Tapping noise behind glovebox-Identification help

Ranger9229

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
My 2019 Ranger has been making a tapping noise from the glove box when I turn the truck off, and it will continue to make this noise for several minutes. It sounds almost exactly like an inkjet printer. A video of the noise here. Based on other complaints I’ve seen I think it may be the blend door actuator attempting to find the park position. Anyone else have this issue and confirmation of what causes it? I already brought the truck in for this issue and the dealership allegedly performed SSM 51313, the video I linked was taken after Ford “fixed” it. Thanks!
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
That’s a bit more constant than mine. I just noticed it the other day with a few clicks I never heard before but not that consistent like a rapid fire of clicks.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When mine went it sounded more like a higher pitched grinding/ clicking noise. Like 2 plastic gears trying to mesh together. It was also closer to the lower center stack because that's where the two actuators are located.

OP
OP
Ranger9229

Ranger9229

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
When mine went it sounded more like a higher pitched grinding/ clicking noise. Like 2 plastic gears trying to mesh together. It was also closer to the lower center stack because that's where the two actuators are located.
Thanks! I keep seeing the blend door actuator issue described as clicking though that is not how I would describe my noise. My warrantee is up in August so I’m trying to get this figured out before then. Ford keeps giving me the run around.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks! I keep seeing the blend door actuator issue described as clicking though that is not how I would describe my noise. My warrantee is up in August so I’m trying to get this figured out before then. Ford keeps giving me the run around.
If you already haven't try another dealer close by and see what they say. Also if you're planning on keeping it I would get an extended warranty. It seems it's inevitable that the blend door will go at some point and it's been averaging around $2,500+ to fix it. I bought my ESP from Flood Ford (they sell them just over cost) on my '19 and will be buying through them again soon for my '23. If you sell it you can get a pro rated refund too. Also add the LED lighting. For $50 it's a deal!

https://www.floodfordesp.com

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
I hear something that sounds like relays clicking for a while after I turn it off. Not sure if it's the same thing.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
....ticking time bomb 😰

The blend door failure is the Numero Uno reason to get the extended warranty. Number two is the transmission. For those of us with the full on LED setup, it's a tie. Anything else is a 'bonus.' 💰💰💰

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger9229

Ranger9229

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Trapped squirrel...
Lol, if so it is a trapped squirrel that only makes noise when I turn the truck off and he’s been in there for 6 months and evaded the Ford mechanics when they removed the dash to perform the HVAC recall.

stevensc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 XLT
Occupation
Retired seller of Sugar Cane Equipment
My 2019 w/65,000 mi. does the same thing sometimes, no problem, so far.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Should be easy to locate - pull glovebox and isolate noise - when turning off truck.
The Air Inlet door actuator- door is powered to the open position when truck is turned off - you can clearly see door movement through then ventilation grille.
Some have reported the Trailer Module - clicking as well- it is mounted on the lower right kick panel- just below the glove box
Sponsored

Last edited: