First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
So as far as I've been able to find this is a new one. I've been having an issue in snow/ icey weather where when I brake the truck gives a trailer disconnected indicator. When I let off the brake and coast, nothing changes, and when I apply gas and accelerate, the truck displays a trailer connected and acts as though a trailer is attached.

I have looked at the 4 pin connector and cleaned and applied dielectric gel making sure the cap is on all the way. This has not alleviated the issue.

Additionally, the issue only comes up when there is ice and snow on the road, so i suspect there is a wire short somewhere where water/ice and snow can access the wiring.

Other then the system thinking i have a trailer with no working lights it has no effect on the functionality of my truck lights other then giving me the fault warning on the turn signals when it thinks a trailer is connected.

I am scheduled to get this looked at under warranty next week, but wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with anything like this. Super strange.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There are a number of connectors under the truck that could be loose. Hopefully the dealer can identify the problem.

OP
OP
RCNGunnr

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
So results from getting it into the shop today. It was indeed loose connectors under the truck. The technician indicated that it apparently is a fairly common occurrence with f150 wire harnesses installed at the factory, although I was the first ranger they'd had.

Update: Issue reoccurred sporadically on Monday, tech were unable to determine a cause, persistently today (Wednesday) techs have gone through and done the checks and maintenance as determined by the "hotline". Got about 20 min down the road and it came back in full force. Pulled into the local Canadian Tire for some washer fluid and when the truck restarted the issue had cleared again. Dealership is going back to ford for follow on direction. This will be extending into next week now. the local technicians are contemplating just rewiring/replacing everything that could be involved. Glad this is a nuisance issue, but it sure is an annoying one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCNGunnr

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Left the truck with the dealership today, they got told by ford to just start going point by point up the system, we shall see what this brings up. Basic translation from the technician was ford is out of specific ideas so we are being told to just giver 'er.

Brett Klahr

First Name
MtnRanger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have repeatedly had this issue. Blowout and remove any moisture in the 4 pin trailer connector. Then cover the pins with as much dialectric grease possible. I had to do this again today. I suggest filling the cover of the connector with grease as well. This has worked for me every time.

OP
OP
RCNGunnr

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
I have repeatedly had this issue. Blowout and remove any moisture in the 4 pin trailer connector. Then cover the pins with as much dialectric grease possible. I had to do this again today. I suggest filling the cover of the connector with grease as well. This has worked for me every time.
unfortunately that was the first thing ruled out before I even took it to the dealership. They are ordering a full new set of connectors, as when they looked again today they found moisture in multiple connectors in the line. unfortunately they are out in the Maritimes so they have to order from Ontario, likely be in Friday.

25 Feb Update: They completed the replacmeent of the assembly in the back of the truck, hopefully this has solved the issue in its entirety, it was a full work day of changing out wiring and splicing in the new wiring.

2 Mar Update: Multiple Snow storms since the fix was implemented, no reoccurence. Seems to have recitified the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: