Trail Control and Weird Noise

rangerdrive

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yesterday, on a paved road with a moderate decline, I attempted using trail control for the first time. Any time it engaged (after releasing the brake) it made a strange, grinding sound that seemed to come from the front driver's side wheel area. Has anyone else noticed a sound like this? Any thoughts on what it might be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
rangerdrive

rangerdrive

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

Deleted member 1634

i would think it's the braking system doing its thing to keep you slow.
did it sound like anti lock brakes?

I have yet to try mine in the real world. but i know I had no noises when i did what little playing i did.
That was my first thought as well, a sensor error for that wheel. Maybe the ABS sensor isn't liking what is happening at that wheel, or your speed and terrain combo is making it be constantly doing things to maintain your speed.

I tried mine once on a relatively smooth dirt road. Did what I expected it to do. No noise on mine, or at least none I noticed with the radio on and the windows down. Probably won't ever use it, but it's a cool feature.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Slow. I think I had it set at 7 mph at first but it did it when I set it to 2 mph as well.
Yes it normal it's just the ABS pumps working. That's the only part of the owners manual I read right before we headed up to Sedona and I knew I was going to be using this and wanted to read up on it. It does say it in the manual that you will hear the ABS pumps while in that mode. Good thing because it does sound like you're grinding rocks in your rotors. lol

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That's annoying. You'd better take your vehicle to the maintenance store for better checking on the braking system.

It's the ABS pumps automatically controlling the brakes, Who says "maintenance store" are you an AI from another planet?

EDIT: I'm in a pissy mood today, and not paying attention to my spelling See below...

:)
Sponsored

Last edited: