Trading in my XLT after one month for an FX4?

SantiMane92

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
whatsup everyone,
This is my first time posting but I have been creeping on here for several months. Im looking for some advice that I should have asked for previously. Long story short I bought an XLT sports package 2wd on february 15th. I got a good deal on it and though the MSRP was about 33,500 I got it out the door for 28,500. I did put 8k down. However, I really got screwed with the financing, somehow the guy talked me into a 75 month loan at 4.99 percent. I already started looking into refinancing and looks like I can get 3.00 and go for 60 months with larger payments I know I can afford. My credit score was 760 when I bought this truck.
However....

This was my first truck, and after having it for about a month I love it, but now after getting a taste of the truck life I want a truck with more off road capabilities. Since this whole CoVid disaster is taking place I saw there are great offers right now on a Ford ad, so i started looking online again. I found an XLT FX4 with towing, and running boards which I wanted to add to my truck, locally for an incredible $10,400 off MSRP at 29371 (https://www.jarrettgordonfordwinter...d-Ranger-7df9d8070a0e0ae847bd028f5f446015.htm).

It looks like I can get $25,500 for trading my current trade truck in which means I would lose $3k. However, right now ford has the 84 months no interest which means I would save about $3k in interest during the life of loan at the current interest rate.

Sorry for the long post, but What Do you guys think? should I pull the trigger on the truck I think I will be happier with in the long run? thanks for your advice
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I would say if offroading is in your interests, its a pretty good time to make the trade. no sense in waiting longer and just losing more value from your current truck.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
If that is the true MSRP that dealer is working off from and not a "phoney monroeny" , then yes, it looks attractive, provided they do give you 25.5K for your 4x2.

I don't know your financial situation, but 7 years, even @ 0% financing is a long time to be paying for a vehicle, especially when you factor in depreciation.

Be sure to read the fine print this time around, take someone else with you to read it as well.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
How often will you use a 4x4 in Florida?

Last edited:

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Quite often if one chooses:
  • Ocala National Forest—If you’re looking to experience nature rather than being a speed demon, this trail is the one for you. You’ll be asked to maintain low speeds while enjoying the view.
  • Revolution Off Road Adventures—You’ll have multiple adventure options, including a 200-acre ATV trail, an ATV skill test, and an 8-wheel amphibious vehicle you can drive through lakes and ponds.
  • Big Cypress National Preserve—See areas of the nature preserve not accessible by foot on this extensive trail system. You’ll need appropriate permits and to follow the rules set by the preserve.
  • Withlacoochee State Forest—With 2,600 acres of trails, the Croom Motorcycle Area is open to off-road vehicle owners. There is also a training area and a section designated for younger riders.
  • Lazy Springs Recreation Park—Lazy Springs is made for “down and dirty family fun.” In addition to trails for off-roading, there’s also a muddy zip-line, lake swings, slides, and more.
  • Ultimate UTV Adventure by Land and Water—Orlando isn’t just for theme parks. This adventure lets you explore Florida’s backcountry on an amphibious vehicle that can traverse both water and land.
  • Devil’s Garden Mud Club—Located in Clewiston, Florida, this park has more than 1,200 acres of activities, including mud holes, a mud sand track, a Jeep obstacle course, and miles of trails.
Tri-State Off-Road Park – This off-road park is located off Highway 20 in Clarksville, Fl. It offers Deep Mud Bog Holes and a Consistency Park. Admission is $10 for adults and children 12 and under are free. The park opens at 10 a.m. and closes at dusk.

Triple Canopy Ranch – Triple Canopy Ranch is located at 16950 County Road 630 Lake Wales, Fl. The park has over 425 acres of trails, pits, circle track, obstacle course and a side by sidetrack. You can also camp at the park and get the most out of your visit, and if your Jeep should experience any trouble there is also an on-site vendor available for all of your repair needs.

Hard Rock Off-Road Park – This park is located in Ocala, Fl. and boasts a section devoted to Jeeps and other off-road vehicles. The park is open seven days a week from 10 am – 5 pm. Cost is $25 per day per vehicle. Camping is also available for $20 per day with water and electrical hook-ups. There are also hotels located nearby for those who would prefer not to camp onsite.

Revolution The Off-Road Experience – Is located at 4000 State Road 33 Clermont, FL 34714. It features 220 acres of great trails and attractions and even includes a private 65-acre Trophy Bass fishing lake. Guided tours will take everyone from beginners to experienced drivers through trails. This park has a lot to offer and even if you’re not into off-roading you can always enjoy the great fishing available. Reservations are required to ensure that everyone has a great experience.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
You might even sell it here. Go ahead, put it in WTS

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
whatsup everyone,
This is my first time posting but I have been creeping on here for several months. Im looking for some advice that I should have asked for previously. Long story short I bought an XLT sports package 2wd on february 15th. I got a good deal on it and though the MSRP was about 33,500 I got it out the door for 28,500. I did put 8k down. However, I really got screwed with the financing, somehow the guy talked me into a 75 month loan at 4.99 percent. I already started looking into refinancing and looks like I can get 3.00 and go for 60 months with larger payments I know I can afford. My credit score was 760 when I bought this truck.
However....

This was my first truck, and after having it for about a month I love it, but now after getting a taste of the truck life I want a truck with more off road capabilities. Since this whole CoVid disaster is taking place I saw there are great offers right now on a Ford ad, so i started looking online again. I found an XLT FX4 with towing, and running boards which I wanted to add to my truck, locally for an incredible $10,400 off MSRP at 29371 (https://www.jarrettgordonfordwinter...d-Ranger-7df9d8070a0e0ae847bd028f5f446015.htm).

It looks like I can get $25,500 for trading my current trade truck in which means I would lose $3k. However, right now ford has the 84 months no interest which means I would save about $3k in interest during the life of loan at the current interest rate.

Sorry for the long post, but What Do you guys think? should I pull the trigger on the truck I think I will be happier with in the long run? thanks for your advice
I'd love to be wrong about this, but I really don't think you're likely to qualify for the full $10,400 off, especially if you're going to be getting a special finance offer.

My advice: Go in to talk to the dealer and get a firm offer, including valuation of your trade. Then go home and sleep on it, figuring out if the cost is worth it to you.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Mark down on the new truck you are looking it is from the present incentives going on. You can't get the incentives and the 0% @ 84 months combined, it's one or the other. You can get the incentives and 0% @ 60 months.

I know, I just purchased a new XLT similarly marked down as the one you mentioned.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Quite often if one chooses:
  • Ocala National Forest—If you’re looking to experience nature rather than being a speed demon, this trail is the one for you. You’ll be asked to maintain low speeds while enjoying the view.
  • Revolution Off Road Adventures—You’ll have multiple adventure options, including a 200-acre ATV trail, an ATV skill test, and an 8-wheel amphibious vehicle you can drive through lakes and ponds.
  • Big Cypress National Preserve—See areas of the nature preserve not accessible by foot on this extensive trail system. You’ll need appropriate permits and to follow the rules set by the preserve.
  • Withlacoochee State Forest—With 2,600 acres of trails, the Croom Motorcycle Area is open to off-road vehicle owners. There is also a training area and a section designated for younger riders.
  • Lazy Springs Recreation Park—Lazy Springs is made for “down and dirty family fun.” In addition to trails for off-roading, there’s also a muddy zip-line, lake swings, slides, and more.
  • Ultimate UTV Adventure by Land and Water—Orlando isn’t just for theme parks. This adventure lets you explore Florida’s backcountry on an amphibious vehicle that can traverse both water and land.
  • Devil’s Garden Mud Club—Located in Clewiston, Florida, this park has more than 1,200 acres of activities, including mud holes, a mud sand track, a Jeep obstacle course, and miles of trails.
Tri-State Off-Road Park – This off-road park is located off Highway 20 in Clarksville, Fl. It offers Deep Mud Bog Holes and a Consistency Park. Admission is $10 for adults and children 12 and under are free. The park opens at 10 a.m. and closes at dusk.

