First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Tune is installed. Noted that the "new" LMS format loads in less than 5 minutes, nice.
Nice, let me know how that feels once you drive it a bit. A tune may be in the works for me after my dealer appointment in March assuming I don’t need a new valve body ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I took it out on a back road this evening and ran through that learning procedure, as best I could. Not the flattest road ever, but I managed to run it up to 10th gear and do the N-R-N-D sequence between each run. Shifts felt decent throughout the process, with the 3-4 shift a little "off" more times than not. My plan is to let the truck sit, save what it learned or whatever the hell it does, and drive it like an old lady for the next few trips, since it clearly has a learning disability. haha

I'll keep providing updates.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
thank you for posting the progress! by chance did they say what caused the valve body etc to need replacement? i took mine into dealer with similar issues as yours and im trying to get my info in order.

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
thank you for posting the progress! by chance did they say what caused the valve body etc to need replacement? i took mine into dealer with similar issues as yours and im trying to get my info in order.
I didn't get any details, but it sounds like a somewhat common issue on these transmissions and I assume that is why they had the truck back to me so quickly.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I didn't get any details, but it sounds like a somewhat common issue on these transmissions and I assume that is why they had the truck back to me so quickly.
thank you! hope it is fixed for the long run now.

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Put about 150 miles on the truck today, while taking a friend to look at properties. Mostly highway with some backroads and mild trails. The truck seemed to shift ok, not perfect though. It had a few hiccups, but pretty mild, and one time it hung up when I tried to put it in reverse...acted like it was in neutral but went right into reverse after putting it back in park and trying again. I donno...seems to be doing alright, I guess, sort of?

Not sure what my game plan is if these little transmission issues remain beyond a reasonable 'learning period'. I like the truck a lot, so hopefully things smooth out over time/miles.

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Put about 150 miles on the truck today, while taking a friend to look at properties. Mostly highway with some backroads and mild trails. The truck seemed to shift ok, not perfect though. It had a few hiccups, but pretty mild, and one time it hung up when I tried to put it in reverse...acted like it was in neutral but went right into reverse after putting it back in park and trying again. I donno...seems to be doing alright, I guess, sort of?

Not sure what my game plan is if these little transmission issues remain beyond a reasonable 'learning period'. I like the truck a lot, so hopefully things smooth out over time/miles.
I guess you can give it a bit to see if shifting smooths and if you’re still seeing issues take it back in. As they say, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. How far are you from you warranty ending? That would help me determine how soon I’d take it back in.

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I guess you can give it a bit to see if shifting smooths and if you’re still seeing issues take it back in. As they say, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. How far are you from you warranty ending? That would help me determine how soon I’d take it back in.
I have about 4k miles left before the powertrain warranty expires. It seems to be trending in the right direction, so I'm going to give it until I'm 2k out from expiration and go from there.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that's to bad but good thing it was covered under warranty still. Sids @Msfitoy was blown at 95K and now this. This will sure start a panic now. 5-4-3-2-1 :bandit:
How many threads now? Seems like more and more....

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 4k miles left before the powertrain warranty expires. It seems to be trending in the right direction, so I'm going to give it until I'm 2k out from expiration and go from there.
Don't let it get so close...they're not incentivized to fix your truck under warranty and probably wait till you run out...then they'd be happy to replace your tranny...

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The Ranger is back to the dealership for another look. Been driving my car, aside from trips to our property, so I figured I might as well give them another shot at making it right. I also decided to swap my LMS tune over to my Fiesta ST and keep the truck stock in the future. The tune is fun on the Ranger, but it has plenty of power for my needs without it. I'll follow up with whatever the dealer has to say after this visit.

OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I got a message from the dealership this morning, stating the transmission will likely be getting a "complete overhaul" under the powertrain warranty. No details beyond that at this point and I told them to do whatever they need to do, as long as it is working right when I get it back. I'll follow up with details, if/when I get more info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOVA_Ranger

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I got in touch with the service advisor today and got a bit more insight into the issues I was having. Not a transmission expert, but this is what I took away from the conversation.

When they opened up the transmission, they found that the 'CDF drum keyway' had slipped and was mispositioned, which they said is something they commonly see with these 10-speed transmissions. There was subsequent damaged noted, so they are getting it sorted out, under warranty of course.

They also noted that the transmission was never opened by the other dealership, when they claimed that they replaced the valve body, and only a software update was performed during that visit. The current dealership speculated that there might have been some miscommunication between that dealership's tech and service advisor, maybe the tech ordered the part for future install and expected that I'd bring the truck back once that part arrived. Who knows...

So, that is what I got and I should have the truck back soon. If I hear anything else, I'll post a follow-up.

I think this sums up the problem a lot of people are experiencing, if a software update doesn't do the trick:

Last edited: