Transmission hardshifting and not upshifting right.

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
So in the freeway my truck is fine, but during in town driving I get what feels like its always a gear below where it needs to be, can pick a gear, or gets a feeling almost like its engine breaking when I let off the gas but the transmission won't fully disengage or goto neutral.

At first I thought this was cause of sport mode, but even in D it does it and it almost feels worse.

The one dealer said it had no codes no no problems.

I love this truck its brand new2020 4x4 with around 600miles on it.

Anyone else have similar issues or have feedback on how to address these issues?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So in the freeway my truck is fine, but during in town driving I get what feels like its always a gear below where it needs to be, can pick a gear, or gets a feeling almost like its engine breaking when I let off the gas but the transmission won't fully disengage or goto neutral.

At first I thought this was cause of sport mode, but even in D it does it and it almost feels worse.

Anyone else have similar issues or have feedback on how to address these issues?
I would wait until 1000 miles to see if the adaptive "learning" on the transmission cures the problem. If it still feels that way after 1000 miles, I would take it in.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
I would wait until 1000 miles to see if the adaptive "learning" on the transmission cures the problem. If it still feels that way after 1000 miles, I would take it in.
Ok ill give it til 1000 1200 miles and if it keeps doing it imma have the dealer look at it. I know a 10 speed tranny from a normal 4sp od tranny takes some getting used too but the engine braking type feeling is extremely irritating, when I manually push the shifter to N then back it resolves the issue until i slow down for the next light and it feels like it gets hung up again or a solenoid doesn't want to disengage.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Ok ill give it til 1000 1200 miles and if it keeps doing it imma have the dealer look at it. I know a 10 speed tranny from a normal 4sp od tranny takes some getting used too but the engine braking type feeling is extremely irritating, when I manually push the shifter to N then back it resolves the issue until i slow down for the next light and it feels like it gets hung up again or a solenoid doesn't want to disengage.
Honestly, I think these 10 speeds are an engineering marvel. Best auto trans I've ever had in a vehicle, hands down. I hope yours clears itself up over the next couple hundred miles. The only issue I have with mine (which sounds relatively common) is on a cold start up (<40 degrees or so), when pulling out of the driveway, I get ONE rough shift - after that all the shifts are smooth as butter. When it is warmer I don't have that behavior at all.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
There is a good chance it is totally normal behavior from this transmission. The 10 speed auto doesn't work like any other trans most people are accustomed to. If you're driving around in Sport mode, when you let off the gas, it will engine brake to slow you down. It all takes some getting used to, and the transmission computer programming isn't perfect, so everyone will think they are feeling different things.

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith

This has happened to me before when I hit the trailer tow button accidentally while disabling the auto stall system. It engine brakes noticably when engaged and not towing anything.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
There is a good chance it is totally normal behavior from this transmission. The 10 speed auto doesn't work like any other trans most people are accustomed to. If you're driving around in Sport mode, when you let off the gas, it will engine brake to slow you down. It all takes some getting used to, and the transmission computer programming isn't perfect, so everyone will think they are feeling different things.

Yeah I am not in sport or havent been for the last 200 300 miles, but also my truck did 200 300 in sport and its only got 649 miles on it atm. So my assumption is the computer is still building and learning as it hasn't received enough consistent data to properly program. Im going to give it until 1000-1500 and if it still bugs the crap out of me and just doesnt feel right, to the dealer it goes.

Also I did have the tow issue once, but this is more subtle and rougher.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You are definitely going to have to drive it for a while. I think it took a few thousand miles just for my truck to learn the transmission. Better yet more for the truck and transmission to learn me. I would say around 2,500 miles it should be set. Only once have I had a weird glitch where wanted to go from 10th to 5th when barely touching the throttle. It was for like a mile and it never did it ever since. I can't remember if that was during the learning stage or not but there were no dtcs and the best guess was a computer glitch. After installing my new tune I have to relearn the transmission again but I've noticed already better drivability with it.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
You are definitely going to have to drive it for a while. I think it took a few thousand miles just for my truck to learn the transmission. Better yet more for the truck and transmission to learn me. I would say around 2,500 miles it should be set. Only once have I had a weird glitch where wanted to go from 10th to 5th when barely touching the throttle. It was for like a mile and it never did it ever since. I can't remember if that was during the learning stage or not but there were no dtcs and the best guess was a computer glitch. After installing my new tune I have to relearn the transmission again but I've noticed already better drivability with it.
Thanks, this is my first new car ever and my first one under 40k. So its a learning curve even my old IS300 wasn't as tech advanced and computer complicated.

I guess ill give it longer. How do I know if its in learning mode still or not? Also do tunes jeoprodize your factory warranty? Ive readball kinds of different stuff like ford and the sync3 modem automatically log when you change a tune. To as long as you reflash before going in for dealer work they would never know.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, this is my first new car ever and my first one under 40k. So its a learning curve even my old IS300 wasn't as tech advanced and computer complicated.

I guess ill give it longer. How do I know if its in learning mode still or not? Also do tunes jeoprodize your factory warranty? Ive readball kinds of different stuff like ford and the sync3 modem automatically log when you change a tune. To as long as you reflash before going in for dealer work they would never know.
When it comes to tuning technically a can void the powertrain warranty. The main thing to consider though is if something catastrophic happens to the engine or transmission then Ford will be curious and want to check for a tune. The biggest mistake most people make that have a town will be to take the tune off when the vehicle goes into the dealer. When they do that it shows that the vehicle was recently tuned/ put back to factory. When that happens that's when it's most likely figured a tune cost the problem. From what I've heard at my Ford dealership that I work at is the 2.3 turbo is a pretty darn Stout engine that has been around for a long time. What's the tune I decided to go with Livernois and I'm satisfied with it. Another big reason as to why I like the Livernois is it has Factory tools like clearing Cam and letting the transmission relearn itself again. I can't say for other tuners if they allow this but I do know that Ford performance goes through Livernois for the Pro Cal 4. Originally I was going to go with the four performance but because of the length of time it would take to get it I decided not to. I also spend $100 less to get to Livernois tune. If the dealership you have is extremely picky then you might want to hold off on a tune. If they are way more relaxed and not too uptight but a tune would be something to consider. The main reason I went with the team's because I have the lift by old man emu with bigger tires on it. I figured with bigger tires I might as well tune it I compensate for the power loss I get with bigger tires. So far I have gained the fuel mileage back that I lost and then some. Being up here in the Rockies makes things even more fun with that. Hope that helps

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also the transmission is technically always learning. A great example is old Grandma Moses has your old Buick that she's always babied because she doesn't know how to get the foot all the way to the floor lol. With that being said the transmission is usually soft because she's always had a very nice easy throttle. All of a sudden here comes here hot rod grandson borrowing the car for a day and launching it at every single red light. The following day Grandma Moses hops back in her car and it's shifting very hard for some reason and now takes it to her local dealership or transmission shop. That's where they inform her better Hotrod grandson has the learning to go haywire and now it has to relearn her.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Also the transmission is technically always learning. A great example is old Grandma Moses has your old Buick that she's always babied because she doesn't know how to get the foot all the way to the floor lol. With that being said the transmission is usually soft because she's always had a very nice easy throttle. All of a sudden here comes here hot rod grandson borrowing the car for a day and launching it at every single red light. The following day Grandma Moses hops back in her car and it's shifting very hard for some reason and now takes it to her local dealership or transmission shop. That's where they inform her better Hotrod grandson has the learning to go haywire and now it has to relearn her.

Interesting......

So on the tune end of things, when I bought my truck does that mean I am commited to that dealership for warranty and repair work for the life of my vehicles warranty? I bought my truck from a neighboring dealership group about 40 miles away cause well price. They are extremely picky so are their in town competitors here. But there is a smaller town Ford dealer 15 miles away that is much more laid back and straight forward, can I use them for my warranty and factory service work if I so please or am I stuck with whom I bought it from?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting......

So on the tune end of things, when I bought my truck does that mean I am commited to that dealership for warranty and repair work for the life of my vehicles warranty? I bought my truck from a neighboring dealership group about 40 miles away cause well price. They are extremely picky so are their in town competitors here. But there is a smaller town Ford dealer 15 miles away that is much more laid back and straight forward, can I use them for my warranty and factory service work if I so please or am I stuck with whom I bought it from?
Absolutely you can use any Ford dealership you choose. Let's say you're on a road trip taking you to California because you felt like going to California. All of a sudden you are having a problem with your Ford Ranger so you take it to a Ford dealership nearby in California. As long as it is within warranty it should be covered there. Now if you go out of country like Canada or Mexico the Ford dealers there do not have to except your warranty. It would be the same idea of someone from Mexico or Canada came here with their vehicle and we wouldn't have to accept their warranty. This is something that's normal with vehicle manufacturers.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also if you want to go to that more laid-back dealership take it there for service as well. If you take your vehicle there for service as well with warranty work there are more than willing to work with you more than someone who only brings a vehicle in for warranty work. Dealerships always like people who are willing to spend money.

Last edited:

newmantjn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer
The transmission has engine braking in all gears but 1st. You may be feeling DFSO,(decel fuel shutoff). The injectors get turned off on decel to save fuel. When you put it in Neutral, the injectors need to light off or you will get a stall. So, when you go to N, you are actually re-lighting the engine.
Sponsored