Transmission hardshifting and not upshifting right.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
I have 13000 miles on my 2019 and the transmission is getting on my nerves. Hard shifts, missed shifts, extra shifts, clunking when I mash the gas pedal to pass someone. I though over time that it would "learn" but if anything it's gotten worse. I know I have a heavy foot but the way it shifts can't be good for the transmission. Maybe engine braking and other things are involved but it's making me missy manual transmission vehicles and it may lose Ford a customer
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have 13000 miles on my 2019 and the transmission is getting on my nerves. Hard shifts, missed shifts, extra shifts, clunking when I mash the gas pedal to pass someone. I though over time that it would "learn" but if anything it's gotten worse. I know I have a heavy foot but the way it shifts can't be good for the transmission. Maybe engine braking and other things are involved but it's making me missy manual transmission vehicles and it may lose Ford a customer
I know there isnt a bulletin for the transmission to be reprogrammed but I have already found that with the latest available PCM programing from ford it helps out. For the most part mine was smooth. As for the missed shifts, are you talking about the gear skip? If so that is normal for VERY light throttle. If you look up the gear ratios in the transmission you will notice they are stupid close and it already kbows what gear to go to with whatever throttle level you are at.

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This is the same thing my transmission does!! My truck is going to the dealer next tuesday for this and having them look at my head unit too. I have over 5k miles and my transmission shifts hard, does that cut off while driving. Really love the truck but this issue is annoying me.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
What do you mean by missed shifts? It is an automatic transmission, so it doesn't "miss shifts." What do you mean by extra shifts?

If you guys want to see some ridiculous and erratic transmission behavior, go drive a 3rd gen Tacoma V6 automatic for a few days, and get on a highway at 75-80mph, and you will NEVER EVER complain about the Ranger's 10 speed auto again.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
What do you mean by missed shifts? It is an automatic transmission, so it doesn't "miss shifts." What do you mean by extra shifts?

If you guys want to see some ridiculous and erratic transmission behavior, go drive a 3rd gen Tacoma V6 automatic for a few days, and get on a highway at 75-80mph, and you will NEVER EVER complain about the Ranger's 10 speed auto again.
I realize some of my terminology is wrong but the point I was trying to make is that the shifting problems are unacceptably erratic and annoying. There's no rhyme or reason to when it acts up and I'm sure when some wet behind the ears tech takes it for a drive it will not act up. Let me know what they say or do Chris.

KwikST

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor, 2004 Ranger, 2021 Subaru STI
My transmission has been shifting erratic, and slamming into gear at times. Also lags in reverse. Then while towing it overheated on me and puked fluid all over. Dealer diagnosed it as needing a transmission and ordered one last week. I am at 11K miles.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Great. I did not need to hear that. Lol I rarely tow do mine will probably give out right after warranty.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
My transmission has been shifting erratic, and slamming into gear at times. Also lags in reverse. Then while towing it overheated on me and puked fluid all over. Dealer diagnosed it as needing a transmission and ordered one last week. I am at 11K miles.

Well I just had a check engine light pop on today at only 2600 miles, glad I didnt let me S.O. use it to haul a car home from western NE like he wanted he found a 1988 Jeep Comanche in rele decent condition but not running for $200 and wanted to haul it back home to the other side of the Missouri River but couldn't find a local uhaul carrier that wasn't 120 miles away, so Im glad I decided against it as a new tranny wouldn't have been fun.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
Well I just had a check engine light pop on today at only 2600 miles, glad I didnt let me S.O. use it to haul a car home from western NE like he wanted he found a 1988 Jeep Comanche in rele decent condition but not running for $200 and wanted to haul it back home to the other side of the Missouri River but couldn't find a local uhaul carrier that wasn't 120 miles away, so Im glad I decided against it as a new tranny wouldn't have been fun.
What code did it set and why do you feel that it would it lead to a failed transmission?

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
What code did it set and why do you feel that it would it lead to a failed transmission?
Idk the code I cant even get a service appointment.

The towing comment was directed to the post I replied to in which the posters tranny had similar shifting symptoms then said while towing his tranny overheated, puked coolant and died. A 500+ mile tow of a truck and car hauler just seems like it could have been very risky IMO since apparently the truck can't even do 3k without throwing a check engine.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
How much does the updated PCM program cost because I'm sick of this transmission?now it jerks when I put it in park. It's ridiculous how rough and erratic this transmission acts.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How much does the updated PCM program cost because I'm sick of this transmission?now it jerks when I put it in park. It's ridiculous how rough and erratic this transmission acts.
Hi Steve,

This needs to go back to the dealer. This transmission should be silky smooth and your problem indicates something internal is wrong. Hopefully correctable but if not...a replacement transmission would be in order. Does not sound like any forum members can fix it for you. Call Ford Customer Service and request a formal complaint form and number as the dealer can bill against this case number.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Hi Steve,

This needs to go back to the dealer. This transmission should be silky smooth and your problem indicates something internal is wrong. Hopefully correctable but if not...a replacement transmission would be in order. Does not sound like any forum members can fix it for you. Call Ford Customer Service and request a formal complaint form and number as the dealer can bill against this case number.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the response. I have ZERO faith in dealerships to deal with this problem in a satisfactory manner. I've had many negative experiences through the years and having to take my vehicle to a dealership gives me heart palpitations and headaches. That being said I made an appointment with the local dealer. Of course they "are really backed up" so it's not until the 30th. We'll see how things go. I fully expect them to blame my oversize tires for the issues.

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
My advice: Ask the service manager to drive with you. SHOW him the issue. Don't expect him to go find it. If the mgr says "they are all like this" ask to go drive a like unit. If you are unhappy with both, there is nothing to be done.

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
Oh I'm trying. I'm also frustrated that the problem isn't constant. You know how that goes when you go to a repair shop. Drove home today and everything was just fine.
Sponsored