job! I get a lot of "heh that must be a crappy job" and "towing a lot of Tacomas I see" so it's refreshing for someone to make a comment that doesn't think they're an original comedian :LOL:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a perk of the job! I get a lot of "heh that must be a crappy job" and "towing a lot of Tacomas I see" so it's refreshing for someone to make a comment that doesn't think they're an original comedian :LOL:
Hi Trey,

Glad to see a Ranger as a work Truck. much of the prior Ranger sales were work trucks, not recreation.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

wikolipr

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Ranger FX4
Subscribed! One of my favorite builds for a Magnetic. If I ever mod mine, I'll be using yours as the inspiration.
Sponsored