Telematic Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Ranger collect and share telematic data of your driving, locations, and basically everything you do in or around the vehicle? Asking for a friend :bandit:
Sponsored

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Ranger collect and share telematic data of your driving, locations, and basically everything you do in or around the vehicle? Asking for a friend :bandit:
I was literally just going to post something similar, are you watching me right now ! Im actually more interested in the GPS interface also, I have a base model XLT and no interest in the GPS anything. I have stickers all over my truck saying 'this vehicle is traceable by law enforcement', I enjoy my privacy and dont need anyone having that option, can you disable the nanny module ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was literally just going to post something similar, are you watching me right now !

I think your question was just answered. :D

OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A thread over on the Tacoma forum peaked my interest in this topic.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
A thread over on the Tacoma forum peaked my interest in this topic.
user agreement when using waze on sync 3 states it will upload data to ford using your phone data to do so. The only reason i can think that it wants to use phone data is to collect GPS info. My truck has fordpass but not NAV. If it just wanted to update sync 3 software to new version it uses fordpass. Not so with waze.

OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
user agreement when using waze on sync 3 states it will upload data to ford using your phone data to do so. The only reason i can think that it wants to use phone data is to collect GPS info. My truck has fordpass but not NAV. If it just wanted to update sync 3 software to new version it uses fordpass. Not so with waze.
So as long as you dont use sync or have gps enabled on your phone they can't collect the data?

Where are my tin foil hat wearing ranger drivers? Aren't you guys concerned?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So as long as you dont use sync or have gps enabled on your phone they can't collect the data?

Where are my tin foil hat wearing ranger drivers? Aren't you guys concerned?
In a word............................................................no

people are being recorded everywhere they go Do you want to get off the grid? Going to have to move into the deep woods into a log cabin with no electricity. However, I'm not worried about them stealing my social posts or anything like that. I've got nothing to hide. But I do park in the garage every day. The same can be said about anyone who carries a cell phone.

The technical benefits far outweigh any fears

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In a word............................................................no

people are being recorded everywhere they go Do you want to get off the grid? Going to have to move into the deep woods into a log cabin with no electricity. However, I'm not worried about them stealing my social posts or anything like that. I've got nothing to hide. But I do park in the garage every day. The same can be said about anyone who carries a cell phone.

The technical benefits far outweigh any fears
Movin' to Montana...Going to raise me some Dental Floss...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see any benefits to having my location, speed, what time I open or close my doors, when I start or turn off my engine, who's calling/texting me, etc tracked. Who knows who Ford is selling this info to. Next thing you know it looks at your location and speed and realizes you're going slightly over the speed limit and guess what? The local pd sends a speeding ticket right to your house. No thanks.

OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I guess we'll just have to wait until then and see how it all plays out. But don't say I didn't warn you ;)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see any benefits to having my location, speed, what time I open or close my doors, when I start or turn off my engine, who's calling/texting me, etc tracked. Who knows who Ford is selling this info to. Next thing you know it looks at your location and speed and realizes you're going slightly over the speed limit and guess what? The local pd sends a speeding ticket right to your house. No thanks.
If you have a modern smartphone all of that is already done anyway. Smart phones are quite good at spying on you.

OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a modern smartphone all of that is already done anyway. Smart phones are quite good at spying on you.
You are correct and I'm not denying that, but I'm talking about vehicles not phones. I know I'm beating a dead horse with this on here, but I still think it's worth discussing and informing people that might not be aware of the capabilities these systems have and the repercussions that could be looming.

So lets say you have a issue with your truck and you take it into the dealer for warranty work. You just happen to go off roading the day before and had some aggressive spikes in your driving habits. The dealer then questions this and denies your warranty claim. Another scenario, you go to the dealer to trade/sell your vehicle and they use this data against you.

OP
OP

Apd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"So lets say you have a issue with your truck and you take it into the dealer for warranty work. You just happen to go off roading the day before and had some aggressive spikes in your driving habits. The dealer then questions this and denies your warranty claim. Another scenario, you go to the dealer to trade/sell your vehicle and they use this data against you."

this is absolutely fair in my opinion.

A warranty is based on an expected use of the truck (in my opinion, its a pretty wide brush stroke already), if that use falls outside a set parameter, then the warranty should definitely be questioned.
they shouldn't ever be expected to pay for an item you abused outside a tested limit if thats the case.
I'm sure not everyone agrees....but that depends on the side of the fence you're sitting on.
So you don't think going off road in your "Fx4 OFF ROAD" isn't a expected use of the truck? Perhaps I could of explained it better, I'm talking about having spikes such as gunning it to go up a steep hill or having a hard brake application while off road then going into the dealer for something unrelated and getting denied because of it. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and that's alright :like:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.