Triple Canopy Ranch – Triple Canopy Ranch is located at 16950 County Road 630 Lake Wales, Fl. The park has over 425 acres of trails, pits, circle track, obstacle course and a side by sidetrack. You can also camp at the park and get the most out of your visit, and if your Jeep should experience any trouble there is also an on-site vendor available for all of your repair needs.

Hard Rock Off-Road Park – This park is located in Ocala, Fl. and boasts a section devoted to Jeeps and other off-road vehicles. The park is open seven days a week from 10 am – 5 pm. Cost is $25 per day per vehicle. Camping is also available for $20 per day with water and electrical hook-ups. There are also hotels located nearby for those who would prefer not to camp onsite.

Revolution The Off-Road Experience – Is located at 4000 State Road 33 Clermont, FL 34714. It features 220 acres of great trails and attractions and even includes a private 65-acre Trophy Bass fishing lake. Guided tours will take everyone from beginners to experienced drivers through trails. This park has a lot to offer and even if you’re not into off-roading you can always enjoy the great fishing available. Reservations are required to ensure that everyone has a great experience.
Dang! What a wealth of information you are!!! Thanks for sharing! :like:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
It looks like I can get $25,500 for trading my current trade truck in
Is this the number the dealer gave you or is it something KBB gave you? Trade is is where dealers make all their money and I would almost be shocked if you got $25K for that truck. $20K maybe.

But if you actually get $25K, I'd say go for it. You're doing well, not losing hardly anything and getting the truck you want.

Acatron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Sales
I think they have 1.9% @ 72 as well.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had a similar buyers remorse when I got my XLT last year when they had their end of year incentives. I was looking at trading in my 4x4 for a FX4 a few weeks after I bought it. I don't remember the exact details, but I calculated it would end up costing me about $5000 ignoring interest to trade it. I mainly wanted the rear locker, but honestly didn't think it was worth that much.

My mindset was it was at least worth looking into, otherwise I would have always wondered if I could've made the swap. Realistically it is very unlikely going to be a good financial decision. If you're sure that you will keep the truck for a really long time, it could still be worthwhile. For me, I'd rather save the money and trade in down the road if I decide I do need the FX4.

OP
OP
SantiMane92

SantiMane92

First Name
Santi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going in and talking to the dealer. As you guys mentioned you cant combine the incentives with the 0% APR, so I would have had to give up $4k in incentives to get the 0% APR. Furthermore, though the KBB value on a trade in for the truck is $25.5k, they looked at how much I had bought it for and only offered me $22k, and were willing to go up to 23k at the end. I ended up not going through with the deal because I considered that losing $6.5k on a truck i bought last month was too much. What I did end up doing was refinancing through USAA at 3% APR for 60 months, so now I will pay off my truck sooner, and maybe upgrade to the new gen in 5 years when I do. Interestingly, when I was talking to USAA about refinancing they calculated the value of the truck to be $31k.
My plan now for fulfilling my recreational Off-Road desires is to buy a side by side or maybe an early 2000's 4x4 Ranger. From some light research I think I can get that done for around 8k. Also, I think that may work out better for me in the long run because I wont beat up my daily driver with off road use, and I can just keep my Ranger really well taken care of.

Last edited:

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
The side by side is a good plan, less chance you tear up your 35k dollar truck. The side by side is not cheap, but it's made for off roading. The truck for off roading is going to cost you.... you'll want at least a leveling kit for the bigger tires. hmm need a winch, gotta change the bumper for that etc etc. That's just my experience, but at the end I think you made the right deal.

I'd gotten frustrated finding a Ranger and had looked at the Canyon ZR2, really liked the truck looked great.... hate chevy interiors though, but it was just more than I wanted to pay. After I'd had my used Ranger a couple of weeks the dealer called me with great new incentives and a damn good price, but even though i'd bought my Ranger used it was just too much of hickey to make the deal.
Sponsored