First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I do like TFL IDK about towing over the max at 70 mph, that isn't the smartest especially for that distance. The saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind with this one. Also running 87 when they (Ford) recommend premium for towing wasn't the smartest move either but I guess it makes for a good video and clicks on their channel. BTW they towed the Bronco only 24 miles where this was over 300. lol

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
While I do like TFL IDK about towing over the max at 70 mph, that isn't the smartest especially for that distance. The saying "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind with this one. Also running 87 when they (Ford) recommend premium for towing wasn't the smartest move either but I guess it makes for a good video and clicks on their channel. BTW they towed the Bronco only 24 miles where this was over 300. lol
Towing speed depends on the road and traffic IMO, but yeah 70 is probably a bit much even in "perfect" conditions. 60s more than enough.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Towing speed depends on the road and traffic IMO, but yeah 70 is probably a bit much even in "perfect" conditions. 60s more than enough.
I agree. But you know there are many out there watching this thinking they can go this fast or faster because TFL did it. It goes back to that common sense thing many don't have now. lol

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I agree. But you know there are many out there watching this thinking they can go this fast or faster because TFL did it. It goes back to that common sense thing many don't have now. lol

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Manliness only increases with overloading. Going faster than needed only increases your risk of mortality ? and everyone elses.

Don't be dumb.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Some things Andrei says sometimes seem like...I dunno...like "this truck is rated at 24 mpg highway and we've never seen it"....dude, I got over 26 mpg more than once on long trips. But get this, with cold, dense air at altitude and flying down the highway at 75 mph, don't expect to match EPA numbers, especially when towing 1000 lbs over GCWR. Whatever I can get over the EPA rating I consider a plus, but if you want good gas mileage, get a prius!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Some things Andrei says sometimes seem like...I dunno...like "this truck is rated at 24 mpg highway and we've never seen it"....dude, I got over 26 mpg more than once on long trips. But get this, with cold, dense air at altitude and flying down the highway at 75 mph, don't expect to match EPA numbers, especially when towing 1000 lbs over GCWR. Whatever I can get over the EPA rating I consider a plus, but if you want good gas mileage, get a prius!
I have too and I was going at or over 75 mph for most of it. It was 90% highway and there were a few good mountain passes we went over to but the key is throttle control and not laying your foot into the gas. I've never bought a truck expecting good gas mileage it's just a bonus when I do get it. lol

1675610995621.jpeg

1675611018034.jpeg

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Yes I remember that from your trip last summer, Dave. The same goes with me; as long as I don't mash on the skinny one at every stop light, I get good results, and I, like you am running 32" tires (no lift tho). I have read several others in this forum who had managed over 24 mpg, so definitely not a fluke

OP
OP
ATGC

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
For the record, I aslo do not endorse towing that fast and way over weight... But it is very interesting and reassuring to know the Ranger can do it in a pinch.
I tow my 4,000lbs camper at 65mph on CO and WY interstates with 85 speed limit. I rarely reach 70, typically only if needed to pass a slower vehicle. I like keeping the speed under control for greater stability, fuel efficiency, and to reduce stress on the vehicle and driver.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For the record, I aslo do not endorse towing that fast and way over weight... But it is very interesting and reassuring to know the Ranger can do it in a pinch.
I tow my 4,000lbs camper at 65mph on CO and WY interstates with 85 speed limit. I rarely reach 70, typically only if needed to pass a slower vehicle. I like keeping the speed under control for greater stability, fuel efficiency, and to reduce stress on the vehicle and driver.
I wasn't implying you did in my previous post. I just think to many watch videos like this and "think" they can do it too. It is nice to see the Ranger be able to do this but I wouldn't be doing this all the time with a heavy travel trailer. There's some good videos on YouTube showing what happens to those when you do. lol

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The ONLY people getting mid 20s in these trucks are flatlanders.

I've been on road trips with my truck not hauling anything, accelerating like grampa, 55-60mph for its entirety and the highest I've seen is 21mpg.

OP
OP
ATGC

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I wasn't implying you did in my previous post. I just think to many watch videos like this and "think" they can do it too. It is nice to see the Ranger be able to do this but I wouldn't be doing this all the time with a heavy travel trailer. There's some good videos on YouTube showing what happens to those when you do. lol
I know you were not implying anything negative or personal about me, and I appreciate the important safety point you are making. Thanks.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The ONLY people getting mid 20s in these trucks are flatlanders.

I've been on road trips with my truck not hauling anything, accelerating like grampa, 55-60mph for its entirety and the highest I've seen is 21mpg.
It its crazy how some can get good mileage where others don't. But everyone drives differently and on different terrain so it's impossible to get accurate results. I know I was surprised when I got those numbers posted above. We had left my house here in AZ and headed to Durango, CO and the ride up to Flagstaff is mostly uphill then east through a few passes to Durango. Even going from Durango, CO to Custer, SD I still averaged mid 23 going over some pretty big mountain passes. Crazy since I'm lifted with 32's and running the 91-93 performance tune but I'll take it. ?
Sponsored