Toyota has 3 of 6 on most disappointing list which Includes Tacoma, Ford fails to place

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Makes sense.

Toyota has focused on making an appliance. A to B, styled to their liking, and nicely appointed. Nothing they make really screams "this could be fun," with the exception of the GT86 and the Supra. And both of those are basically rebadges of other manufacturers.

I demand some aspect of fun in my vehicles. And I'm not hard to please. I can have fun in my milktruck. I can't see myself ever driving a Toyota, or a Nissan for that matter, unless they change things drastically.

Although, that GR Corrola could sway me if they did it right.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
<snip>
I demand some aspect of fun in my vehicles. And I'm not hard to please. I can have fun in my milktruck. <snip>
I like your attitude!. I'm the same way.
Ever see the guy flipping quarters with a forklift?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Finally an HONEST article! So much for the days the Tacoma could hide behind it's popular name. Sure it's still outselling all the other mid size trucks (for now) but they'd better hope they have a really good refresh in the next Gen. especially if Ford can build enough of the new Rangers without all the constraints holding them back.

The powertrain makes as much noise as it does horsepower, a fact exacerbated by a transmission that downshifts at the mere suggestion of an incline, the ride both feels too stiff and too wallowy, and the interior that was merely acceptable when the truck was last redesigned for the 2016 model year is now simply worst-in-class.

Perhaps most irritating of all, though, is the Tacoma's ridiculous seating position. The bottom of the front seats are mounted so low to the floor that my legs are splayed out forward at an uncomfortable angle. Despite that glaring problem, my head is still uncomfortably close to the ceiling. All of this leads to an awkward driving position that simply cannot be rectified no matter how I adjust the seat or steering wheel. It's terrible.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I like your attitude!. I'm the same way.
Ever see the guy flipping quarters with a forklift?
I can and have done that with Dimes even. I can run circles around most forklift drivers. :rockon:

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I think my 2019 Ranger will be my last new vehicle. Im not into infotainment, there is nothing my phone cant do better. I dont want a giant ipad in my dash. I was a huge car guy, went to the auto show every year, went to auto school, but the stuff they are spitting out now has made me lose all my passion for new cars.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think my 2019 Ranger will be my last new vehicle. Im not into infotainment, there is nothing my phone cant do better. I dont want a giant ipad in my dash. I was a huge car guy, went to the auto show every year, went to auto school, but the stuff they are spitting out now has made me lose all my passion for new cars.
I'll admit I'm a sucker for some of this new tech. While I don't like the huge iPad looking center screen, I do love the 12" screen like the Bronco has. I'm really looking forward to the new Ranger especially the Raptor. It just amazes me at times thinking back to my first car, a 1970 Dodge Challenger and what it came with (not much lol) and now looking at all the crazy stuff we have in todays vehicles.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'll admit I'm a sucker for some of this new tech. While I don't like the huge iPad looking center screen, I do love the 12" screen like the Bronco has. I'm really looking forward to the new Ranger especially the Raptor. It just amazes me at times thinking back to my first car, a 1970 Dodge Challenger and what it came with (not much lol) and now looking at all the crazy stuff we have in todays vehicles.
Yes the tech “perks” can be fun until you’re out of warranty and the stuff starts breaking. Then you find out what it’s going to cost to get it fixed.

My old Ranger was a stripped XL with crank windows and a 60/40 bench seat. It did it’s job and I could do everything it needed fixing wise to keep it road worthy for 23 years. The one I’m in now costs more than double new of the old one!

So many things going on now that without electronics driving it properly you got a safe mode brick. Don’t get me wrong, the fun factor is off the charts and, yes, you only live once. Roll the dice!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes the tech “perks” can be fun until you’re out of warranty and the stuff starts breaking. Then you find out what it’s going to cost to get it fixed.

My old Ranger was a stripped XL with crank windows and a 60/40 bench seat. It did it’s job and I could do everything it needed fixing wise to keep it road worthy for 23 years. The one I’m in now costs more than double new of the old one!

So many things going on now that without electronics driving it properly you got a safe mode brick. Don’t get me wrong, the fun factor is off the charts and, yes, you only live once. Roll the dice!
It's almost like they make you buy an extended warranty now knowing all this stuff could go wrong.

Speaking of costs. My buddy was telling me he ordered a stripped down XL F150 for his maple sugar deliveries. it's $42K and has no options and a cloth bench seat and column shifter. Crazy how expensive things have got. He has a new Bronco which is garaged for the winter and his wife is using his '22 loaded F150 and he's now driving this beat up old farm truck making deliveries to Big Y and other stores. lol

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's almost like they make you buy an extended warranty now knowing all this stuff could go wrong.

Speaking of costs. My buddy was telling me he ordered a stripped down XL F150 for his maple sugar deliveries. it's $42K and has no options and a cloth bench seat and column shifter. Crazy how expensive things have got. He has a new Bronco which is garaged for the winter and his wife is using his '22 loaded F150 and he's now driving this beat up old farm truck making deliveries to Big Y and other stores. lol
I left out previously the sky-rocking prices of vehicles and especially trucks being a huge turn off. I honestly just wanted a simple true 4x4, If there was one with crank windows i would have considered it.

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Im highjacking this thread now I know, but its all related.

The side by side industry saw a gap, most people are not fabricators and cant afford $100k sand rails. Look what happened. In a lot of states you can even street legal them. I dont see why the same thing cant be done with a 4x4. Make a super simple, most state street legal, capable, and affordable off road vehicle. I really think there is a market for it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Im highjacking this thread now I know, but its all related.

The side by side industry saw a gap, most people are not fabricators and cant afford $100k sand rails. Look what happened. In a lot of states you can even street legal them. I dont see why the same thing cant be done with a 4x4. Make a super simple, most state street legal, capable, and affordable off road vehicle. I really think there is a market for it.
I think you're right there's definitely a market for it but how large is it? Because for any manufacturer to market this it has to be profitable for them to do so. Plus with all the shortages today they'd be taking certain parts for a truck that's not high profit margins from one that is.

I'd be all for it and it would be fun building it yourself to your own needs like tires, lifts and wheels etc. Kind of like what we do now just not at a $45K starting point but something in the mid to upper $20's would be great.

Here you can register and drive side by sides on the streets. My neighbor had one and it was only $400 for tags, reg and insurance. I see Tham all the time going to the store and parked out in front of restaurants especially now that all the snowbirds are back here.

OP
OP
dtech

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
A majority on here had the Tacoma figured out some yrs back (we are brilliant) , but what I find almost as interesting is the review on the Sequoia - redesigned this year after 15 yrs, they really lambaste the solid rear axle - as did another review I've seen, then with the new Tundra Toyota did just the opposite replacing the solid rear axle with independent. And yes nice to see the authors didn't pull any punches.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
The quest for efficiency (enforced on pain of bankruptcy) is driving this. All the electronics are an effort to meet ever-increasing emissions and fuel efficiency mandates. They will not stop until we elect a different class of politician. Less political, and more practical.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Just rented one in OKC a week ago. And was amazed of how much quality they kaizened out of it. The ride was horrible, engine was powerful but made lots of noise making that power, exhaust droned in the cab, seating position was just not normal, interior was what Kia used to produce in the early days….crap. Only bright spot was the power rear sliding window. My wife, who's is a big Toyota fan was very unimpressed and may be leaning towards a Bronco one day ??. She is a Mork & Mindy fan and she kinda looks like the latter. So I humor her on how good she would look in a red Sasquatch Bronco with 36’s!! ??
Sponsored

Last edited: