First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, SPORT
Occupation
Nurse
What tires we like is partial to opinions, I am looking for input of what tires to steer clear of? I know everyone has different experiences (good and bad) with different brands, buy let's hear what to steer clear of tire wise. Thanks in advance for input ..
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Tires to stay away from. Anfythat has a price that are to good to seem true. The are cheap Chinese tires, and the reviews suck. I would say any name brand should do you a good job. You can use www.tirerack.com to do some research, and get reviews of the tires.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The factory installed Hankooks are garbage.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Like anything else, you usually get what you pay for. The cheaper they are the better chances they’re garbage with no stopping power.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, just because they cost the most doesn’t necessarily mean they’re better!

Do your homework and then make an educated decision you can live with.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The factory installed Hankooks are garbage.
Why? I don’t find that to be true at all, but maybe we’re using them differently. On highway, gravel roads, etc. they are fine. They are a lightweight tire, which allows for good gas mileage and provides a quiet ride, but obviously the light weight would be a detriment for heavy off-roading.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why? I don’t find that to be true at all, but maybe we’re using them differently. On highway, gravel roads, etc. they are fine. They are a lightweight tire, which allows for good gas mileage and provides a quiet ride, but obviously the light weight would be a detriment for heavy off-roading.
I found them to be PERFECTLY acceptable as a dry road tire. However, their wet and snow traction is abysmal IMHO. Off road they're OK, in gravel, not great on rocks, and the sidewalls seem fairly thin.

Overall I expected a lot more out the factory tire on their "offroad spec" truck.

But then again, I usually find factory tires to be a compromise of some sort.