First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
I had to work this morning so I had access to my Ford Software. Your problem has a pretty detailed pinpoint test they should follow. The message that is flashed on the dash for when the trailer is connected goes through some pretty intricate strategies before it reaches the IPC. However, as long as the problem doesn't go intermittent (the bane of my existence), it should be relatively easy to figure out. Did you drop off a trailer with the truck for them to test with?

CaretDown.jpg
PINPOINT TEST BC: A TRAILER CONNECTED STATUS MESSAGE IS NOT DISPLAYED WHEN A TRAILER IS CONNECTED
Normal Operation and Fault Conditions
See Trailer Connected/Disconnected And Trailer Lighting Status. REFER to: Message Center (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes) .
Possible Sources
  • Trailer lighting concern
  • TRM concern
  • GWM concern
  • IPC
BC1 CHECK THE MESSAGE CENTER OPERATION
  • Ignition ON.
  • Close all doors and the hood.
  • Clear all message center warnings by pressing the OK button for each warning present.
  • Monitor the door ajar RTT indicator.
  • Open the driver door.
  • Clear the message center warning.
Is the door ajar RTT indicator off with the door closed, and on with the door open?

Yes
GO to BC2
BC2 PERFORM THE TRM (TRAILER MODULE) SELF-TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the TRM self-test.
Are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) recorded?

Yes

REFER to: Trailer Lamps (417-01 Exterior Lighting) .​
No
GO to BC3
BC3 PERFORM THE IPC (INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER) SELF-TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the IPC self-test.

Yes
REFER to DTC Chart: IPC in this section.​
No
GO to BC4
BC4 CHECK THE GWM (GATEWAY MODULE A) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the GWM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs).

Yes

REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).​
No
INSTALL a new IPC. Refer to the appropriate Removal and Installation procedure in Section 413-01.​

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
I had to work this morning so I had access to my Ford Software. Your problem has a pretty detailed pinpoint test they should follow. The message that is flashed on the dash for when the trailer is connected goes through some pretty intricate strategies before it reaches the IPC. However, as long as the problem doesn't go intermittent (the bane of my existence), it should be relatively easy to figure out. Did you drop off a trailer with the truck for them to test with?

CaretDown.jpg
PINPOINT TEST BC: A TRAILER CONNECTED STATUS MESSAGE IS NOT DISPLAYED WHEN A TRAILER IS CONNECTED
Normal Operation and Fault Conditions
See Trailer Connected/Disconnected And Trailer Lighting Status. REFER to: Message Center (413-01 Instrumentation, Message Center and Warning Chimes) .
Possible Sources
  • Trailer lighting concern
  • TRM concern
  • GWM concern
  • IPC
BC1 CHECK THE MESSAGE CENTER OPERATION
  • Ignition ON.
  • Close all doors and the hood.
  • Clear all message center warnings by pressing the OK button for each warning present.
  • Open the driver door.
  • Clear the message center warning.
Is the door ajar RTT indicator off with the door closed, and on with the door open?

Yes
GO to BC2
BC2 PERFORM THE TRM (TRAILER MODULE) SELF-TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the TRM self-test.

Yes

REFER to: Trailer Lamps (417-01 Exterior Lighting) .​
No
GO to BC3
BC3 PERFORM THE IPC (INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER) SELF-TEST
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, perform the IPC self-test.

Yes
REFER to DTC Chart: IPC in this section.​
No
GO to BC4
BC4 CHECK THE GWM (GATEWAY MODULE A) DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS)
  • Using a diagnostic scan tool, check the GWM Continuous Memory Diagnostic Trouble Codes (CMDTCs).

Yes

REFER to: Communications Network (418-00 Module Communications Network, Diagnosis and Testing).​
No
INSTALL a new IPC. Refer to the appropriate Removal and Installation procedure in Section 413-01.​
i didnt, they didnt have a way to even confirm its function which i didnt really like. basically got the truck back with “we think it works” ha. i mean, it happens, but im surprised they dont have a way to confirm it.
now i have to go back again

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
so they got it fixed, the trailer module was blown. how i dont know, shop forman is going to explain it to me.
also got new tires too, and forwent doing a warranty on the terra grapplers. got dynapro at2 xtreme.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Wow! Blown trailer module. I will have to store that info away for future reference. Mine makes a weird noise when in the acc pksition. So.....ill keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the info
Sponsored