Three years, almost finished.

I.M. Gadget

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
It's been a while since I was here last, I've been out exploring. I think I've got it pretty much dialed in (except the rear bumper and swing out...).
- Rear rack
- Rooftop tent
- Roll up hard tonneau
- 285/70R17 Toyo A/T III's
- New crash bars
- 360 degree zombie lights
- Solar panels
- 200Ah battery
- Solar/DC charger
- Inverter
- Rear seat delete
- Swing out spare tire rack
- Milwaukee packout system
- Pacbrake rear air springs
- Smittybilt 10k winch
- Factor 55 recovery kit
I've spent a lot of days offroading and camping in everything from 40°C+ dry and dusty, through storms washouts and -20°C in the snowy mountains. I've put the winch and recovery kit through a few tough tests. My Ranger has taken everything I thrown at it and it's still plowing along. I love my Ranger.
Having issues uploading pictures so you'll have to go here: Ranger Pics
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So, I was looking at your photos and thinking how they had a familiar feeling, then I saw your location in your profile. I spent twenty two years living in Vancouver with many, many trips to the Okanagan, including a year long stint in Kelowna. Can’t get enough of that familiar scenery. Must be great to enjoy it all out of that great setup you have. Nicely built - enjoy!

I used to race mountain bikes in that 40° C/104° F + heat. @AzScorpion and the other AZ members aren’t the only ones living in a solar oven!

Last edited:

OP
OP

I.M. Gadget

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
So, I was looking at your photos and thinking how they had a familiar feeling, then I saw your location in your profile. I spent twenty two years living in Vancouver with many, many trips to the Okanagan, including a year long stint in Kelowna. Can’t get enough of that familiar scenery. Must be great to enjoy it all out of that great setup you have. Nicely built - enjoy!

I used to race mountain bikes in that 40° C/104° F + heat. @AzScorpion and the other AZ members aren’t the only ones living in a solar oven!
Thanks.
I grew up in Port Moody (35 yrs). Raced mountain bikes on Vancouver Island - downhill. Now in Vernon, I'm spending my dotage exploring all the backroads and goat trails of this beautiful province.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.
I grew up in Port Moody (35 yrs). Raced mountain bikes on Vancouver Island - downhill. Now in Vernon, I'm spending my dotage exploring all the backroads and goat trails of this beautiful province.
I was a XC racer - Burnt Bridge and Hammerfest on the island - Silver Star, Summerland in the Okanagan and all over the rest of BC and Canada - parts of the U.S. too. Vernon is awesome - love Kal Lake. Head southeast a bit and you might run into @scubasteve278 in the Nelson area.

Lateknightucd

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Jungle Edition
Occupation
Medical Compliance
The truck looks great!

I’m looking to do something similar for lighting on my bed rack, any insight on how you routed cables from the rack to the battery would be helpful. Through the cab? Along the frame? Thanks!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

I.M. Gadget

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
The truck looks great!

I’m looking to do something similar for lighting on my bed rack, any insight on how you routed cables from the rack to the battery would be helpful. Through the cab? Along the frame? Thanks!
Because I have the LiFePo battery in the bed that will charge off either the solar panels or the alternator (it will also charge the truck battery) I ended up running all of the cabling in liquid tight flex conduit along the frame and came up through the bed. Keeps things tidy and protected. I ran a few extra wires in there as well for future consideration.
The lights are all controlled with a Trigger Six Shooter to avoid running a bunch of wires through the firewall. I do have one kill switch in the cab to cut power to the Six Shooter module.
I'm out of town for a couple weeks right now without the truck but I'll post some pics of the routing when I get back.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Great looking setup Gary! Very impressive. Thanks

TN_cactus

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
Thanks.
It's the Wilco Hitchgate.
I am looking at buying the Wilco Hitchgate tire carrier. How happy are you with it? Does it really stick out as far as it looks in your pictures. It looks like there is almost 2 feet between the tailgate and the spare tire when you have it locked in place.

OP
OP

I.M. Gadget

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I am looking at buying the Wilco Hitchgate tire carrier. How happy are you with it? Does it really stick out as far as it looks in your pictures. It looks like there is almost 2 feet between the tailgate and the spare tire when you have it locked in place.
It's 13" from the tire to the tailgate. The closest part of the mount itself is about 9½". I've added a Rotopax mount to mine so I have two water containers between the spare tire and the tailgate.
It's ok. A bit of a pain sometimes if you're loading stuff in the bed. It blocks the reverse camera so you have to use those reflecty thingies on the sides and windshield of the truck.... mirrors? Is that the right word? I'm probably going to get rid of mine and get a roof rack and mount the spare up top.

20230323_140835.jpg

Last edited:

TN_cactus

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
It's 13" from the tire to the tailgate. The closest part of the mount itself is about 9½". I've added a Rotopax mount to mine so I have two water containers between the spare tire and the tailgate.
It's ok. A bit of a pain sometimes if you're loading stuff in the bed. It blocks the reverse camera so you have to use those reflecty thingies on the sides and windshield of the truck.... mirrors? Is that the right word? I'm probably going to get rid of mine and get a roof rack and mount the spare up top.

20230323_140835.jpg
Thank you for the detailed response and your experience. If I was closer, I would make you an offer.
Sponsored