OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Yes, works with tailgate up or down.
Don't need a deep socket, standard will do with an extension, either 21 mm or 13/16 will work, but your going to need a proper 1/2 inch drive, preferably an impact rated socket...those bolts are TIGHT. I have a 1/2 inch Kobalt impact driver, so it was easy for me. If you don't have one, a good breaker bar will do it.
Mine is installed with the factory hitch.
If you look at the bumper mount/hitch mount, you'll see 3 bolts holding the mount to the frame. Only the two rear bolts come out, step goes in place and re-bolt. The nuts are captive/welded to the frame, so only the bolts come out. When the 2 bolts come out, nothing falls or moves out of place...the third bolt that you don't take out holds everything tight.
Really, with my impact wrench it took me less than 10 minutes to install....
:like:

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Decisions Decisions....buy a Toyo to get a factory step, or buy a Ranger and add my own ?
I may have to ponder this for a bit...Oh Wait, I already bought a good truck...my Ranger !!! :handsinair:
I couldn't find any info about that automatic step on the Tundra , I laid underneath and it looked like the Amp one with and actuator built on top , I bet it's pricey if it's even available separately at all , I just need a toe hold really to get me up there , not a full step , wish the bumper was cut out , but it's pretty flimsy around the corners...

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I couldn't find any info about that automatic step on the Tundra , I laid underneath and it looked like the Amp one with and actuator built on top , I bet it's pricey if it's even available separately at all , I just need a toe hold really to get me up there , not a full step , wish the bumper was cut out , but it's pretty flimsy around the corners...
Here's the least expensive bumper step route and to make it even easier to use, add a Damper...:LOL:

1677001849895.jpeg

Full (circled).jpg

Last edited:

Icemanhd

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired
DeeZee makes a nice permanent mount step for the drivers side. Custom fit and uses 2 bolts from the bumper support. Nice quality, steel and aluminum. Bought mine a year ago and use it everytime I get into the bed. But price has gone up since I bought it...now around $90.00.
Dee Zee for the win, Summit Racing had it for $70.99 and free shipping for orders over $100. Plus you can still use it when the tailgate is down.
Dee Zee Bumper Step.jpg

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Here's the least expensive bumper step route and to make it even easier to use, add a Damper...:LOL:

1677001849895.jpeg

Full (circled).jpg
Have the step already in the garage, but only use it if the door is down and no one could see me use it , My OCD would require a damper on each side like the bed steps do , that's why I have neither, yet ... Would 2 worn out dampers equal one slow tailgate drop or would I have to sit on it with 2 ?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with the Bestop, just around $90 vs $300
Dammit Steve I had forgotten how much I spent on that step!?
But works great and it matches(more or less) my AMP Power Steps.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dammit Steve I had forgotten how much I spent on that step!?
But works great and it matches(more or less) my AMP Power Steps.
Mike,
Watch out for Steve :bandit: ...he's one of those guys who tries to get you to buy mods you didn't know you needed or that you didn't know existed... :LOL: :crackup:

Bills coming out of wallet.png

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Mike,
Watch out for Steve :bandit: ...he's one of those guys who tries to get you to buy mods you didn't know you needed or that you didn't know existed... :LOL: :crackup:

Bills coming out of wallet.png
Yeah, but I would have gotten him to spend the $70-$90 rather then the $300 !!!