travel trailer - non towing insurance question

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Curious as what level folks are insuring their travel trailers, it seems to be relatively inexpensive with the exception of collision coverage - what are your comments on the need for collision coverage, thanks
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
one advantage of teardrops (what I tow) - they're insured as utility trailers in most states because they lack a bathroom, which means they're cheap.

honestly I know relatively few people who have had to dip into their insurance on their trailer for any reason. but that said, I do know someone who somewhat recently was hit and it rolled their teardrop trailer (had an articulating hitch, so didn't roll the TV as well). The trailer box was intact, but they had to replace the axle and the doors. and insurance paid well.

considering how people often drive around anyone pulling a trailer, I'd rather be safe and carry more insurance.

Reactions: EJH

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I have pretty much “full coverage” on ours: Comp/Collision/Total Loss/Roadside Assistance. Through Progressive it’s $45/month. Except for our house, this camper is the most expensive thing we own. It’s worth the peace of mind.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I live in Massachusetts and the trailer is covered by the tow vehicles insurance for liability. It cost me $200/yr to add collision and comprehensive coverage to the trailer.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
State Farm does cover trailers through the towing vehicles coverage, but only up to a certain weight/length.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have pretty much “full coverage” on ours: Comp/Collision/Total Loss/Roadside Assistance. Through Progressive it’s $45/month. Except for our house, this camper is the most expensive thing we own. It’s worth the peace of mind.
I have full coverage with Progressive as well on our trailer that was $31k new. I have increased the coverage for contents inside, which only added a few dollars.

The cost is reasonable ($500-600/year).

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Same here for Progressive...$563 total coverage/replacement.
Over many years have found Progressive to be about the most reasonable for cost.
Had one claim several years ago for a $1500.00 awning and minus deductible, paid out $1400.00.
Best part...they did not raise rates, and still with them.
Hate their commercials (FLO).... Love their service.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
In Kansas. Full coverage. It’s not cheap. Nationwide was cheaper than Progressive or Safeco. 40K trailer is around $800 per year.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Canada. Our small cabin trailer has full replacement cost coverage included as an add-on with my truck package policy, both full coverage for $350.00 per year. Annual license and registration for the camper is around $300.00 In my province we have Gov't insurance.
IMG_1707.jpg

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
After being with Progressive for a while for auto, home, TT and umbrella coverage, we had to move on after big increases. Going with State Farm saved hundreds on every policy even the TT. BTW... we haven't had a claim for decades. The full coverage on our 2021 Winnebago TT is $349/year. Renewal from Progressive was over $600. Hard to figure where these companies get their rates. Pretty sure it has to do with where you live.
Also, liability coverage is always on the tow vehicle while underway. Except for personal liability, be sure you have that for when an invited guest trips and sues you.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Same here for Progressive...$563 total coverage/replacement.
Over many years have found Progressive to be about the most reasonable for cost.
Had one claim several years ago for a $1500.00 awning and minus deductible, paid out $1400.00.
Best part...they did not raise rates, and still with them.
Hate their commercials (FLO).... Love their service.
OMG don't get me started. I F***ing hate that lady.

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Pretty sick of seeing Jake from state farm with the cast of nfl and nba players and those Geico commercials were novel for a while but have gotten old, haven't seen a lot of Lilly in a while, the commercials I really really dislike are from Jardiance, gross.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I have had all my insurance through USAA for many years. They stopped covering travel trailers a couple years ago and partnered up with Progressive to provide that coverage. So I just went with that. Not too long ago it was $12/month on our pop-up through USAA.

Reactions: EJH

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Good Sam always treated my parents well.
When they started pushing 90 I kinda wondered if the payouts weren't more than the premium payments.
Dad died a few years ago but my 94 year old mother is still insured by them.
Sponsored