Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
What is an "emergency braking event"? Seriously

So the red arc, which looks similar and a 100 times easier to install won't stop my trailer?
Sponsored

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
What is an "emergency braking event"? Seriously

So the red arc, which looks similar and a 100 times easier to install won't stop my trailer?
It's when the truck senses it needs to stop - pre collision - and applies the brakes without driver input...

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Thanks, really wasn't sure.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, really wasn't sure.
No worries.

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference though - if the truck applies the brakes chances are the driver is going to slam the brakes so we're talking a second of reaction time?

I'm sure emergency braking of the trailer and truck together gives a more optimal out come...

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Honestly for the price and pain in the ass fact, I'll buy the red arc.
My chance of trailer pulling are slim. But, this is something ford should have put on a truck that comes with a "tow package."

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly for the price and pain in the ass fact, I'll buy the red arc.
My chance of trailer pulling are slim. But, this is something ford should have put on a truck that comes with a "tow package."
Yeah.

I'm pretty disappointed that it doesn't come with a brake controller. For shits sake it is literally called a Towing package.

LowKeyTremor

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Business Owner/Partner & IT
I was pretty dang disappointed it didnā€™t come with an electric trailer brake controller!

I went ahead and bought it (Redarc Eliteā€¦ the one Ford points to) and installed it myself. It just seemed too silly to have the tow package but no brake controller. If I were to get anywhere near the 7500 pound limit, I donā€™t want a trailer pushing me!

RE: INSTALL:
If youā€™re used to removing panels w/ clips used as the securing method, then itā€™s easy, but just tedious since youā€™re doing all the way to the third brake light. Itā€™s certainly not complicated, as everything comes together with clips, except two wires:
  • One that is blue (if memory serves me well)
    • You can trace it to the rear bumper 7 prong plug, and is specific to the EBC.
    • You can just find it hanging under the dash
  • The other wire is just a ground
RE:
The controller itself is decent enoin my opinion. I do like that when you Plug the trailer in with EBC, the controller flashes, initiating you to either put it in automatic mode or set the gain manually.
On the other hand, it would be nice if it had a small screen read out because you have to just rely on the color and whether itā€™s flashing to know which mode youā€™re in/if you need to set the mode.

With the various grades, I found myself adjusting the gain in single increments a few times. I am very curious how the automatic gain control performs when adjusting automatically.

Lastly:
I was towing back-and-forth from Truckee (Lake Tahoe, past the Donner Summit) to the Northern Valley and was very happy with the towing performance of the truck. Only have a CAI, and just go with 89 octane. I cannot wait until I pull the trigger and do full exhaust, maybe intercooler pipes, and certainly a tune. Looking forward to having everything together and I can already tell itā€™s going to tear up the hill with the upgrades and running a tow tune.

Just my two cents.

-Kyle

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I was pretty dang disappointed it didnā€™t come with an electric trailer brake controller!

I went ahead and bought it (Redarc Eliteā€¦ the one Ford points to) and installed it myself. It just seemed too silly to have the tow package but no brake controller. If I were to get anywhere near the 7500 pound limit, I donā€™t want a trailer pushing me!

RE: INSTALL:
If youā€™re used to removing panels w/ clips used as the securing method, then itā€™s easy, but just tedious since youā€™re doing all the way to the third brake light. Itā€™s certainly not complicated, as everything comes together with clips, except two wires:
  • One that is blue (if memory serves me well)
    • You can trace it to the rear bumper 7 prong plug, and is specific to the EBC.
    • You can just find it hanging under the dash
  • The other wire is just a ground yellow or yellow/orange for +12V from under hood fuse block (F64 30A).
RE:
The controller itself is decent enoin my opinion. I do like that when you Plug the trailer in with EBC, the controller flashes, initiating you to either put it in automatic mode or set the gain manually.
On the other hand, it would be nice if it had a small screen read out because you have to just rely on the color and whether itā€™s flashing to know which mode youā€™re in/if you need to set the mode.

With the various grades, I found myself adjusting the gain in single increments a few times. I am very curious how the automatic gain control performs when adjusting automatically.

Lastly:
I was towing back-and-forth from Truckee (Lake Tahoe, past the Donner Summit) to the Northern Valley and was very happy with the towing performance of the truck. Only have a CAI, and just go with 89 octane. I cannot wait until I pull the trigger and do full exhaust, maybe intercooler pipes, and certainly a tune. Looking forward to having everything together and I can already tell itā€™s going to tear up the hill with the upgrades and running a tow tune.

Just my two cents.

-Kyle
I fixed that for you. The brake controller regulates that +12V from one wire to the brake control wire on the 7-pin.

LowKeyTremor

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Business Owner/Partner & IT
Lol thanks!!! I hate giving out bad infoā€¦ Iā€™m serious, thank you very much! šŸ˜šŸ‘
I did take pictures, and there it isā€¦ The one I missed!

But donā€™t forget there was the ground lol

IMG_1652.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: